NameSilo

Bad browser detector script?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was attempting to enter this page although I have no idea what it's about http://www.pgy1md.com and the page started loading and suddenly I got redirected to a page with this message:

"You are receiving this message because you are using an old version of the Netscape Navigator browser version 4.7 or lower. This site is only compatible with the Internet Explorer browser version 5.0+ and Netscape Navigator 6.0.1, optimized for 1024x768 resolution. Please upgrade to a newer browser before viewing this site.

Click here to download Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5
Click here to download Netscape Navigator 6.0

www.pgy1md.com"

I am using IE 6.0 and I have Netscape Navigator 7.0 installed. Does this happen for anyone else?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
yep i got the same message and im using internet exploer 6.0 already

•••
Loaded fine for me, i'm using IE6.0

•••
It also loaded for me, but I must admit that this was a stupid use for any such script. The site could easily work with a few workarounds. Notice that there is no real new technology in use. Nothing newer than CSS1, really. And they're still using tables. In any case, the only reason I see a use for such a thing is in two cases:

1.) You want to use pure CSS for your layout. In which case, simply provide a link(hidden with CSS, so only non-CSS compliant browsers can see it) but as you can easily see, they're still using the ancient technique of the table-based layout.

2.) You're using the DOM. Certain browsers, including Opera and older versions of IE and Netscape will simply crash when exposed to the DOM. This is the ONLY case I can understand someone using a redirect script.

Even in cases where you're using CSS 3 selectors, there are CSS tricks to link to differant CSS files for differant browsers.

•••
I don't know maybe me and Kattygurl have a problem with our browsers or something. :D

•••
Do you two install all patches from Microsoft? I do. Pistol, do you?

•••
lol i dont know if i do or not, but this computer is almost ready to die and be reformated, i been holding off as long as i can but i dont think its going to hold off much longer shrugs...will be the first time i reformatted this thing in 3 years, so i guess i goingt o have to do it soon.

•••
Originally posted by DarkDevil
Do you two install all patches from Microsoft? I do. Pistol, do you?

Yes I install the patches for Internet Explorer.

•••
Same, i'm gonna reformat a week before march break because i'm going to a lanparty to play counter-strike. Its gonna kick ass

•••
I also got the bad browser message, although the page loaded for me then it went to the message. who knows whats wrong with it
:-/

•••
that is what the page did for me was load and then go to the message.... computers i tell ya they are tempermental.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back