IT.COM

Are registrars required to have a working phone #?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Domain Lead Finder

Established Member
Impact
Are domain name registrars obliged by law to have working phone numbers? I am having trouble with a certain registrar I will not yet name and nobody ever answers the phone number in their WHOIS and it is also listed as the same phone number in their contact form.

I am having problems verifying my phone number because their system of verification does not work, yet they never answer their own phone number.

Thank you for any information.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You should let us know so we can avoid them like the plague.

•••
You should let us know so we can avoid them like the plague.

I am giving them a chance to make this right. They have been OK so far and this is their first mistake. I do not like to post info before giving somebody a chance to correct their mistake. I am just wondering if they are obliged by ICANN to have a working phone number that a human being answers and not some robot that never connects me with an agent ever.

•••
Are you sure it is a registrar and not a reseller for a registrar? I know of several "resellers" who do not answer their phone. You have to leave a message.

•••
I am giving them a chance to make this right. They have been OK so far and this is their first mistake. I do not like to post info before giving somebody a chance to correct their mistake. I am just wondering if they are obliged by ICANN to have a working phone number that a human being answers and not some robot that never connects me with an agent ever.

How are you giving them a chance to make it right?

•••
How are you giving them a chance to make it right?

I gave them more time and they replied back and are working on fixing my problem.

•••
I never answer the phone lol works fine for me lol probably why I don't sell many domain names but to be fair don't want to sell many

But I know how you feel eg before gd used to have a uk phone number you had to phone the states and remember the account number and the password they made difficult to remember etc but now gd have a uk number so much easier to get anything solved instantly but I still use another registrar in the states and although their website is great and their customer service is prompt via email etc I still have probs due to time delay and refunds delays etc which would be easier if they had a uk number eg me being from the uk etc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back