Dynadot

discuss At eleventh hour, most .uk registrants still don’t own their .uk names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BrandEntrance.com

Open 24/7/365Top Member
Impact
http://domainincite.com/24003-at-eleventh-hour-most-uk-registrants-still-dont-own-their-uk-names

Less than a quarter of all third-level .uk registrants have taken up the opportunity to buy their matching second-level domain, just a few months before the deadline.

According to February stats from registry Nominet, 9.76 million domains were registered under the likes of .co.uk and .org.uk, but only 2.27 million domains were registered directly under .uk, which works out at about 23%.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can someone guide which would be the best registrar to pre-order .uk domains?

•••
I remember people talking about setting up programs to reg domains etc .....all true high value .uk have allready been seemingly registered or reserved ....and even though right to register is over......the registars are not stupid they have implemented a backorder system so whatever good .uk is still available will most likely end up in auctions .....sure there will still be some domains that slip through the cracks but they will be rare

•••
.....all true high value .uk have allready been seemingly registered or reserved ....and even though right to register is over......the registars are not stupid they have implemented a backorder system so whatever good .uk is still available will most likely end up in auctions .....sure there will still be some domains that slip through the cracks but they will be rare
I'm pretty sure that there's no evidence for what you've said here. There is a set process for releasing all remaining unclaimed .UK names over a period of 5 days in which anyone who is a registrar can participate. Anyone is able to become a Nominet registrar.

Not disputing the registrars providing pre-release services but as I said they are expensive.

I am missing something in that there does appear to be an allocation of specific names to each qualified registrar, not the same names to each registrar? Released over 6 days.
There is no specific allocation of names, each registrar has a quota per minute that they can attempt register names for their clients along with every other registrar. There isn't any such thing as being a 'qualified registrar' per se, just ones that decided to follow the steps necessary to take part. I'm taking part and you could have too. :bag:

Last edited:
•••
Seriously read what I wrote again .....then read it again

•••
Even though all these UK companies declined to pick up their corresponding dot UK domains you may bet that low end domainers over time will be picking up these same domains and trying to peddle them to the same companies that didn’t want them at reg fee.

•••
Seriously read what I wrote again .....then read it again
I can't. I'm too busy preparing to reg some nice .UK names next week :sneaky:

•••
Even though all these UK companies declined to pick up their corresponding dot UK domains you may bet that low end domainers over time will be picking up these same domains and trying to peddle them to the same companies that didn’t want them at reg fee.

Yes that may happen but they can raise a DRS and get the .UK back if this happens its all just one big mess i will be involved in the release next week but im not that bothered in what i get as i still prefer co.uk and so do end users...

•••
I'm pretty sure that there's no evidence for what you've said here. There is a set process for releasing all remaining unclaimed .UK names over a period of 5 days in which anyone who is a registrar can participate. Anyone is able to become a Nominet registrar.

There is no specific allocation of names, each registrar has a quota per minute that they can attempt register names for their clients along with every other registrar. There isn't any such thing as being a 'qualified registrar' per se, just ones that decided to follow the steps necessary to take part. I'm taking part and you could have too. :bag:
Gave gave up chasing the pots of gold couple of years ago, selling off assets for the bucket list as I am now of an age where health and other things are more of a concern and want to get a few things done whilst still capable.

More interested in just seeing the process which I see now is alphabetical over the few days of the release.
Anyway, good luck.

•••
Well I did the pre-reg with Godaddy and didn't get one of the 10 names I requested.

•••
Well I did the pre-reg with Godaddy and didn't get one of the 10 names I requested.

If these were premium domains no chance godaddy didn’t do great and all names were gone in less than 1 minute... 230,000 dropped today

•••
Last edited:
•••
upload_2019-7-2_16-41-40.png

upload_2019-7-2_16-41-22.png

upload_2019-7-2_16-42-40.png

upload_2019-7-2_16-42-22.png

cscprotectsbrands .com :angelic:

•••
I just noticed that nissan didn't pick up nissan.uk and spar (huge in the UK) didn't pick up spar.uk.

Nissan are also with cscprotectsbrands .com

•••
Seems rigged I got one with 1 bid on domainlore but now it shows 2 bids and going to auction.

•••
Most .uk registrants still don’t own their .uk names
There is only one reason that they would give away .uk's to owners of.co.uk's; because they can't sell them. There is no real demand, they are trying to create some demand by putting them in your account and hoping that you will renew after a year, mainly out of fear that someone else will pick it up if you let it drop. A strong brand is hard to overcome and .co.uk has had many years of momentum. Are there a few gems in the mix, yes, there always are.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back