IT.COM

discuss Are random 4L .com really worth investing renewals?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Akhilesh.Kumar

Established Member
Impact
Keep aside repeat letters, multiple vowels, pronounceable, known or prompt possible abbreviations etc, if you consider random combination of 4 letter to make a .com, is it really worth?
I mean all 4L are either bought-up from kid to young by paying their school fee (renewals) for 10-15 years or the orphans (drop/expired) are adopted at a high ransom (bid) from an open auction.

The no-meaning, non pronounceable random combination of 4 letters sells for $100-150 in auctions.
I was negotiating one on such auction platform where there was no bid due to high reserve. I threw an under reserve (micro) bid to mark presence. Post auction, the name lost it's esteem and jumped from Burj-Khalifa ($999) to pot hole ($99) and landed in my mail box with a low BIN offer.

And soon flashed in my mind, the name I am referring to is aged since 2005.
Since 2005, the name celebrated 15 birthdays and 15 birthday gifts (renewals) would have been somewhere equal to what the young man (4L.com domain) is earning today.

Saying this, I want to discuss with community/family- the valuable 4L.com including usable abbreviations, fancy combinations, repeat letters etc are valuable (understandably).
Is it true that all non sense (excuse the description. Not intended to insult) 4L.com are renewed and are expected to sell high just because of the fact that there are no free available 4L.com available like all dictionary words.
Or the names are waiting for future when sometime someone may think of a 4 word name for his/her firm and that coincidentally matches the waiting 4L.com for abbreviation.

Logically end user may prefer a decent 2 word name for $50-70 rather a no meaning 4L for $100-150

I am still a leaner and may not see what vintage domineers do. So trying to find out an understanding why is it so. Please do not see the post as sarcasm or challenging. I do not have any (not even 0.00001%) intentions to insult owners of any sort of 4L.com name.

Cheers... !!!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
"And soon flashed in my mind, the name I am referring to is aged since 2005.
Since 2005, the name celebrated 15 birthdays and 15 birthday gifts (renewals) would have been somewhere equal to what the young man (4L.com domain) is earning today."

He might have gotten the name a month ago for 50 bucks. Random 4L's change hands often. Very unlikely the person selling today is the one that held it all these years.

Random 4L's is like buying junk stocks. You hope someone comes along that is more gullible than you and pays more than you did. It is not a good way to invest.

And I agree a end user would rather a good two word name over random 4 letters.

•••
Yes.

Only 456,976 exist; no #’s, special characters.

Law Supply & Demand (Plus, love acronyms)

“no meaning” subjective; many have meanings

Last edited:
•••
"And soon flashed in my mind, the name I am referring to is aged since 2005.
Since 2005, the name celebrated 15 birthdays and 15 birthday gifts (renewals) would have been somewhere equal to what the young man (4L.com domain) is earning today."

He might have gotten the name a month ago for 50 bucks. Random 4L's change hands often. Very unlikely the person selling today is the one that held it all these years.

Random 4L's is like buying junk stocks. You hope someone comes along that is more gullible than you and pays more than you did. It is not a good way to invest.

And I agree a end user would rather a good two word name over random 4 letters.

Glad I made some sense there. Thanks for your inputs.
By the way.. Where can I get a 4L.com for $50 ? :xf.cool:.
I didn't see that happen yet, not even for most meaningless 4L.

•••
Yes.

Only 456,976 exist; no #’s, special characters.

Law Supply & Demand (Plus, love acronyms)

“no meaning” subjective; many have meanings
That's a good point - always check that those so called "junk" LLLL don't have any specific (business applicable) acronyms - the more the better.......

•••
Glad I made some sense there. Thanks for your inputs.
By the way.. Where can I get a 4L.com for $50 ? :xf.cool:.
I didn't see that happen yet, not even for most meaningless 4L.
keep an eye in the for sale section here

•••
Good morning.

I use the following to check abbreviations and acronyms for any current or past use of the letters.

www.acronymfinder.com

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
Good morning.

I use the following to check abbreviations and acronyms for any current or past use of the letters.

www.acronymfinder.com

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Regards,

Reddstagg

Thank you sir.

I don't know if I should mention the name that kicked my mind or not, but still for my understanding - consider ADHJ is available for purchase.
Even www.acronymfinder.com returned zero searches
Google shows results for ADH and zero searches for ADHJ

Now do such 4Ls justify 15 (or more) years of renewal fee never being developed yet.
It's just an example, there could be a lot like this.

Just a thought, is it only the fact that 4L inventory is very limited makes them precious hypothetically or as euphoria. Like I am happy I have some 4L in my portfolio...

Again, nothing to challenge. I respect everyone's buying decision. Asking just for my information.
BTW, I don't have any yet. and I fail to understand someone selling it for 100-150 where the name's life's renewals would have been equal or may be more then that.

May be I buy something for 50 and if fails to sell/resale in 1 or 2 years for a prodit, I'll try to liquidate the same for $ 40-60.... Rather investing $ 5-10 for 15-20 years (renewals) and then selling it for $100-$150...

My thought..

Cheers...!!!

•••
I searched "ADHJ" - with quotes on Google - total of 159,000 results

Looks like there is a small South African company using is at their stock acronym........

Also the .nl is developed (in Dutch) - single advisor for manufacturing companies by the look of it.....

Last edited:
•••
Also the .nl is developed (in Dutch) - single advisor for manufacturing companies by the look of it.....

"H-J" is his first name here. Advising on ERP/process improvement.

•••
"H-J" is his first name here. Advising on ERP/process improvement.
small company working within 1 country and probably has no need for the .com version then?

Unitl/unless he expands....

Last edited:
•••
small company working within 1 country and probably has no need for the .com version then?

Unitl/unless he expands....

Think so too.

•••
So, ultimately do such names (4L .com) justify $100 renewals (total estimate) over years and years and then being sold for $100?

•••
So, ultimately do such names (4L .com) justify $100 renewals (total estimate) over years and years and then being sold for $100?
Say $8 for renewal - that would get you 12.5 years of renewals for $100 plus you bought one for $100 = $200

Meaning you have that amount of time to sell it to an end user for more OR maybe as more LLLL .com's get developed the wholesale price will increase over that time period as they become more scarcer?

Last edited:
•••
Even if you buy a good two word keyword name it could take 15 renewals before someone buys it. The people that flip names quick are the exception not the rule. If a name is not good enough to hold 15 renewals I wouldn't buy it unless you are looking to flip for little or no money.

•••

A benefit of actually owning a name for a long period of time would be in a trademark dispute.

If you registered a domain name prior to a company registering their name/acronym, you may be in a better position than someone who purchased it after the mark was registered.

•••
A benefit of actually owning a name for a long period of time would be in a trademark dispute.

If you registered a domain name prior to a company registering their name/acronym, you may be in a better position than someone who purchased it after the mark was registered.

Does the trademark dispute depends on initial registration (without drop) or current owner's ownership tenure (bought/resale) ?

•••
Honestly your thread brought some interesting views and comments.

I am sure this forum is worth spending time...

Keep aside repeat letters, multiple vowels, pronounceable, known or prompt possible abbreviations etc, if you consider random combination of 4 letter to make a .com, is it really worth?
I mean all 4L are either bought-up from kid to young by paying their school fee (renewals) for 10-15 years or the orphans (drop/expired) are adopted at a high ransom (bid) from an open auction.

The no-meaning, non pronounceable random combination of 4 letters sells for $100-150 in auctions.
I was negotiating one on such auction platform where there was no bid due to high reserve. I threw an under reserve (micro) bid to mark presence. Post auction, the name lost it's esteem and jumped from Burj-Khalifa ($999) to pot hole ($99) and landed in my mail box with a low BIN offer.

And soon flashed in my mind, the name I am referring to is aged since 2005.
Since 2005, the name celebrated 15 birthdays and 15 birthday gifts (renewals) would have been somewhere equal to what the young man (4L.com domain) is earning today.

Saying this, I want to discuss with community/family- the valuable 4L.com including usable abbreviations, fancy combinations, repeat letters etc are valuable (understandably).
Is it true that all non sense (excuse the description. Not intended to insult) 4L.com are renewed and are expected to sell high just because of the fact that there are no free available 4L.com available like all dictionary words.
Or the names are waiting for future when sometime someone may think of a 4 word name for his/her firm and that coincidentally matches the waiting 4L.com for abbreviation.

Logically end user may prefer a decent 2 word name for $50-70 rather a no meaning 4L for $100-150

I am still a leaner and may not see what vintage domineers do. So trying to find out an understanding why is it so. Please do not see the post as sarcasm or challenging. I do not have any (not even 0.00001%) intentions to insult owners of any sort of 4L.com name.

Cheers... !!!

•••
Does the trademark dispute depends on initial registration (without drop) or current owner's ownership tenure (bought/resale) ?

Say the original owner registered the domain before the mark was filed.

When the domain changes hands, the new owner may be infringing on that recent mark.

Last edited:
•••
Loooooong back while I was a student, something that I never understood was "Probability".
Looks like this industry revolves around the same devil. :xf.smile:

•••
Say the original owner registered the domain before the mark was filed.

When the domain changes hands, the new owner may be infringing on that recent mark.

Here is an actual scenario.

I am about to jump in for a name registered in 2005. There is an active trademark for this very name. TM registered in 2020.
The name has been in someone (one or more) else's ownership but never dropped. Like registered in 2005 and still active.
Should I try to get this name considering the age of name is more then age of active TM
OR
Should I pass considering the age of TM would be more then age of my ownership on the name

Your thought my friend....
And anyone else is welcome too... Plz share what you think..

Cheers...!!!

•••

I am about to jump in for a name registered in 2005. There is an active trademark for this very name. TM registered in 2020.
The name has been in someone (one or more) else's ownership but never dropped. Like registered in 2005 and still active.
Should I try to get this name considering the age of name is more then age of active TM
OR
Should I pass considering the age of TM would be more then age of my ownership on the name

Cheers...!!!

The original owner is probably safe, but you may be infringing on the mark.
TM law can be complex and there are various categories of marks.

•••

OR

Cheers...!!!

You should also read about "change of ownership" in WIPO/UDRP decisions.

•••
Thanks, so ideally I should remain out of it for now as a newbie (I think). 5 years down the line it may be a different game. By then I may be more verged with ins and outs before jumping in.

BTW @Future Sensors Do you have an article or write up about that interesting quote "78% of human domainers will be replaced by robots". If so, I would love to read.

Cheers...!!!

•••
•••
Back