NameSilo

opinion Are old terms 'web' etc going to be outdated in domain name investing?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Templr

Top Member
Impact
I've been online since the mid to late 90's around when terms for internet were coined into web or net.

I had just left a $600+ bid on a 6L web*** .com only to be outbid at a later date, this gave me some time for reflection.

I know 'web' has always been popular, but after sourcing sales throughout the years it seems that the trend is going down in domain name sales. Even though Google Trends has a steady graph from 2012-2016.

The bidding for the name had reached just over 1K and I was going to enter my last bid, but felt detached from it after being totally in love with the name. Which is unusual for me.

Still I think there could be potential but if it means waiting up to 5+ years for a solid price and a long trend in a name to possibly wain, I was going to bow down.

That being said, the tester will be .web

My thoughts are that a .web is a poor man's/woman's .net

Or is the term 'web' more preferred now than 'net'?

I'm not a .net fan but at least it has authority in age.

We can use an alternative verbally for 'online' or the 'internet', but for branding and naming, I personally won't be investing.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I've never been a fan of "web" in a name. After all, you know you are on the internet, so, unless you are selling spiders, web is pretty redundant. I think this became apparent when the use of the www. sub-domain prefix fell into disuse.

•••
•••
The meaning of.net is now very blurred, more is reflected in market segmentation categories.

•••
Kinda of old school here, .net was always a short form for "network". Just like .com is a short form for "commercial".

•••
•••
any word + InformationSuperhighway = money in the bank.

I always hated cyber in a name, still do :)

Last edited:
•••
I've been online since the mid to late 90's around when terms for internet were coined into web or net.

I had just left a $600+ bid on a 6L web*** .com only to be outbid at a later date, this gave me some time for reflection.

I know 'web' has always been popular, but after sourcing sales throughout the years it seems that the trend is going down in domain name sales. Even though Google Trends has a steady graph from 2012-2016.

The bidding for the name had reached just over 1K and I was going to enter my last bid, but felt detached from it after being totally in love with the name. Which is unusual for me.

Still I think there could be potential but if it means waiting up to 5+ years for a solid price and a long trend in a name to possibly wain, I was going to bow down.

We can use an alternative verbally for 'online' or the 'internet', but for branding and naming, I personally won't be investing.
Having kids I can say without a doubt they know what 'internet' is, but have no idea what 'web' is...Unless it's Charlotte's Web, of course...

•••
I registered a .space, and Facebook didn't like it...it thinks it's a malware site even thought its a legit TLD

•••
Depends how the term is used in the keyword phrase.

•••
I think .net is still more popular and more be using than .web (or .website) in 2017. I'm thinking about .web & .website, which one is better?

•••

It is loosing importance I guess. And that auction got out of hand as I was part of it lol.....Web/Sun right?

•••
It is loosing importance I guess. And that auction got out of hand as I was part of it lol.....Web/Sun right?

Yes that's the one. I notice it sold for just over 1K same time last year.

•••
Just a few months ago, WorldWideWeb .com was purchased for $18K and the buyer claimed the true value could be $150K - $250K.

To me, the WEB is a "Visual" I get of the network connections across the planet. Just Visually appears like a "Web", but perhaps it is one of those terms that will go away in time...

•••
I have Under Construction dotCOM, very outdated term :)

•••
web vs net?
Internet
I think even non-techies say "internet" or "net" more than "web". But as with all new G's, what you put before the dot will determine its viability.

•••
Dot online makes more sense.

Cars / web ???
Cars / online - makes more sense.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back