Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Satyasai Ray

Established Member
Impact
Are Demonyms Trademarked.. Example: American(s), Chinese, etc

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess they could be IF a demonym forms part of a brand. Like lets say there was a Football team called "Amerians" I would imagine they could TM against someone else in the Football industry using the same name..

Thats my understanding... I could be wrong, I'm no lawyer :)

•••
I guess they could be IF a demonym forms part of a brand. Like lets say there was a Football team called "Amerians" I would imagine they could TM against someone else in the Football industry using the same name..

Thats my understanding... I could be wrong, I'm no lawyer :)
Agreed, but if we look at the broad picture.. I mean who does not use those words...

•••
Demonyms can be registered as a trademarks, in accordance with the law.

But what is your question exactly and what this has to do with domains?

•••
This is a trademark for a brand of airline:

orders-100-next-generation-737s-selects-new-737-max.jpg

Last edited:
•••
This is a generic indication of a type of cheese:

newsnet-photo-fid-6213081.jpg

detail-001.1479915296.jpg

•••
This is a trademark for a motorcycle:

indian-roadmaster-elite_827x510_41501141737.jpg

•••
Agreed, but if we look at the broad picture.. I mean who does not use those words...

So what. Who doesn't refer to a particular fruit grown on trees as an "apple"?

But if you apply that word to computers and smartphones, you are going to have an obvious problem.

•••
So what. Who doesn't refer to a particular fruit grown on trees as an "apple"?

But if you apply that word to computers and smartphones, you are going to have an obvious problem.
Is the trademark in these examples refer to the complete org name e.g. American Cheese/ American airlines or just the "American" word... If yes ,does this mean American.com/ net/ org can't be sold by any domainer for commercial purpose... Apple is a difference I agree.. Kindly advise... Thanks

•••
No dear I think you have ambiguity about the the trademark.
Its simple that when you apply for the trade mark what name of org. You have given at that time??
And the 2nd thing is that trade mark is not separate from the org. Name trade mark and name both reg if you got trademark.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back