IT.COM

discuss .app discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I would like to hear your thoughts about .app extension, because actually it is only extension that excited me till now due to both the owner of it and the meaning of it...

So imo this extension will be very popular but i need some pros opinions about it :D

Thank you.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
Of the 1000+ new gTLDs its probably the most promising, imo.

•••
•••
Google will force YourAppsName.app
Dominate !

•••
Charleston Road Registry plans to develop and publish eligibility criteria for all registrants in the proposed gTLD and will work with its registrars to execute the eligibility verification process. Google is limiting the use of .APP to “provide a dedicated domain space for application developers.”

Being challenged but it might not be the opportunity you want it to be.

•••
Being challenged but it might not be the opportunity you want it to be.

Can you post origins of that news?

So should I to assume that if you have a Google app developer account (which I do) and have apps published in playstore you will have a better opportunity to purchase the .App extension?

•••
It will be a great domain extension.

•••
I am going working on a college paper on "personal home pages" being obsolete, and in it I discuss this .app as a part of it. Most people who still have home pages are professionals using them for resumes of sorts; not using them for "personal" reasons.

•••
•••
•••
As i understand actually this .app will decrease the enduser sales of .com due to availablity of .app extension for application developers.

Well, first i was excited but now i am terrified...

If they do such a thing i dont think that it will be easy to trick google to have .app extensions maybe even in this situation google may just let you ''rent'' the name you want under some circumstances.

I have a lot of ? in my mind right now.

But it would be a big power for a company and apple should have some actions for .app too.

Am i wrong?

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
I don't see any actual need or demand for this extension, but maybe marketing would change that. Google's interest in this may be defensive.

I don't see this being big. Why? Because you can find nice .com domains that are surprisingly free or cheap and then you find an app with that name - that does not need or want a website and just does not care about a domain. And the developer can create a page on github or another venue if they want.

•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back