NameSilo

Apparent scam request for ssl authorisation from AWS.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Kuffy

Name StagTop Member
Impact
I received and email which appears to come from Amazon web services,
Greetings from Amazon Web Services,
We received a request to issue an SSL/TLS certificate for xyz1.com.

I don't use any cloud services, and as far as I know, I don't have an account with AWS. In fact that name is on private hosting, but isn't resolving at the moment ( I need to fix that ).. It doesn't appear to be a problem, but I can't see the mileage in somebody submitting this request. Has anyone got any ideas?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It happens. Somebody either mistyped your domain name or extension (.com vs .co, etc). Maybe the previous owner still thinks that they own the domain in question. The issue is basically harmless, as nobody will be able to visit the website they are configuring.

I had something similar with GoDaddy. Their certificates server sent me a request to approve the ssl certificate for one of my domains each 3 or so days... until I finally blocked the related "e-mail subject" in antispam filter. Maybe they are still sending it...

•••
If you don't accept the request the certificate won't be issued.

•••
This sort of thing puts me off considering using their services.

•••
In their defense, if somebody mistypes a domain name, it is not thier fault you know.

Somebody didn't update the contact details on a domain that dropped, and I am getting afternic fast transfer request every few days for that domain lol. It is not Afternic's fault

•••
Afternic used to support front runners, are they still doing this?

•••
Afternic used to support front runners, are they still doing this?
Let us just say, I don't trust anyone haha

•••
You're put off from using AWS? I wouldn't be... it's really awesome. :happy:

The SSL certificates are issued for free and as I've already said if you don't accept the request it won't issue the certificate. There isn't a hole in the security in this process. It's like someone signing up for a website with your email address and you getting an email about it.

•••
You're put off from using AWS? I wouldn't be... it's really awesome. :happy:

The SSL certificates are issued for free and as I've already said if you don't accept the request it won't issue the certificate. There isn't a hole in the security in this process. It's like someone signing up for a website with your email address and you getting an email about it.
+1

•••
It looks like someone mistakenly added your domain to his/her AWS account and AWS tried to make a verification in order to issue SSL. Some SSL services send notification emails when SSL can not be issued or renewed for unsuccessful automated verification which is made through CAA record in DNS and/or accessing hosting files.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back