Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Dave_Z

Electrifying GuyTop Member
Impact
http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetails.asp?id=86966&cat=World

Battle over 'sandwich' domain name
CAPE COD, Mass. | June 09, 2005 2:11:53 AM IST

A Massachusetts innkeeper and a British-based business owned by descendants of the Earl of Sandwich, are battling over an Internet domain name.

Brian Clifford, innkeeper at The Earl of Sandwich Motel has been accused of cybersquatting by the sandwich company owned by descendants of the original Earl of Sandwich, the Cape Cod Times reported Wednesday.

Clifford says he purchased the the Internet domain name in the mid-1990s and his Web site has become an integral part of his $250,000-per-year business.

However, Gary Davis, chief executive officer of Earl of Sandwich, says the company that sells pre-packaged sandwiches to shops and restaurants in England has plans to franchise in the United States.

The sandwich company would prefer if Clifford would adopt a new Web address -- earlofsandwichmotel.com.

Clifford has consulted a lawyer who said he had a strong case to keep the domain name, but said a legal battle could be lengthy and cost $2,500 to $50,000 with no guarantees.

At first I couldn't understand what the domain is...until I searched for the
Massachusetts inkeeper and found the name in question: earlofsandwich.com.

He should be able to keep it, I'm sure. But it's a legal hassle.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is terrible, this is like google sueing froogles when in fact google registered froogle TM after Froogles. The sandwich company "PLANS" to franchise in the U.S. that is bad, why doesnt earl of sandwich register a different domain, it is their fault they didnt register the name before now.

•••
alaxsxa said:
That is terrible, this is like google sueing froogles when in fact google registered froogle TM after Froogles. The sandwich company "PLANS" to franchise in the U.S. that is bad, why doesnt earl of sandwich register a different domain, it is their fault they didnt register the name before now.

They actually did: earlofsandwich.co.uk :D

Some people just have to learn things the hard way, I guess...

•••
Someone should tell them to register earlofsandwich.us before some real cybersquatter beats them to it.

•••
i am tempted to register earlofsandwich.us but i thought i better leave it lol

•••
Mystic said:
i am tempted to register earlofsandwich.us but i thought i better leave it lol
Considering you're also UK-based from your profile, better not risk it. ;)

You tried any of their sandwiches, by the way? :hehe:

•••
alaxsxa said:

But...they did it!
Froogle vs Froogles
"Froogle vs Froogles (Google Blogoscoped, 2005-04-20)

Google has been suing Froogles.com for trademark infringement, and Derek Balling shares his thoughts on this. (Why is it every second article on Google starts with "Google says don't be evil, but..."?) [Via Zawodny.]"
http://www.webrankinfo.com/english/seo-news/topic-3888.htm

:cy:

it is someway related with what I say in another post:
http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=98104

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back