IT.COM

Anyone Read "The Domain Game"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I was wondering who has read "The Domain Game" by David Kesmodel and what your thoughts are about the book? Seems like a good book about the history of domaining.

I would like to buy the Kindle version but I noticed an Amazon reviewer said the formatting was weird. Has anyone bought the Kindle version?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I bought the book at Amazon, that was at least a year ago (harcopy version).
I don't like proprietary formats.

Veterans won't learn much, but there are some interesting anecdotes even oldtimers probably didn't know about. I think it's a very good intro to domaining, and it looks at the past. As you put it, it is a book about the history of domaining :)
I would recommend it.

•••
•••
•••
definitely worth reading

•••
I read it, great book. David was a guest speaker at the GeoEXPO Show in Chicago right after it came out. I got one of the last hardbacks he was giving out, autographed.

•••

I'm not surprised about the weird Kindle formatting; I'm in the process of preparing a book for Kindle, and it's really tricky.

If you convert the document from Word, you have to change all the paragraphing tabs to a first-line indent (I had to do it manually because Word's search and replace kept crashing on me).

It's a wonder anyone gets anything formatted properly for Kindle.

Also, if the author used a lot of tables, they probably got mashed up in the conversion, especially if he uploaded the text before Kindle offered Table support.

With a Kindle text, the reader has the option to change the size of the text (Old tired eyes, LOL), so if the writer tried to "format" the text so that it fits in a certain sized space, then one could find "odd" spacing, etc.

From what I have heard, it takes authors three to five uploads before the text is right. I'm hoping to avoid that by reading everything I can on the Kindle forums.

Maybe the author of The Domain Game ought to try reformatting and reloading his text; people who pay nearly $8.00 deserve to have a readable copy.

•••
I was wondering who has read "The Domain Game" by David Kesmodel and what your thoughts are about the book? Seems like a good book about the history of domaining.
It is a good introduction to domaining history. The anecdotes are very much American but they are interesting. Reading about some of the people behind the evolution of drop catching and domain tasting was also good. I've the hardback rather than the Kindle edition. It is definitely worth buying if you are serious about domaining.

Regards...jmcc

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back