IT.COM

Basic form

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have or know of a basic text form for an html site that when inputed text is entered it comes up with
the Field name as well in the email

kinda like

Blank form -
Name:
Address:

then email will look like
Filled in form
Name: wendy
Address: etc

about 13 fields and if possible, the ability to easily add checkboxes.
all I have is dreamweaver for editing.
Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you're using WordPress, the Form Maker plugin will do this for you automatically... HTML also won't send an email, but you can use JavaScript to format it like that after it's typed in.

•••
It's not wordpress or php, it's all basic html
javascript would work with it I think. I'll have to go on a search.

•••

Every hosting site should have php enabled.....I can't imagine anywhere where you are limited to HTML.
You have to handle the post somehow - how are you doing that? You can't do it on the client side which is what JS I think you're talking about.

Soooo... look for a PHP form with spam filter.

•••
Every hosting site should have php enabled.....I can't imagine anywhere where you are limited to HTML.
You have to handle the post somehow - how are you doing that? You can't do it on the client side which is what JS I think you're talking about.

Soooo... look for a PHP form with spam filter.
I just said JS for formatting once everything is put in. It's not gonna handle sending the actual email though. :-/

•••
You're getting good info here.

The HTML - what you edit in Dreamweaver - is just what is called the presentation layer, ie the visible skin. The moving parts under the surface that do anything such as send an email need a scripting language to work, not just HTML. There are numerous scripting languages, but something like Wordpress uses PHP and forms for PHP are easy to find.

Do your site's files end in .html or .htm or .php or something else?

•••
Thanks,

yes my host has all the current php etc

the site is all .html with just a small bit of content on each page with a couple of .jpg's
didn't want to go php route as I don't know it as well and didn't want to spend
a lot of time on this.

and because I don't know what I'm looking for, it makes it difficult to find.

a contact form with about 13 fields, I need the field title and content
to be captured in an out going email when Submit is entered.

what would this be called? lol

•••
•••
It would be called "php contact form" most likely :)

•••
It would be called "php contact form" most likely :)
Well, the form was put together in DreamWeaver, so there is no point of getting a script when the data can just be scrubbed, passed mail() and redirected and/or a message stating the email has been sent. Otherwise, much time wasted when there are scripts and plugins that could have made the form in minutes...

•••
Well, the form was put together in DreamWeaver, so there is no point of getting a script when the data can just be scrubbed, passed mail() and redirected and/or a message stating the email has been sent. Otherwise, much time wasted when there are scripts and plugins that could have made the form in minutes...

You're working under the assumption that Wendy has any idea how to get something to take the form and create and email from it. How does she get the field names into the email?

Now throw in what if fields are blank... what if someone hits send with blank fields but they are the allowed to be blank ones? what do you want the response to be - new page, same page, same form, thanks message?

Now throw in something that has an anti-spam component.

A link to a mail function doesn't really do much. I'm sure a php form somewhere has all that function built in and ready to go. I don't have time to find a php form that has been tested as bs and hack free.

Otherwise, much time wasted when there are scripts and plugins that could have made the form in minutes...
Exactly.. she just needs the right search terms: PHP Input Form seems to be the way to go.

A basic thing with source ( I haven't looked at it) is here:
http://nfriedly.com/techblog/2009/11/how-to-build-a-spam-free-contact-forms-without-captchas/

There's a generator here:
http://www.formmail-maker.com/generator.php

No idea if that produces decent output or not

•••
Thanks for the help David, having the correct terms does help me :alien2:
I like this one here too that you posted http://php.net/manual/en/function.mail.php
this is the one I am working on today :)

and you are right DU, I don't have the ability to make this php form work
I created one last night but trying to integrate it into the site is difficult
and beyond my expertise. So I may just create it on a separate page and just link to the form.

Thanks for all the suggestions and links, they are very helpful in determining the best route. :)

•••
•••
I have one created in html Form Action with DW - however it does not capture the info from form,
nor does it go anywhere when I use Submit :(
not sure where to tweak this.

•••
I have one created in html Form Action with DW - however it does not capture the info from form,
nor does it go anywhere when I use Submit :(
not sure where to tweak this.

Hi in the form there is a section called Action which tells you what page the form is sent to when you click Submit. Sometimes the form just submits to the page it is on (might say "" or "#", which then also handles processing and sending or rejecting the submitted contents. So yes you could have a single standalone page on your site that handles it all - you'd just want to style it so it looks like it fits in.

The other issue is validation - checking data validity so people don't submit with impossible email addresses or empty fields. You may find forms that do that for you.

•••
Thanks for the info carob, I was looking for the ""where it goes" part lol
it has something there already but I'm guessing it's not what I need since it isin't doing
what it's supposed to.

Going to tweak it later tonight and see where I end up :)

•••
You'll find that the only thing more fun than writing your own email contact form is sifting through the massive amounts of garbled spam you will receive once the bots find it.

Here is a link to an article about reducing spam (without using captcha!), and the end of it even provides a link to a fully functioning version of the form and php processing file. There really isn't much to his code and its documented reasonably well, so it should be pretty easy to implement.

Edit: Just realized DU already linked this article, but I'm gonna go ahead and second it.

•••
Yes, Java script also works properly.

•••
I have also created one form using html.

•••
You can use a third-party form mailer, like this one I founded!

http://FormToEmail.com

All you need is the basic HTML form on your web page. The form gets posted to formtoemail.com and from there gets emailed to you. You set all your required fields, spam blocks etc on formtoemail.com

•••
What is your site address? I can rebuild it for you if you need it phone friendly. PM me if you like.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back