Dynadot
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

The winning bidder on HappyMonkey.com

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Overpaid?

votes
    65.9%
  • Underpaid?

votes
    4.9%
  • Paid the fair market value

votes
    29.3%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Keith DeBoer

BrandableInsider.comTop Member
Impact
Yesterday CuteMonkey.com sold in the Go Daddy drops for $1210.

Today HappyMonkey.com sold for $3850.

Sixteen people bid HappyMonkey.com up to $1400. Then a new bidder dropped in: Bidder 17.

Bidders 16 and 17 then proceeded to wage a one hour plus price war that took the sale to the final price of $3850.

Which domain name do you think is more valuable and why?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
These are domains I will keep wondering how buyers see so much value in them.
Then I know I don't have to look down on my brandables but only need to find the perfect buyer!

•••
I agree, I'm having a hard time conceiving the industry applications for both these names.

•••
HumanBrain.com sold for $6300. I still wonder what would be the business behind that name?

•••
@pdevananth,
Will be parking page telling FOR SALE

•••
Domain market, a place where funny seller sells funny name to funny buyer at a funny price

•••
Imo they're both worth the same, at wholesale you want to be buying in the mid hundreds at most (preferable $50-$250), I can't see an obvious commercial use with deep enough pockets to justify a price close to $4k. Maybe it was an end user who was 'happy' with the purchase.

•••
•••
Cute or Happy... It's all Monkey Business

•••
a lot of these silly name domains are not sold for domain name but traffic revenu.

it's misleading to judge a sale strictly for the domain name you see. unfortunately, sales reports do not make distinction, so in essence that is all they will remain.. misleading and relativelyl useless in that regard.

•••
I voted overpaid, but I suppose if someone paid it then it is market value.

•••
•••
A cute buyer sold a funny name to a funny buyer for cute gains.

•••
HappyMonkey is by far the better domain. The word Happy can fit into multiple concepts but Cute would be a pretty niche term that fits mostly into kids ideas.

There are only 6 domains that have the words CuteMonkey in their domain but there are 59 that have HappyMonkey in their domain name. HappyMonkeyYoga.com, HappyMonkeyClothing.com, HappyMonkeyBoutique.com, HappyMonkeyCoffee.com etc........many companies using this as their company name so the value is much higher because the term is much more popular. At $3,850 it was definitely an end user buying this domain. Way to much for a smart investor to pay.

•••
Yesterday CuteMonkey.com sold in the Go Daddy drops for $1210.

Today HappyMonkey.com sold for $3850.
My domain CuteMonkey.com was sold as a pre-release auction on Namejet, it wasnt a Godaddy drop.

"Keyword"+ "Monkey" domains usually sell easily. Everyone loves a monkey :) That said, I used to own HappyChicken.com and I sold it easily as well. ;)

•••
My domain CuteMonkey.com was sold as a pre-release auction on Namejet, it wasnt a Godaddy drop.

"Keyword"+ "Monkey" domains usually sell easily. Everyone loves a monkey :) That said, I used to own HappyChicken.com and I sold it easily as well. ;)

Thanks for the correction. B-)

•••
As fate would have it Buy/Monkey came up in the GD drops this morning and I bought if for $155.
FWIW............. here are the Estibot valuations for the various DNs under discussion:
*Happy/Monkey $1700
*Buy/Monkey $1600
*Cute/Monkey $1100

•••
HappyMonkey is by far the better domain. The word Happy can fit into multiple concepts but Cute would be a pretty niche term that fits mostly into kids ideas.

According to the Google keyword planner there's 14,800 exact monthly (global) searches for the term "cute monkey" and 9,900 for the term "happy monkey". While I agree with you that there are currently more businesses using "happy monkey" as part of their brand name it doesn't change the fact that more people are searching for cute monkeys compared to happy monkeys. So both have obvious value imo. ;)

•••
According to the Google keyword planner there's 14,800 exact monthly (global) searches for the term "cute monkey" and 9,900 for the term "happy monkey". While I agree with you that there are currently more businesses using "happy monkey" as part of their brand name it doesn't change the fact that more people are searching for cute monkeys compared to happy monkeys. So both have obvious value imo. ;)

Search volume doesn't equal value.

•••
•••
•••
Happy Monkey begs the question "Why is he Happy?" Which shoe horns into a business angle.

•••
Search volume doesn't mean anything when it comes to this example. Cute Monkey has more searches because there are 14,800 little girls searching for a Cute Monkey picture. The 9,900 searches for Happy Monkey are probably someone looking for one of the many businesses actually called Happy Monkey.

•••
Search volume doesn't mean anything when it comes to this example. Cute Monkey has more searches because there are 14,800 little girls searching for a Cute Monkey picture.
And 9,900 little girls are looking for a happy monkey picture:
https://www.google.be/search?q="happy+monkey"&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio5uPoxPvJAhUHfxoKHbxbB0AQ_AUIBygB&biw=1920&bih=916
Tons of pictures to be found btw ;)
See what I did here?

My guess is that a lot of those 14,800 searches are indeed from kids just like a lot of those 9,900 searches will probable be kids looking for pictures of happy monkeys as well but to be honest I'm pretty sure that both the 9,900 and 14,800 searches means there's at least some adults looking for either terms with the intention to find a business, hence the value. But those are only my assumptions, just like you assumed only little girls are looking for the term "cute monkey".

Here's a fact though: I got emailed in the past (when I still was the owner of CuteMonkey.com) by someone trying to find a cute stuffed monkey for his son. So if I had build a shop on that domain selling stuffed monkeys that would most likely have been a customer. And that's just one example of what could be build on that domain name. Out of the top of my head I would say that CuteMonkey.com would also be a cool name for a web design agency or anything related to graphics. But that's my personal opinion of course.

Last edited:
•••
This is why I'm guilty (as are many of you I'm sure) for over pricing names to leave them sitting with the hopes that one of them will catch. This year was the case with Novelized.com, I would have happily accepted 1/10th the price it sold for as a GD premium :D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back