IT.COM

question Are Spanish Domains worth Investing in?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

BasedBeyond

Top Member
Impact
Hello there, I've been looking through some auctions offsite and have seen various one-word Spanish domain names for sale. I was wondering if it is worth my time and money investing and flipping one-word Spanish domains (in specific .COM & .NET extensions). Are there any huge past sales of one-word Spanish domains? If so, please let me know.

Just recently, I acquired Dulces.NET (Spanish for candy)

Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Having been invested heavily in Spanish domains since the beginning, I still believe the Spanish domain market from a maturation vantage point is years behind the English market. When I try to market Spanish domains to end users they often are clueless what a domain name is and even more so why they should pay money for one if they already have one or use Facebook for their web presence. Regardless, for the right names, sales do occur at modest prices. Just don't expect five figures for average domains. To give you an idea of how subdued the Spanish market is pricewise here are some sales I have had the last few years (low $XXX sales are more common). Note that Domain(.)com is used so that names and sales prices do not index....

ZonaFutbol(.)com $799 (June 2015)
ReggaetonTV(.)com $599 (June 2015)
NegocioPorInternet(.)com $799 (Feb 2014)
DietayEjercicio(.)com $499 (June 2013)
MercadodeCredito(.)com $2500 (Dec 2013)
VenderYa(.)com $799 (June 2012)

•••
Having been invested heavily in Spanish domains since the beginning, I still believe the Spanish domain market from a maturation vantage point is years behind the English market. When I try to market Spanish domains to end users they often are clueless what a domain name is and even more so why they should pay money for one if they already have one or use Facebook for their web presence. Regardless, for the right names, sales do occur at modest prices. Just don't expect five figures for average domains. To give you an idea of how subdued the Spanish market is pricewise here are some sales I have had the last few years (low $XXX sales are more common). Note that Domain(.)com is used so that names and sales prices do not index....

ZonaFutbol(.)com $799 (June 2015)
ReggaetonTV(.)com $599 (June 2015)
NegocioPorInternet(.)com $799 (Feb 2014)
DietayEjercicio(.)com $499 (June 2013)
MercadodeCredito(.)com $2500 (Dec 2013)
VenderYa(.)com $799 (June 2012)

Thanks so much. When you sold your Spanish domains, did you sell them on auction platforms such as Flippa/Sedo/GD? Or did you directly find the end-users. Thanks

•••
In 2010, SEDO sales were about half of total number of domains sold.

In the last two years, SEDO sales are less than ten percent of domains sold...

Primary sales volume is from Godaddy Premium Listings / Godaddy Auctions.

•••
I will add that Spanish domain sales quite often come from the US as the US Hispanic demographic is larger the total population of some Spanish-speaking countries.

Note as well that I have sold some Spanish domains to Brazilian buyers because the word has a meaning in Portuguese.

•••
Thank you so much. So Godaddy auctions is my best bet for finding buyers? How about Flippa? Do you think there would be interest there as well?

•••
I tried the Flippa catalog but am not a fan of the fee structure at Flippa. IMO the best chance of selling Spanish domains is to focus on .COM and for the most part don't price them above $1500 (assuming you do not have the budget to acquire Carros.com or Boda.com or Deportes.com type names). Spanish sales over $1000 have been outside the norm even though some of my Spanish sales have been to investors including one in China :) .

•••
Yeah, well I acquired Dulces.NET for a cheap price. I'm looking for a place to list it. I don't know where to invest my money to list it. Do you think it would receive interest on GoDaddy? It'll be definitely under $500

•••
I would suggest listing it at Godaddy Premium Listings (which will make it appear in Godaddy Auctions).

I have sold some Spanish .Nets but those tend to be low $XXX which makes it more difficult to justify investing in them.

•••
I will add that Spanish domain sales quite often come from the US as the US Hispanic demographic is larger the total population of some Spanish-speaking countries.

Note as well that I have sold some Spanish domains to Brazilian buyers because the word has a meaning in Portuguese.

Have you sold any .DE Spanish/Portuguese domains, since "de" means "of" in Spanish?

•••
I have sold a number of domains which include the keyword "de" and have sold Spanish domains in .COM, .Net, .ORG, .TV and even .Biz However, I don't believe the TLD .DE is a good choice for a Spanish domain as buyers will not naturally be attracted to it. Stick with .COM as your odds of a sale are better and without sales money spent on acquisitions/renewals is wasted. As a finance/accounting professional who sees how much companies spend on normal business expenses, I continue to believe domains and Spanish domains in particular are undervalued (they can make for nice branding/marketing tools), but that doesn't mean the market is going to wake from its dormancy and explode in 2015.

•••
I have sold a number of domains which include the keyword "de" and have sold Spanish domains in .COM, .Net, .ORG, .TV and even .Biz However, I don't believe the TLD .DE is a good choice for a Spanish domain as buyers will not naturally be attracted to it. Stick with .COM as your odds of a sale are better and without sales money spent on acquisitions/renewals is wasted. As a finance/accounting professional who sees how much companies spend on normal business expenses, I continue to believe domains and Spanish domains in particular are undervalued (they can make for nice branding/marketing tools), but that doesn't mean the market is going to wake from its dormancy and explode in 2015.

Hey Garp, I just recently acquired "Acronimo.com", Spanish and Italian word for acronym. Do you think this would be a hot listing on Flippa/Sedo?

•••
Hi J3r3myist. I just found this thread. I have quite a few Spanish names but have not yet sold any, with them listed at Sedo and me having done no outbound. To answer your question about Acronimo: I'm not sure what this would be used for. Do you have any ideas how a buyer would use it? How have you, if you have, marketed it? Any luck with sales of Spanish domains since June?

•••
The spanish .com market isn't mature yet. Give it time.

•••
Got arrasou,com..Portuguese name. decent Alexa ranking.

•••
I would invest in a foreign language domain only if my knowledge of that language is very advanced. We all know how some people buy silly sounding/grammar challenged domains in English so the same principle applies to any other language.

•••
I am a Spanish speaker and invested in Spanish domains a few years ago, but was never able to profit from them. As some of you have said, the Spanish domain market is still years behind the English market. There, of course, money to be made on Spanish premium names...

Just to give you an example, if you own hugs.net (English of course), you can be sure that you can sell that name for at least a few thousand dollars, since that name could have many uses, particularly in the meet people or dating industry, but consider the Spanish version. I once owned abrazos.net (hugs) and had to let it drop because it couldn't sell anywhere.

Yes, I understand that the comparison might have its limitations, given the fact that hugs is an LLLL name as well, but I have had a few others that either sold for a very low amount or didn't sell at all.

Last edited:
•••
Apartamentos.com sold to Apartments.com.

•••
Christian Chena sold Juegos.com (Games) in Spanish for $10million. There is money to be made boys.

•••
Those are super premium names. No doubt that there is money in them, but the reality remains: English is years ahead. I would like Spanish to be at the same level, but we cannot go against the evidence...

•••
True we can't go against that Infosec3. Give it some time.

TarjetasDeCredito.com is another super premium. I wonder how much this one was?

•••
I'm selling okFamilia(.)com if anybody's interested..

•••
•••
•••
I have Jalapeño.net. Think its worth collecting?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back