IT.COM

discuss Automated appraisals

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

rubencouto

DN FrontTop Member
Impact
Hello!

Yes, I know automated appraisals are not to be trusted! :)

However, even so, every now and then I like to know about Estibot's "point of view". Looking into some .net and .or valuations something interesting shows up.

So it seems that Estibot considers most of .net domains less valuable than their counterpart in .org. Except for premium names, most of the others are more valuable according to Estibot if they are in .org. Does it make any sense?

Examples:

Gold.net $84,000
Gold.org $58,000

Inet.net $8,000
Inet.org $8,000

Abcd.net $5,200
Abcd.org $7,600

Tttt.net $1,900
Tttt.org $3,300

Zzzz.net $1,900
Zzzz.org $2,500

Geju.net $270
Geju.org $1,600

In my opinion, this serves to demonstrate the inaccuracy of such automated valuation systems. However, I would like to hear your input on this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
the bot, does not have "a point of view"

as point of views are human characteristics

so, looking for "sense" in that respect, is senseless

imo....

•••
the bot, does not have "a point of view"

as point of views are human characteristics

so, looking for "sense" in that respect, is senseless

imo....
... hence the scare quotes! :)

•••
.org vs .net - .org will sell better in certain segments, as .org can be the first choice eg. nature.org is better than nature.net. .Net is almost always the second choice, when .com isn't available. However, I don't think their system has mapped out this difference correctly.

Estibot's valuation of estibot.com is $0. Will they sell the domain for that price?

Take any domain sold on brandbucket, their valuations would be < $10.

Estibot, is good as a thumb-rule for resale market for standard domain types. Definitely not for end-user sales.

•••
There likely is some logic behind the relative difference in appraised values ...

.Net would be more inclined to hold value in commercial areas ...
while .Org would be higher for informational and non-commercial based sites.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back