Domain Empire

sales BBC - The race to buy AI website addresses (domains)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

silentg

DomainRetail.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So pantry.ai sold for $12k and we don’t know what domain supposedly sold for 300k and then $1.5m months later.

•••
Yet more advertorial from the impartial bbc.

•••
I mean the speculator rush is long since over. If you hand register an .ai domain now to sell you'll just end up losing money.

•••
So pantry.ai sold for $12k and we don’t know what domain supposedly sold for 300k and then $1.5m months later.
A lot of deals are undisclosed, so...

•••
Yeah , of course BBC

Cause if someone gives you a car worth 80K for 25K you wouldn’t take it huh

•••
If you load the BBC website, you're funding shi*e.

•••
I loaded up on one word .AI domains in late 2015, early 2016 And these one word domains were taken in at least 200 other extensions, some in over 400.
Unfortunately, I regged only about 60, not 600.
First year another extension has exceeded my .com sales - 2023 -- and year still ain't over.
As one word domains like even drafts.ai and pinecone.ai are fetching 5 figures, per this week's Dynadot ,AI expired auction, I can see entrepreneurs and startups turning to .BOT ---- Grok the Bot can move the needle

•••
I mean the speculator rush is long since over. If you hand register an .ai domain now to sell you'll just end up losing money.
Yep -- all the best .AI domains were taken by early 2017 for registration
by 2018, you would need to pay 4 figures to get a decent .AI domain
2022, 5 figures to get a decent .AI domain
2023 === will still take 5 figures for a one word .ai taken in at least 100 extensions

•••
Yes simply because u can not find a ONE-WORD or TWO-WORD meaningful keyword for hand reg

•••
Don't worry you're not missing out on much. It'll be on the board as a fad that came and went in about 1 years time

•••
Yes simply because u can not find a ONE-WORD or TWO-WORD meaningful keyword for hand reg
That's how it is with all domains, when they become a valuable the few ones that are still available get snatched.

But that's the point. The speculator rush is over. There's no point in hoarding these domains anymore.

•••
How do you do, fellow speculators? :xf.rolleyes:
I thought journalism was supposed to be impartial.
Actually, can't really blame them, since this word was used by the CEO of Escrow.com.
I guess Mr Barrie doesn't have the best opinion about his clients. :unsure:
Seemingly Mr Udemme, a "domain broker", said something similar, but there is no direct quote.

Last edited:
•••
The keyword is meaningful. I'm sure there are available ONE-WORD in the (.AI) extension. I think the first question that should be asked is, "Is this a Business Name".

If the marketplace Only wants previously registered ONE-WORD English dictionary words, I don't know what to say. All of my domains are hand registered. I'm not in the drop catch or buying premium domains to flip.

I don't have the bandwidth to understand how or why pantry dot ai sold.

•••
The keyword is meaningful. I'm sure there are available ONE-WORD in the (.AI) extension. I think the first question that should be asked is, "Is this a Business Name".

If the marketplace Only wants previously registered ONE-WORD English dictionary words, I don't know what to say. All of my domains are hand registered. I'm not in the drop catch or buying premium domains to flip.

There are no meaningful one-word domain available for .ai

•••
Don't worry you're not missing out on much. It'll be on the board as a fad that came and went in about 1 years time
Fad? Hardly but yes, .ai may be deemed a fad by those who own zero great .AI domains
A trend is far different from a fad. Trends become part of the zeitgeist
Ai will not even reach critical mass until circa 2035

And this trend is soaring upwards:
"According to Google Trends, the “ai domain” search term has grown by 203% in the past year, with over 18,000 searches/month. One of the main factors driving this trend is ChatGPT’s release on November 30, 2022. Its success has led organizations worldwide to build their own AI-based services, urging them to secure their own.ai domain"

In 2040, expect the next big extension to be .AGI ( Artificial General Intelligence) to accentuate its capabilities over mere .AI

•••
In 2040, expect the next big extension to be .AGI ( Artificial General Intelligence) to accentuate its capabilities over mere .AI
Just pure fantasy. Sorry.

•••
There are no meaningful one-word domain available for .ai
Paul, if you can find a meaningful, as in good, one word .AI domain to register now, you're a better searcher than I. it's possible., but not likely.

•••
Just pure fantasy. Sorry.
My bank account says otherwise. An ai company I cofounded in Montreal was acquired with a sweet exit, and at least 40 of my .ai domains have been acquired since 2016--- if you think that's a fantasy, then we're all living in a simulation --- and I'm not refuting this as a possibility.

But if this is "just pure fantasy", keep bringing it -- my kids love the global traveling :)

•••
My bank account says otherwise. An ai company I cofounded in Montreal was acquired with a sweet exit, and at least 40 of my .ai domains have been acquired since 2016--- if you think that's a fantasy, then we're all living in a simulation --- and I'm not refuting this as a possibility.

But if this is "just pure fantasy", keep bringing it -- my kids love the global traveling :)
You didn't read what I replied to

•••
You might be jumping the gun on TWO_WORD meaningful keywords. Straight from CHAT GPT.

The number of two-word combinations you can make from the English dictionary depends on the number of words in the dictionary.
Estimates for the number of words in the English language vary, but the Oxford English Dictionary contains full entries for 171,476 words in current use, and 47,156 obsolete words1. Another source, Merriam-Webster, suggests that the vocabulary of English includes roughly 1 million words2.
If we consider the larger estimate of 1 million words, the number of two-word combinations you can make is the square of the number of words, because each word in the combination can be any of the 1 million words.
So, using the formula for the number of combinations of n items taken r at a time (without repetition), which is n^r, we get:
1,000,0002=1,000,000,000,0001,000,0002=1,000,000,000,000
So, there are potentially 1 trillion two-word combinations in the English language if we consider a dictionary of 1 million words. Please note that this is a rough estimate and the actual number could be different depending on the specific words and rules you use for combining them.

•••
I've used chat gpt to generate names and it fails almost all of the time. The requirements asked for are not met. Anyone trusting chatgpt like it's some kind've domain name God shouldn't be doing.

•••
I would have thought it's likely related to food, drink etc reordering through your chosen supplier. The AI Pantry would recognise low stock, use-by-dates and even seasonal purchases. The reordering just presents itself as a list to say Yes or no to. For a family it's amazing how much time is spent on such tasks. No scanning or user input required.

I could be wrong

I have to say, my belief is the AI boom is going to be phenomenal but I still think it is better to focus on the relevant marketable .COMS, these mostly don't contain a 'direct reference' to AI (or those two letters) but more of an inference to the products and technology in general. Obviously I'm returning to the Brandable aspect of the domains but also the longevity and flexibility going forward.

Horses for courses of course but I love to be inventive in a market knowledge type-of-way. short and sweet being the main guideline

Last edited:
•••
Fad? Hardly but yes, .ai may be deemed a fad by those who own zero great .AI domains
A trend is far different from a fad. Trends become part of the zeitgeist
Ai will not even reach critical mass until circa 2035

And this trend is soaring upwards:
"According to Google Trends, the “ai domain” search term has grown by 203% in the past year, with over 18,000 searches/month. One of the main factors driving this trend is ChatGPT’s release on November 30, 2022. Its success has led organizations worldwide to build their own AI-based services, urging them to secure their own.ai domain"

you are correct

•••
AI is huge and will continue to be huge, but again people are making the common mistake like they do every time... The faddy name "AI" will fade into irrelevance like everything else.

When everything is AI it's just nothingness - not a differentiator.

It's like saying that we should all invest in MVC domains cause most websites use it behind the scenes.

Grab them while they're hot and make some money, but don't expect "AI" to stick around or morph mysteriously into something else like AGI that nobody will ever care about imho.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back