NameSilo

Are paid directories back?

Labeled as strategy in General Domain Discussion, started by DotEverything, May 23, 2020 at 3:58 PM

Replies:
Views:

1. DotEverything

DotEverything Buying new TLD, hyphens, and two-word .coms Gold Account Blue Account

Are paid directories back? Or are they still a thing of the past?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. DigitalRoar

DigitalRoar Established Member

3. DotEverything

DotEverything Buying new TLD, hyphens, and two-word .coms Gold Account Blue Account

Meaning.....years ago....paid directories were a good business. Are they still? Or are they a thing of the past?

Business Directories

4. Grilled

Grilled sdrowkcab VIP

What comes to mind for me when I hear "paid directory" are/were advanced/optimized niche networks such as TvRepairMan.com.

If I recall correctly, it ran, or still runs on, a pay-per-call lead gen site. Where, an enduser (customer needing a TV Repair) will call a phone number, and that call will get redirected to a local repair man. The repair man makes $XXX, and the lead gen website get I think would earn around $25 per call.

See the Wikipedia of Howard Lerman

Though, that's a beefed up version. It could be as simple as W pays Y to list X on Z.

In return, W will market X to related niche customers, to drive traffic, and potential leads to Z for Y.

See the Web Directory Wikipedia page for more.

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 4:28 PM
  5. twiki

twiki Upgraded Member Gold Account

Done and dust.

6. DotEverything

Why do you think?

7. twiki

Been there.

8. DotEverything

my understanding there are some successful ways to do it

9. twiki

There is a successful way to sell anything, including land on the moon. But the field is now done, however there will always be some guys still doing it.

10. TCK

TCK NameOptions.com VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

IMHO, there is a place for highly specialized niche directories that also include high quality content. Generic Web directories don't seem to thrive anymore. In fact, most are defunct or aren't updated anymore.

11. DotEverything

Thank you

Any examples of successful directories?

Do you know if any good private label templates?

12. NickB

NickB Aka MrAcidic VIP Gold Account

13. TCK

There are many niche directories. One that comes to mind is this one:

https://www.forbes.com/lists/list-directory/

I don't know of any private label templates that I could recommend. I think you are aware of one or two that have been used in the past.

14. TCK

If you want to have a successful directory, then it must be content based.

15. DotEverything

Agree. It’s a good bit of work.

16. ikhub

ikhub Top Contributor VIP

Paid Web Directory are quite relevant if you can fly back time using a time machine. Unfortunately for that you need to wait till future until time machine is invented.

17. DotEverything

So, if I have a time-machine, they are a good business?

18. Robbie

Robbie Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

We have Mot-Station.com it’s something every car / motorbike needs once over 3 years old in the UK.

we built it for free and it gets ok traffic but only three owners of the garages pay out of the thousands listed.

There are other sites in the UK like Bark.com, TrustATrader.com, CheckaTrade.com etc who all work either on a monthly subscription or pay per lead but they invest heavily to advertise so I am not sure the profit margins are that high...

I would say you need either a small niche that you can own or have outstanding SEO skills to outrank everyone in the category.

just my two cents...

19. Rich

Rich Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Until last year I ran a local guide for the catskill mountains with folks still submitting their website link/business info for $10 each. I think if you do the right advertising inside a niche it can be successful. Agree with TCK it should have relevant content to help with indexing in search engines.

20. NLP

NLP Top Contributor VIP

Wasted effort, unless you have developed relationships in the industry/location, A LOT of quality content, and a lot of time. (And probably money for paid advertising).

Nobody really consults these things anymore, unless it's an industry-leading brand like Forbes or WeddingWire. Those are robust websites that have a lot of content beyond the directory, and decades in business.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice