djdeth said:
PHP... end of story. .net is only useful if you need to use API's and such. PHP is faster, more secure, etc. As you can tell I am biased with PHP.
Sorry, but you're completely wrong and clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Php is not more secure, and it is not faster. Both ASP.NET and PHP have had security vulnerabilities, however to say that one is more secure or faster than the other is an ignorant statement. I dare you to find non-biased evidence and post it here.
Please do plenty of reading before deciding on something like this, as you'll no doubt encounter ignorant, fanboy responses for both sides of the argument.
I use .NET because i love visual studio as an IDE, I like strongly typed, compiled languages (php is a scripting language, so it's interpreted at runtime), and i find it a lot easier to manage large projects.
I began my web development career with php, and still use it from time to time, mostly because it does have probably the largest user base and amount of resources.
As I see it, here are some pros and cons:
PHP Pros:
- free
- cheap hosting
- lots of support and open source projects
PHP Cons:
- hard to manage large projects (when people start including files in random places, it can sometimes be excruciating finding/managing things unless you're intimately familiar with the code already)
- not compiled
ASP.NET Pros
- very easy management of large projects with visual studio
- good documentation and support via forums (granted, not as much as php)
- great for OOP and following other good coding practices
ASP.NET Cons
- hosting is not as cheap as php
- there are not as many open source projects, so instead of copying things, you'll have to actually write your own code more often
Good luck with your decision