IT.COM

discuss Anyone still making decent money with domaining? $100k+?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi all,
I was involved heavily in domaining back in 2007-2009 and then again in 2016-2017, during the times when the market was going up and it was good and easier to make money. I still have about 400 names, and get some automated sales on afternic every couple months, but haven't been actively buying any or checking it for the past 5 years or so.
Curious if anyone still making good money via buying and selling domains? I don't mean just sitting on premium names for 20 years, but actively buying and selling as your main occupation? What's the market like currently?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What's the market like currently?
Hi

you'll have to dive in to see what it's like. :)

i can tell you that it's more competitive than years past.
simply because there are more people involved and there is more money in the pockets of domainers and other investors.

btw: the last domain i sold, was held for 17 years.
so i and many others, are still holding them long term, until the right buyer comes along.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Hi

you'll have to dive in to see what it's like. :)
Hi biggie!
I'm considering that, but it's time consuming to catch up on things.. Where do people go to look for bargains and good deals these days? Do you mostly buy on auctions?

•••
this is my worst year. I haven't cleared 100 yet but I am certain I will get over that by the end of the year. I know plenty of guys who are over 100k at the moment. there's still plenty of money in domains its just harder now.

Last edited:
•••
this is my worst year. I haven't cleared 100 yet but I am certain I will get over that by the end of the year. I know plenty of guys who are over 100k at the moment. there's still plenty of money in domains its just harder now.
Would you say the quality of your inventory is comparable to prior years (i.e. length, tld, keywords)? I am curious if there is a demand drop or something else is causing the decline.

•••
Hi biggie!
I'm considering that, but it's time consuming to catch up on things.. Where do people go to look for bargains and good deals these days? Do you mostly buy on auctions?
Hi

bargains and deals, come in time
so, you'll have to be ready to buy when they become available.

other than that, best way to find, is to place backorders and bid in auctions.

imo....

•••
there's still plenty of money in domains its just harder now.
I think this perfectly describes what is going on in the domain market.

•••
Would you say the quality of your inventory is comparable to prior years (i.e. length, tld, keywords)? I am curious if there is a demand drop or something else is causing the decline
Well over the last few years I didn't really maintain the inventory. I was just selling everything with out replacing it. I still have good names But my port size is small. I am in the rebuilding phase now and its much harder then before. But I am very confident I can succeed and get where I want to be. its just going to take a lot of time and effort.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back