IT.COM

.Art Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

atinc

EntrepreneurTop Member
Impact
What are the .Art domains registered by namePros members here?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
cybersquatting old days:

find typos and available TMs manually, deal with UDRPs and legal threats, have your domains taken away from you, pay fines.

cybersquatting 2.0:

Own a registry. Upload spreadsheets with TMs and prices.

•••
You have to play it like poker, don't show your cards! :xf.grin:

Yeah, or just quit playing when you realize the odds are not in your favor.

cybersquatting old days:

find typos and available TMs manually, deal with UDRPs and legal threats, have your domains taken away from you, pay fines.

cybersquatting 2.0:

Own a registry. Upload spreadsheets with TMs and prices.

The registries are now the cybersquatters.

If a domainer bought an obvious TM or famous name and tried to sell it at a profit there is an outrage.

When a registry sets aside any famous website, brand, name, etc. and then charges an arbitrary premium that did not cost them anything extra, I fail to see how that is legit. It seems more like a protection racket.

Brad

•••
flamingtext__25080253514441253.png

•••
"These hundreds of millions of data points were combined into an algorithm that provides an individual value for each of the 3,500,000 word forms." LOL.

•••
"These hundreds of millions of data points were combined into an algorithm that provides an individual value for each of the 3,500,000 word forms." LOL.

so to translate from technical terms: we came up with an algorithm that transformed the entire TLD into a giant rip-off.

•••
The funniest (and saddest) part of the whole thing is of course that most artists are soooooo poor.

•••
I made a search the hell out of .art but neither saw any premium domains available and non over priced left out there.
Anyone have an experience with high pricing?
Probably most taken at early-bird stage.

it is not only premium it is premium renewal. That means you have to pay it each year.

an example how bad it is:

homer.art $2640/year
maggie.art $3180/year
bart.art $3612/year
namepros.art $852/year
thedomains.art $384/year
parkingcrew.art $444/year
doggypoo.art $180/year

the only one that i found available is doggiepoo.art ($12/year)

Last edited:
•••
Hmm it appears that most people in this thread have been struggling. As an end user, I've had no problems registering the following:

airbrush.art, browse.art, colour.art, giclee.art, stilllife.art and about another 5 that I'm currently working on.

End users are prepared to pay for what they want and need. The prices are likely a deterrent to Domainers.

•••
•••
premium

llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch.art

141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592.art

to me it looks like the algo is targeting developed websites under .com that have some backlinks.

Last edited:
•••
Being an artist myself I found it really hard to find a suitable domain, Withholding good domains (for a too higher price inc renewal costs) halts the growth of any extension that chooses to employ this tactic & tarnishes the gtld domain space as a whole imo

•••
Hmm it appears that most people in this thread have been struggling. As an end user, I've had no problems registering the following:

airbrush.art, browse.art, colour.art, giclee.art, stilllife.art and about another 5 that I'm currently working on.

End users are prepared to pay for what they want and need. The prices are likely a deterrent to Domainers.
That is understandable, however this kind of business model is not sustainable. High prices may not deter some end user's but that is not true for the majority. In all likelihood both end users and domainers alike are going to be deterred by the pricing model and algorithm, which will result in low registration numbers and reduce the bottom line of the business behind .ART. A "Heads Up" doesn't really do much other than indicate to everyone in the marketplace that the whoever running .ART has decided on using a model that is more focused on "greed" as compared to long term sustainability.

The big failure of NGTLD's is the fact that a good portion of the businesses behind them are not focused on sustainability. Smaller NGTLD operators need to focus on registration volume and not big one time or reoccurring payouts. 10 Big businesses buying their $50k registry reserve domains will not sustain their business long term. However, 60k+ registrants paying $15-$30 a year to keep their domain registered will keep the river flowing every year and if the prices remain consistent...the amount of registrations will increase YoY and so will the profitability of the tld.

There is a inverse correlation between registration numbers and price for both regular and premium registrations i.e as registration cost goes up, the number of registrants goes down. So when I put my meme up, I really meant it...this ngtld failed before it was even in GA and others that will try and do the same thing will also fail. They must of been so proud about the "$3.5 million" premium domains they have...must think they're gonna be billionaires :D...horrible mistake. Using algorithms in this manner won't make you rich. In this case it was a waste of money, they should have spent the funds surveying artists and ASKING THEM what they consider a reasonable price point for regular/premium registrations and have them classed. Oh well, guess they just want the cash and don't actually care about the global community they represent.

Last edited:
•••
That is understandable, however this kind of business model is not sustainable. High prices may not deter some end user's but that is not true for the majority. In all likelihood both end users and domainers alike are going to be deterred by the pricing model and algorithm, which will result in low registration numbers and reduce the bottom line of the business behind .ART. A "Heads Up" doesn't really do much other than indicate to everyone in the marketplace that the whoever running .ART has decided on using a model that is more focused on "greed" as compared to long term sustainability.

The majority of end users aren't interested in the kind of keywords that Domainers are. They want their real name, their trading name and many of those are non-premium. I should know, as I've been browsing through the .art zone file daily for the past few weeks.

What are low registration numbers? There's a thread on DomainNameWire regarding .ART where Drew doesn't believe that .ART will achieve 5,000 registrations in one year. Clearly, he hadn't been studying the data which suggested at least 8,000 domains excluding General Availability and without all the major Registrars on board. With General Availability, there was a recorded 1,355 domains registered within just a few minutes of launch. We'll all know more tomorrow when the zone files are published, so appears to be a very healthy take on G.A. Day #1 and I wouldn't be surprised if the zone expands from 2.3k to 4k registrations in 24 hours. It'll certainly smash the scepticism of only 5k registrations in 12 months.

You talk about greed but my observations are that many here are middle men, resellers, taking a cut of a mark-up in pricing. I'm confused by how you define greed. Ulvi Kasimov (.ARTs founder/investor) is rumoured to have invested $25M into .ART - that's quite some investment, vision and risk on his part. I would have thought that greed is about taking than giving. He's given quite a lot and as a businessman, will expect a return on that investment.

The big failure of NGTLD's is the fact that a good portion of the businesses behind them are not focused on sustainability. Smaller NGTLD operators need to focus on registration volume and not big one time or reoccurring payouts. 10 Big businesses buying their $50k registry reserve domains will not sustain their business long term. However, 60k+ registrants paying $15-$30 a year to keep their domain registered will keep the river flowing every year and if the prices remain consistent...the amount of registrations will increase YoY and so will the profitability of the tld..

With any start-up, there's going to be a learning curve and only natural that some of those will have under-estimated their business model where don't 50% of all start-ups normally fail within 2 years? The domain industry shouldn't be any different. But will the extension and namespace have failed? Very unlikely, as they'll just get absorbed into another Registry's more successful business model. No one size fits all.

There is a inverse correlation between registration numbers and price for both regular and premium registrations i.e as registration cost goes up, the number of registrants goes down. So when I put my meme up, I really meant it...this ngtld failed before it was even in GA and others that will try and do the same thing will also fail. They must of been so proud about the "$3.5 million" premium domains they have...must think they're gonna be billionaires :D...horrible mistake. Using algorithms in this manner won't make you rich. In this case it was a waste of money, they should have spent the funds surveying artists and ASKING THEM what they consider a reasonable price point for regular/premium registrations and have them classed. Oh well, guess they just want the cash and don't actually care about the global community they represent.

Basic supply and demand. I have read quite a few threads recently to claims of nTLDs failing when they're barely out of the gates. Most of that negativity seems to stem from the fact of disgruntled Domainers not being able to register the premium names they hoped to gain at bargain basement $20-$30 prices. The reality is that the game is forever changing, therefore others need to adapt too, else you're going to be left standing. As I've already touched upon, the investors are already rich - the namespace will, over time, simply make them richer and be great business for those who not only invest their money but their precious time too and put their purchases to good use.

If you want quality domains, then yes, expect to pay 4 figures. If you're not prepared to spend 4 figures, then it's perhaps worth considering a different venture. nTLD's are not .coms, so attitudes and approach need to change. Most established artists can sell a piece of artwork for £2,000. I know that by just selling one of mine, will cover a relevant killer category keyword for that artwork so what's the problem?

In terms of survey, then as an artist, I don't have a problem with the pricing having understood .ART's approach to the marketplace, their revision in pricing structure for various phases of registrations and their pro-active approach to creating a microcosm of relevant content and early adopter partnerships, where owning a .ART domain leaves no ambiguity of what you're expecting to find.

I would write more but I'm actually trying to build two .art websites at the same time (despite it being 3am) than just sitting on them...

Last edited:
•••
•••
The majority of end users aren't interested in the kind of keywords that Domainers are. They want their real name, their trading name and many of those are non-premium. I should know, as I've been browsing through the .art zone file daily for the past few weeks.

What are low registration numbers? There's a thread on DomainNameWire regarding .ART where Drew doesn't believe that .ART will achieve 5,000 registrations in one year. Clearly, he hadn't been studying the data which suggested at least 8,000 domains excluding General Availability and without all the major Registrars on board. With General Availability, there was a recorded 1,355 domains registered within just a few minutes of launch. We'll all know more tomorrow when the zone files are published, so appears to be a very healthy take on G.A. Day #1 and I wouldn't be surprised if the zone expands from 2.3k to 4k registrations in 24 hours. It'll certainly smash the scepticism of only 5k registrations in 12 months.

You talk about greed but my observations are that many here are middle men, resellers, taking a cut of a mark-up in pricing. I'm confused by how you define greed. Ulvi Kasimov (.ARTs founder/investor) is rumoured to have invested $25M into .ART - that's quite some investment, vision and risk on his part. I would have thought that greed is about taking than giving. He's given quite a lot and as a businessman, will expect a return on that investment.

With any start-up, there's going to be a learning curve and only natural that some of those will have under-estimated their business model where don't 50% of all start-ups normally fail within 2 years? The domain industry shouldn't be any different. But will the extension and namespace have failed? Very unlikely, as they'll just get absorbed into another Registry's more successful business model. No one size fits all.

Basic supply and demand. I have read quite a few threads recently to claims of nTLDs failing when they're barely out of the gates. Most of that negativity seems to stem from the fact of disgruntled Domainers not being able to register the premium names they hoped to gain at bargain basement $20-$30 prices. The reality is that the game is forever changing, therefore others need to adapt too, else you're going to be left standing. As I've already touched upon, the investors are already rich - the namespace will, over time, simply make them richer and be great business for those who not only invest their money but their precious time too and put their purchases to good use.

If you want quality domains, then yes, expect to pay 4 figures. If you're not prepared to spend 4 figures, then it's perhaps worth considering a different venture. nTLD's are not .coms, so attitudes and approach need to change. Most established artists can sell a piece of artwork for £2,000. I know that by just selling one of mine, will cover a relevant killer category keyword for that artwork so what's the problem?

In terms of survey, then as an artist, I don't have a problem with the pricing having understood .ART's approach to the marketplace, their revision in pricing structure for various phases of registrations and their pro-active approach to creating a microcosm of relevant content and early adopter partnerships, where owning a .ART domain leaves no ambiguity of what you're expecting to find.

I would write more but I'm actually trying to build two .art websites at the same time (despite it being 3am) than just sitting on them...

Do you work for .art? Just curious. I'm not being negative those are just the facts. Supply and demand will dictate the success of any business and without a clear understanding of how pricing affects consumer sentiment it doesn't matter how much you invest, you are going to lose money.

Rather than assume sentiment, surveying the preferences of consumers will give a clear picture of how things should be priced. This fixation on "premium" is ridiculous. Survey your target market and see how much they're willing to pay for something deemed premium and class them based on the lower and upper limit of the range you have given(ex would you be willing to pay $50-$ 500? $100-1000?, $200-2000? etc). Knowing how much the average person is willing to pay is infinitely more important than knowing how valuable something is. Unless your established and well known, using an algorithm to price your domain names in an untested domain extension is a bad business move and bad for PR as well. In this specific business example big data is being used the wrong way, in fact it is completely sub-optimal.

The average artist will be unable to afford A SINGLE ENGLISH WORD....that is absolutely ridiculous. I have no idea who wrote the business model for .art but damn.....it's probably the worst one I've ever seen.

You'll probably have a few egotistical artists that make more money than average praising the extension and showing off their domains but that does nothing to prove the viability of the business model. Retention rates and registration volume will either make or break .ART and the current market reaction is not good. Artists were complaining when preregistration or "Early Access" cost them 757% more than the average price of a domain. "3.5 Million" premiums....I wonder how the art community will react to that? My guess is not good.

I don't think to .ART will last. Not because it isn't a good extension...it is a very good one but I believe the ineptitude of the management in addition to their poor understanding of consumer sentiment which is reflected in the pricing model will prove to be detrimental to the survival of the extension.

Kind of sad in a way...an extension meant for artists is actually pricing out the majority of artists....

Last edited:
•••
Wow! This registry is a cyber squatter at worst...

Just enter a popular first name or last name. It will show it as prem or taken and offer other "premiums" that are names of artists and I assume price is based on fame/popularity/searches on the name.

So they basically take someone's name and hold him hostage to pay according to his own personal popularity while the name should have no other legitimate use for anyone else...

art_fart.PNG

•••
Reading this thread got me thinking about art domains....so I regged

M r A r t s y . c o m
M r A r t y . c o m

:)

•••
•••
The .ART Registry undertook a substantial big data effort to analyze over 250 massive databases comprising over 6 billion words and identified 3,500,000 word forms that have measureable domain value.
:xf.rolleyes::banghead::xf.rolleyes::banghead::xf.rolleyes::banghead:

•••
the algo has also reserved TMs it seems.

walmart.art $4k/year
It is funny how they can make money selling trademarked domains but the domainers receive the cease and desist letter!

in justice we trust >:(

Last edited:
•••
It is funny how they can make money selling trademarked domains but the domainers receive the cease and desist letter!

technically they can't file an UDRP because the domain does not exist! They don't own a single TM registration. They offer them for sale though. if you create it is your fault.

Last edited:
•••
What a scam the .art registry has going. They let customers, like me, preregister names at like $11.99 or something, at AlpNames, then today I got an email that the name was, "mis-priced" and now was re-priced at premium. So in effect, they took every name that someone was interested in, and jacked the price up to premium! They used customer interest as a gauge of what to hold back as premium, under the guise of a paid pre-registration program! Total BS!! :banghead:

•••
•••
Who are you?

Who are you again?
FWIW
If you check @canvasboutique prior posts he started this thread...
https://www.namepros.com/threads/art-registry-issues.1000602/

where he had a totally different point of view after getting his name hijacked, but (I'm just guessing here) has since come to the conclusion that as an enduser he can still work within the confines of the dot art model reg'ing non prem names.

An artist doesnt want / need to reg "fine dot art" to make their presence known.
Domainers want the CatKillers for one reason and one reason only.

Dot art holding back the premies wont affect JoePainter dot art or the name of a gallery, but if a big enough gallery wants "fine dot art" at whatever the prem price is, they can afford it. The question / problem is, who are they going to end up paying for the name, us or the registry. It pretty much works out the same for them.
We're just pissed because there is no room for the big flip.

As was mentioned already, (and in many other threads) dot whatevers are turning into domainers.

Now whether that will work in the long run for the registry (I hope not) only time will tell.

Peace,
Cy

Last edited:
•••
I had the same experience with another one-word.art yesterday.
Just moved on to another extension and never will try them again.

I'm still on the fence about it - I love the extension (I'm an artist) but if the registry is reserving practically everything, including artists' names from some articles I've read, what's the point?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back