IT.COM

Average Portfolio Size?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CoolBn

Upgraded Member
Impact
I'm new to this, and I'm just curious to see how large the average domainer's portfolio is...I currently have 344. Just interested to see where I fall in the pack...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes, quality is a factor...none of my domains are crappy, random selections...the majority of mine are brandables. I was trying to get an idea of how much the average person invests in starting and maintaining their portfolios, and to figure out if there is a number at which having too many can hurt your chances of being profitable. Not hosting a pissing contest here...just seeking out best practices and analyzing beginners vs. seasoned domainers...
None of your domains are crappy random selections? You're a beginner dealing in the brandable market. You may not see it now but I can promise you that there are crappy random selections in your portfolio that you just don't know about yet. Re-visit this post in a year and see how many of those names you still think are gems. We have all been there.

•••
Anyone know of any independent (from a registrar) portfolio management tools and/or programs to track profit and loss?

For me, I just use an excel spreadsheet to monitor my current 900 or so names and all associated costs, sales , profit, etc

•••
As newbie I currently stand on 185 domains.
And planing to drop/sell about 50.

•••
I've read that the average portfolio size is 5.5 inches. Or maybe it wasn't portfolio, but another word that started with 'p'?
Epic ..

I think it should be ranked with quality first. The number of domains does not matter at all while quality does. Personally I think, 100 domains portfolio is O.K.

•••
I currently have about 2,400 domains. I have had as many as 6,600 domains at one time, which was way too many.

•••

I consider myself a very slow long term investor.
It's takes months for me to add a domain name to my portfolio.

•••
I have around 1000 names at present. most of the domains I have are liquid in nature except about 200 keyword .com's,, about 100 unpopular extensions and some scrap (one word .us and Ngtld's)

•••
I have 20-30 in my portfolio. I find this to be manageable as I work full time as well. If domaining was my FT job I would definitely be looking to have a lot lot more.

Last edited:
•••
By reading this thread many fellow domaines would now agree that it all depends on different factors. Like:

1. How one is taking domaining; either part time, full time, seasonal, or as a hobby.
2. Is s/he a motivated seller or more like an investor.
3. What monthly sales volume s/he achieves.
4. How much $$$ s/he earns on a monthly basis.
5. Whether there's a pan to invest further or to sell existing inventory first without buying new ones.
6. And so on...

Then again, the size of domain portfolio has more to do with what you plan on doing in the field of domaining. If you have significant capital, you can invest in buying lots of quality domains (focus on the word "quality" here), but if you want to start small (which is highly recommended if you are new to this game), then it would be O.K to buy 10-20 good domains and sell them first, and then rinse and repeat.

In the end, what matters is how much $ales you make and how much quality your domains offer to their respective market (demand wise).

Hope it helps.

•••
Anyone know of any independent (from a registrar) portfolio management tools and/or programs to track profit and loss?

There are many tools and websites to help you manage your domains. I think if you use a tool from a registrar, then it is anything but independent. But independent or not, I don't think it matters. Just get a tool you like regardless of where it comes from. For me I use an Excel spreadsheet that has evolved to do all the things I want and I have not seen a commercial tool that does. Excel can do some amazing things with domains management if you know how.

Oh and 6.75 and about 800.

•••
Why do I get the feeling that this is your mantra?

Anyways, I'm at about 240 names right now.

I don't know,why do you get that feeling? Do you know what a mantra is?

•••
None of your domains are crappy random selections? You're a beginner dealing in the brandable market. You may not see it now but I can promise you that there are crappy random selections in your portfolio that you just don't know about yet. Re-visit this post in a year and see how many of those names you still think are gems. We have all been there.
I'd like to add to this that quality, especially when you're talking about brandables, is an opinion. Occasionally one domainer's trash is another one's treasure. But generally, one domainer's trash is another domainer's trash.

•••
Why do I get the feeling that this is your mantra?

Anyways, I'm at about 240 names right now.
Oh, I get it it now. So riddle me, why do I get the feeling that 5.5 inches is the diameter of your anus?

•••
•••
Just a bit over 200 at the moment. I was trying to get under 100, but had a change of heart on new gtlds, so I registered around 100 of those in the last 6 months plus some purchases on tdnam I could not pass up.

•••
Today, I have about 300 domains.

I want to improve the quality more than quantity. So I will keep less 400 domains.

10% of them I received offer but no sold ($300 - $1,000)

•••
Hello!

Right now I have 175 (96 .com and the rest in 16 different extensions).

It seems my strategy is similar to @vd90 's. I try to sell domains for low prices and I have not yet payed for any renewal.

I started “domaining” in July 2014 (some of the domains registered back then and even now don’t measure up to the real word “domaining”, but anyway…). I have a fulltime job so this would be a part-time occupation. I didn’t have much money to invest so my best option was hand registrations. And so it has been since then. All my domains have been hand registered (and it shows!!! :))

For the past year and 2/3 months I’ve sold 78 out of my total 253 registered domains.

The average cost price of my domains is around $5,52 and my averaged sale price is around $18,70 (some have been sold with a loss, to prevent costs from increasing because of renewals). This means, so far, my average ROI is 239%, which I think is quite good for a part-time amateur not english native “domainer” wannabe. ;)

A few months ago I broke even. That is, I made a (small) profit, above my total registrations costs. For now, I have around 20 domains that I’m not eager to sell very quickly because I think these may be worth something better in the future. As for the others, my goal is to sell them before they turn 1 year old!

I’m looking forward to see what happens next and I’m willing to keep learning from all you real domainers! Advices are welcome!! :)

Best regards!

•••
Good Strategy bro

I feel domaining is not an overnight get rich scheme, its a shop for me where I purchase domain and sale them at 40-50% margin. Its much better then most of the local business.

I hope this help to others.

•••
Only around 35 domains currently. Looking to decrease them to 20. My strategy is to have 20 high quality domains rather than crappy 200 or 2000 domains. I sell my domains quickly for profit then I use that money to buy better domains. I keep repeating this process so that I can keep buying and selling better and better domains. ;)
Great strategy here...extremely low risk :xf.smile:

•••
I had 50, then I dropped about 25-30 of them. The reason I had 50% crap in my portfolio is because I started just a year ago. But I do understand now more or less what's the criteria of a quality domain name..
I feel very confident and happy with my last registers which were about 5 domains in total.
I don't register alot as I used to. I check the dropped domains section almost everyday although It feels like expired domains are more liquidate and there are more possibilities of finding a gem at a reasonable price. Meaning I rather have a 100 expired domains than a 1,000 of deleted ones.

I'll make a side-pot for domaining, putting a steady income to my domaining account, and use it for new purchases and renewals,when it will be possible :)

•••
Hello!

Right now I have 175 (96 .com and the rest in 16 different extensions).

It seems my strategy is similar to @vd90 's. I try to sell domains for low prices and I have not yet payed for any renewal.

I started “domaining” in July 2014 (some of the domains registered back then and even now don’t measure up to the real word “domaining”, but anyway…). I have a fulltime job so this would be a part-time occupation. I didn’t have much money to invest so my best option was hand registrations. And so it has been since then. All my domains have been hand registered (and it shows!!! :))

For the past year and 2/3 months I’ve sold 78 out of my total 253 registered domains.

The average cost price of my domains is around $5,52 and my averaged sale price is around $18,70 (some have been sold with a loss, to prevent costs from increasing because of renewals). This means, so far, my average ROI is 239%, which I think is quite good for a part-time amateur not english native “domainer” wannabe. ;)

A few months ago I broke even. That is, I made a (small) profit, above my total registrations costs. For now, I have around 20 domains that I’m not eager to sell very quickly because I think these may be worth something better in the future. As for the others, my goal is to sell them before they turn 1 year old!

I’m looking forward to see what happens next and I’m willing to keep learning from all you real domainers! Advices are welcome!! :)

Best regards!

Did you sell 78 domains mainly to other domainers or did you make outbound sales to end users for many of them?

•••
Did you sell 78 domains mainly to other domainers or did you make outbound sales to end users for many of them?
Hello!

I'm not completely sure because most of my sales were made through auctions (Godaddy and Flippa). I figure that for the most part, other domainers or resellers have bought my domains. There was only one particular sale I made direct contact with an end user that I am aware of.

Best regards!

•••
I hear you....I'm pretty sober about my projections, but I might discover a few surprises as time passes. I'll be sure to update you so you can publicly roast me :xf.grin:

•••
I currently have about 2,400 domains. I have had as many as 6,600 domains at one time, which was way too many.
That's incredible...what was the fallout from registering so many domains at once?

•••
I have 20-30 in my portfolio. I find this to be manageable as I work full time as well. If domaining was my FT job I would definitely be looking to have a lot lot more.
I'm a part timer too...I want to know what it takes to do this full time, and if it is a sustainable career if you're not running a brokerage...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back