IT.COM

Auctions GoDaddy Price Increase

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Has anybody else noticed that the the Min Bid Price for GoDaddy Auctions is going up to $15 from tomorrow's expiring auctions? Did they make any announcement about this? If they did, could somebody post it here?

They experimented with $11 and $12 auctions last month. I asked my Account Manager, and he seemed to deny it, by saying "What $11 & $12 auctions". When I gave him proof, he never replied. They subsequently dropped them. But this looks permanent because every new auction appears to be at $15.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If that is the case, they will be losing a lot of business. I have pulled back from purchasing there over the last year as the quality has gone downhill & the competition increased due to sites making it easy for lazy people to click a few things & get a list sorted.

•••
I agree HBK. Volume of domains has gone up. Quality of names has declined. I'm still participating but being very selective. I can't wade thru all those expiring domains any more. Takes too long.

So can anybody confirm that this is a permanent increase?

•••
And what happened to the BIN prices if no-one bids? They used to go straight to $5, and I snagged a few that way. Now they seem to go a daily declining BIN price starting at about $12. I get "news" email from GoDaddy almost every few days, wonder why all these price changes never made it in to a newsletter..?

•••
I'm not sure what happens if no one bids. Still trying to figure that out.

•••
OK. This is what happens if nobody bids on the $15 price tag domains. They drop to $9 in the $9-$5 drop cycle.

•••
Thanks for the update. I skimmed around & noticed the $15 price tag. This is a definite bad move in my opinion. The only good thing that could possibly come from this is less competition.

•••
It just smacks of GD trying to squeeze every $ out of their auctions. I don't blame them for that. But for me, I'm only going to bid on these $15 auctions if I was going to bid more than $15 anyway. I'm no longer going to take a punt. I'll wait for it to drop to $9 and below. Personally, I think they'll sell less domains at $15 than they did at $10. The valuable domains will always sell above $15 anyway. So, I don't think this is a smart move. They must have learned this when they scrapped the $11 & $12 auctions.

•••
GoDaddy's making a smart move. Low auction price starts yield low final values.

It sucks for we the buyers, but from GD's perspective, how many single bid auctions occur. Enough that I bet they make more money.

•••
I like how the forum members here are so in the know of GoDaddy's current demographics, business strategies, and their individual strategies' performance, that they can state with absolute certainty the results of an action like this.

Please share some more insider golden nuggets.

Or accept just cause it's bad for you - does not mean it is bad for business.

Prices change in commerce, that's the nature of it - especially when you have a system wherein private corporations control the money supply.

I heavily doubt this is permanent. Few things are, if any - and especially so in commerce. It's definitely an experiment, just like all of their business practices - all of any business practices, anyway - and based on the content in Bob's Vlog, I bet they see it that way too.

Thanks for reporting about this - understandable that the official source wouldn't report it, not smart from a HR POV IMO (lol), unless they are simply selective accounts which get hit with this increase.

•••
considering namejet and snap are considerably higher I'm sure this number will continue to increase, wouldn't surpise me if it grows to $20-$30 over the next few years as it would still be cheaper than the alternates.

•••
What I can't figure out is why a $15 domain ends up as a $10 domain after a bid is placed on it. I tried placing a $10 bid, and GoDaddy wouldn't let me. Anybody got any ideas why this happens?

•••
yes, now i check it and seem so strange that $15 for the lowest aution price and i am dare not to use godaddy anymore

•••
It looks like they have reduced the starting bid to $12. So it couldn't have been working out too well at $15.

I can't get an answer as to why a $15 (now $12) turns into a $10 domain with 1 bid. Anyone know why or how this happens?

•••
I used to buy hundreds of domains from their closeout section, but since they moved to the $9 - $5 system I stopped buying, I don't have time to keep checking which ones are grabbed until they reach $5 and I'm not willing to pay $9 + VAT for some of those (I used to pay one or two just to get the 5 domain discount).

•••
Yeah! My buying has dried to a dribble also. Mostly because of all those domains I bought last year I'm having to let drop this year :( So, I'm much more cautious now. But I'm still buying a few, at least :)

•••
The auctions appear to be back at $10 for now. Let's hope they don't start wandering again.

•••
The auctions are back at $12 now and drop to $11. Previously when they tried increasing prices they dropped straight to $9. I did buy a couple of $12 domains yesterday.

•••
OK. The current system is auctions start at $12 and drop $1/day until $8, then drop to $5 for a day, then they're gone.

•••
I like how the forum extremities here are so in the know of GoDaddy's electric current statistics, business strategies, and their someone strategies' execution. :notme:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back