IT.COM

question Are Arabic Domains Garbage and do you have any?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I shortened the original thread title which was:

Are Arabic character and or Arabic word domains created using western characters garbage?

Just wanted to know since I did register some like last year. I really don't understand why Arabic Character domains and even Arabic word domains created using western characters (A,B,C,D,E-X,Y,Z) haven't really taken off since ICANN allowed IDN's? One would assume easily that anything "arabic" is Big money just because of the wealth in those countries. Why hasn't it been adopted in areas like Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates? I mean for a culture that takes pride in being "Strict" with it's rules and having so much pride in it's culture (rightly so because of it's rich history) why haven't they adopted the idea of using their language with Arabic characters in the domains they use for their businesses? I mean I understand that Saudi Arabia and the UAE basically want western businesses to come to UAE and Saudi Arabia. So it makes sense that they would want to make it easier for Westerners to easily find their websites since of course most Westerners don't read nor speak Arabic but still why not accompanying Arabic domain to match company domain?

I know there are other IDN's but I have a specific purpose for this thread so I'm leaving this as a separate thread and next will be the Chinese IDN version of this thread.

So let's hear all your comments, opinions from everyone newbies to Guru's and everyone in between. Let's hear your thoughts and views and honest opinion on this topic. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, one thing am aware of is that sometimes we use English characters to write Arabic words, for example instead ذهب.موقع . It can be written as Mawke3 Zahab or slang Dahab in .COM plus the accent is different in different countries so there is still many choices for the end user to register. another example is Souq.com souq in arabic means market and it is one of the biggest e-commerce websites in the Arab world. another one is Jumia.com using a brandable name. So the letter ع sometimes is written number 3 mixed with English letters, H or strong H can be written 7 and kh 7'. I personally have only one domain which NEGM.net meaning Star or Actor but it can also be written NEJM so it depends on which country you are targeting in the first place. Plus English is widely spread and almost all companies are using English names for their domains or Arabic written in English characters hence vinsdomains.com is getting a lot of clicks on ArabicNewsPapers.com.

Hope this helps

•••
Guys you are going crazy over here lol. As weird as it may sound even though I speak Arabic I would invest in 5n.com or 6n.com any day rather than risking it with Arabic domains, too many choices too many risks for me, check @Abdullah Abdullah numeric portfolio for example ... Maybe there is Arabic speaking domainers who are having success but it isn't me so I can't help any more

•••
arabic is my first language and i have never tried to invest in arabic domains..to sell arabic domains your domain must be one single and very clear word like akhbar.com which means news...also ذهب.موقع doesn't make sense to me..try to stick with the english domains market and chinese market is aslo good.. i know some very good two words arabic domains are available to register which may have value x.xxx if they were in english...but maybe i am wrong...may be arabic domains will have value in the future who knows!

•••
After reading what everyone is saying, I think that Arabic domains are not garbage, but ARABIC IDN is. @Konga said "Dahab" is a slang word. I did a search and it is taken in: com, net, org, co, online, xyz, pro, ws, info, tv, me, co.uk, site, us, biz, eu, name, ninja...amazing!

It is not slang per se at all. It means Gold... Hence ..why it is taken .

•••
Hello,
I am French but was born in Morocco, I know arabic and have too many arab friends,
If you want my opinion, stay away from arabic, because Arab big company or startup when they want to register a domain and find that it's already taken, they choose another one, I think all domain sales about arabic domains were concluded by western people :)
I give you just an example, I worked for Menara which is a Portal of Maroc Telecom which is the first Telecom Operator in Morocco and perhaps in Africa, they own Menara.ma, one day they wanted to buy Menara.com, the owner of Menara.com asked $50 000, so they told him "are you crazy?" :) and forgot about this domain !

So in my opinion, you will not make business with Arab, you are wasting your time, I gave you just an example about a huge Telecom company that is not interested in its ".com" domains, domain that they are using:
Menara.ma and IAM.ma :) while they are making benefits of Billions of Dollars !!

•••
Nice ! see this is something I'd like to ask all you NP people. with NYCARAB.com is that proper english or does it work? as opposed to ArabNYC.com no offense Brandingtheweb.com I just want to know because I own. PropertyArab.com, LuxuryArab.com,DestinationArab.com,
InvestorArab.com
EmiratiArab.com
RentalArab.com
ShoppingArab.com
VillaArab.com

That's all the similar improper English stuff. Below is the better stuff I think.

WealthyArab.com
ArabMansion.com
ArabResidences.com
ArabWealthy.com
EmirateArab.com
ArabEmirati.com
ArabLuxuryProperty.com
ArabLuxuryVilla.com
ArabEmiratesLuxury.com
ArabLuxuryHotel.com

Opinions wanted of Course. Thanks.

In English, the adjective comes before the noun but in Arabic it comes after the noun so it appears you thought the Arabic way cause none of the names above would sound good in English because they will simply sound ackward.

NYCArab is correct but ArabNYC isnt... The lates can only be seen used with some Arabs since it is just a matter of what is linguistically callled...Mother Tongue Interference .

I have done many rrsearches about this anf even had it as my graduation project (BA in Translation)

On the other hand, the following IS OK

WealthyArab.com
ArabMansion.com
ArabResidences.com
ArabWealthy.com
EmirateArab.com
ArabEmirati.com
ArabLuxuryProperty.com
ArabLuxuryVilla.com
ArabEmiratesLuxury.com
ArabLuxuryHotel.com

•••
It is so complicated to understand Arabic unless you are a native Arab. For Buy, in Arabic YASHTARI, ISHTARI (Noun) and ASHTARI (Verb).

there are a lot of other words that mean "Buy" :) so Arab have the choice:

ichtari, yachtari, ichtaroo, ichtarou, chiraa2
i9tani, i9tana, i9tinaa2, iktani, iktana, iktinaa, iktinaa2 .....

Arabic is very rich language, you have the alternative for 95% of the words, even god has 99 names :-D

There are 346 words that mean "Lion" !!! so ... it's complicated to find a single exclusive word in arabic

•••
Ishtri is a good name, but as I said and as you know there are many alternative spellings depending on the country and even in the same country you can find too many alternative, for example:
in Kuwait : ishtri or eshtri
in Egypt: ishtiri or eshteri or eshtiri ...
in Morocco: shri or chri (because Moroccan speak French as second language and they prefer "ch" instead of "sh")

it's a litlle bit complicated,

there are 1 IDN word that can success in Arabic contries which is: سكس or جنس (= Sex) but I think this will success all over the world not only in Arabic countries :)
جنس.com (reg on 2004)
سكس.com (reg on 2001) :)

•••
After reading what everyone is saying, I think that Arabic domains are not garbage, but ARABIC IDN is. @Konga said "Dahab" is a slang word. I did a search and it is taken in: com, net, org, co, online, xyz, pro, ws, info, tv, me, co.uk, site, us, biz, eu, name, ninja...amazing!

ADD: I just went to checked Dahab.ae and someone has an open order for it right now since posting this, lol!

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Fayiq.com is five-letters Does it mean something like superior or great? Also maybe could be a kids name?

actually by accident I found it means Super.

•••
alfaylat is Villas?
Rufahia? Luxury?
Alfaylat doesnt sound like villas it sounds more like files - villas can be villat, vellat, vilal, velat, vilat, beyot, this is what i mean by too many choices. IMO best thing is to check google keyword planner and see what gets most searches.

rufahia can be rafaheya, rafahia and so on.

•••
I keep
Istishhad.com +istishad.com
Tahlila.com
Shahadatan.com
Not commercial brands, but after all 25% of the world population understands the meaning of these words.
More than understand Chinese.

•••
Hello,
I am French but was born in Morocco, I know arabic and have too many arab friends,
If you want my opinion, stay away from arabic, because Arab big company or startup when they want to register a domain and find that it's already taken, they choose another one, I think all domain sales about arabic domains were concluded by western people :)
I give you just an example, I worked for Menara which is a Portal of Maroc Telecom which is the first Telecom Operator in Morocco and perhaps in Africa, they own Menara.ma, one day they wanted to buy Menara.com, the owner of Menara.com asked $50 000, so they told him "are you crazy?" :) and forgot about this domain !

So in my opinion, you will not make business with Arab, you are wasting your time, I gave you just an example about a huge Telecom company that is not interested in its ".com" domains, domain that they are using:
Menara.ma and IAM.ma :) while they are making benefits of Billions of Dollars !!
i don't know much about this company but this seems to be true alot of arab companies do not know much about the domains value ...
they don't have the concept of your domain is reflecting your business..these companies are professionals in ripping off the people and get from them as much money as they can but they don't pay for domains....but this is not a rule in my opinion because there is still market for the good domains

•••
I forgot that I got BurjALarab(.)info hehehe.

•••
On the other hand, the following IS OK

WealthyArab.com
ArabMansion.com
ArabResidences.com
ArabWealthy.com
EmirateArab.com
ArabEmirati.com
ArabLuxuryProperty.com
ArabLuxuryVilla.com
ArabEmiratesLuxury.com
ArabLuxuryHotel.com

For short-term investment (2-3 years) I have also:
TradeWithArabs.com
SellToArabs.com
BuyFromArabs.com
DealWithArabs.com

•••
Thank you so much for your input, I ask because I have ishtri.com (to buy?)...I agree translating from another language to english can have many alternative spellings. Unfortunately you would have to register similar variations to keep them from competitors.

•••
Arabbakery.com is an example where it does not make sense as the secondary keyword. -... not sure if it has been mentioned but want to add if your targeting people that speak English as a second language the english character domain name should be clear and easy to spell, also less number of alternative spellings limit confusion. In my opinion.

•••
That is a good discussion. I believe that Arabic domains are not garbage at all, they are being used more and more in my country Lebanon as the interest in online marketing and business is increasing day after day. However the trick is that the name should be spelled correctly, grammatically right and short of course like one word only. Even if an Arabic word can have multiple spellings, you'll find that a really Premium word would be registered in all its forms.
Like "RealEstate" for example in arabic it's: Iqar - aliqar - iqarat - aqar - alaqar - alaqarat - 3iqar - 3aqar - 3iqarat - 3aqarat ...... and many more, however if you look you'll find almost ALL these words are registered already and with many extensions .com .net .org ....
I was lucky enough to acquire "aliqar.com" whom the owner forgot to renew or something and i snatched it as soon as it dropped while all its other extensions are still registered.
So don't hesitate if you find a real high quality Arabic domain.

•••
I shortened the original thread title which was:

Are Arabic character and or Arabic word domains created using western characters garbage?

Just wanted to know since I did register some like last year. I really don't understand why Arabic Character domains and even Arabic word domains created using western characters (A,B,C,D,E-X,Y,Z) haven't really taken off since ICANN allowed IDN's? One would assume easily that anything "arabic" is Big money just because of the wealth in those countries. Why hasn't it been adopted in areas like Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates? I mean for a culture that takes pride in being "Strict" with it's rules and having so much pride in it's culture (rightly so because of it's rich history) why haven't they adopted the idea of using their language with Arabic characters in the domains they use for their businesses? I mean I understand that Saudi Arabia and the UAE basically want western businesses to come to UAE and Saudi Arabia. So it makes sense that they would want to make it easier for Westerners to easily find their websites since of course most Westerners don't read nor speak Arabic but still why not accompanying Arabic domain to match company domain?

I know there are other IDN's but I have a specific purpose for this thread so I'm leaving this as a separate thread and next will be the Chinese IDN version of this thread.

So let's hear all your comments, opinions from everyone newbies to Guru's and everyone in between. Let's hear your thoughts and views and honest opinion on this topic. Thanks.
I tried registering Arabic IDN.IDN, but everything I checked had very high premium pricing. I'm sure there are some good ones to register, but I don't know enough Arabic to know for sure. I have a Chinese IDN.IDN thread already. I choose to stay with the Chinese IDN because I never ran into a premium priced domain.

•••
Really have no idea here, but...I have ArabicNewspapers.com for sale, and it get lots of clicks!

•••
Well, one thing am aware of is that sometimes we use English characters to write Arabic words, for example instead ذهب.موقع . It can be written as Mawke3 Zahab or slang Dahab in .COM plus the accent is different in different countries so there is still many choices for the end user to register. another example is Souq.com souq in arabic means market and it is one of the biggest e-commerce websites in the Arab world. another one is Jumia.com using a brandable name. So the letter ع sometimes is written number 3 mixed with English letters, H or strong H can be written 7 and kh 7'. I personally have only one domain which NEGM.net meaning Star or Actor but it can also be written NEJM so it depends on which country you are targeting in the first place. Plus English is widely spread and almost all companies are using English names for their domains or Arabic written in English characters hence vinsdomains.com is getting a lot of clicks on ArabicNewsPapers.com.

Hope this helps
Thanks for this info. I said in my first post "I don't know enough Arabic to know for sure." This is why I didn't try to hard for the Arabic IDN.IDN registration. Hindi IDN is a similar case. There are Hindi IDN extensions but most of India knows English, which is why I would register .in, but never Hindi IDN extension.

•••
I don't have any Arabic domains. but domains like Abdullah.com are ultra premium names...

•••

Hope this helps

Looks like Konga did the job for me... I came here to explain just that. One thing that can be added is people are not still very aware of this Arabic IDNs and I suspect any are willing to use it even.

So with the alpha numeric domains so popular,plus the different dialects which are used in every country, the IDNs have failed .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back