IT.COM

Average Portfolio Size?

NameSilo
Watch

CoolBn

Upgraded Member
Impact
I'm new to this, and I'm just curious to see how large the average domainer's portfolio is...I currently have 344. Just interested to see where I fall in the pack...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
By reading this thread many fellow domaines would now agree that it all depends on different factors. Like:

1. How one is taking domaining; either part time, full time, seasonal, or as a hobby.
2. Is s/he a motivated seller or more like an investor.
3. What monthly sales volume s/he achieves.
4. How much $$$ s/he earns on a monthly basis.
5. Whether there's a pan to invest further or to sell existing inventory first without buying new ones.
6. And so on...

Then again, the size of domain portfolio has more to do with what you plan on doing in the field of domaining. If you have significant capital, you can invest in buying lots of quality domains (focus on the word "quality" here), but if you want to start small (which is highly recommended if you are new to this game), then it would be O.K to buy 10-20 good domains and sell them first, and then rinse and repeat.

In the end, what matters is how much $ales you make and how much quality your domains offer to their respective market (demand wise).

Hope it helps.
Great information! :xf.smile:

•••
There are many tools and websites to help you manage your domains. I think if you use a tool from a registrar, then it is anything but independent. But independent or not, I don't think it matters. Just get a tool you like regardless of where it comes from. For me I use an Excel spreadsheet that has evolved to do all the things I want and I have not seen a commercial tool that does. Excel can do some amazing things with domains management if you know how.

Oh and 6.75 and about 800.
Yes, I meant for that to be read as "independent/outside of a registrar"...I was interested in finding out if a commercial tool existed. I use excel too, but it is very basic. I'll google some examples and see what's out there...

•••
Hello!

Right now I have 175 (96 .com and the rest in 16 different extensions).

It seems my strategy is similar to @vd90 's. I try to sell domains for low prices and I have not yet payed for any renewal.

I started “domaining” in July 2014 (some of the domains registered back then and even now don’t measure up to the real word “domaining”, but anyway…). I have a fulltime job so this would be a part-time occupation. I didn’t have much money to invest so my best option was hand registrations. And so it has been since then. All my domains have been hand registered (and it shows!!! :))

For the past year and 2/3 months I’ve sold 78 out of my total 253 registered domains.

The average cost price of my domains is around $5,52 and my averaged sale price is around $18,70 (some have been sold with a loss, to prevent costs from increasing because of renewals). This means, so far, my average ROI is 239%, which I think is quite good for a part-time amateur not english native “domainer” wannabe. ;)

A few months ago I broke even. That is, I made a (small) profit, above my total registrations costs. For now, I have around 20 domains that I’m not eager to sell very quickly because I think these may be worth something better in the future. As for the others, my goal is to sell them before they turn 1 year old!

I’m looking forward to see what happens next and I’m willing to keep learning from all you real domainers! Advices are welcome!! :)

Best regards!
Thanks for the insight and good luck! :D

•••
Anyone know of any independent (from a registrar) portfolio management tools and/or programs to track profit and loss?

a. brain
b. notepad
c. excel
d. all of the above

•••
•••
•••
•••
Yes, I meant for that to be read as "independent/outside of a registrar"...I was interested in finding out if a commercial tool existed. I use excel too, but it is very basic. I'll google some examples and see what's out there...

I started a thread a couple days ago aimed at collecting Excel tips for domainers. You can make your spreadsheet do alot.

•••
Awesome! I'll go check it out :D

•••
Nice Info Here, I thought You could sell a domain over night an that it happens in the blink of an eye I see it takes Persistent an Patients.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back