IT.COM

discuss Anyone domaining for years and never sold anything?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

vntornado

Established Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
99% of domainers don't sell anything because they focus on hand-registering tens if not hundreds of domains at the beginning instead of buying a few decent ones from the aftermarket. Renewal fees are what kills most of the newcomers, as it usually takes 2+ years to sell a domain with no outbound.
I fell into the same trap in the beginning but learned after a year or 2, and just last week had my first ever day with 2 end-user sales ($1k + $2k).

•••
I'm sure there are quite a few, but for varying reasons. There are long-term holders that only acquire premium domains and are waiting for top offers. There are others that get into domaining and don't have a lot of time to work on it so they leave their domains sitting without for sale pages.

I don't think it's hard to get at least one sale in a few years if you are persistent.

•••
99% of domainers don't sell anything because they focus on hand-registering tens if not hundreds of domains at the beginning instead of buying a few decent ones from the aftermarket. Renewal fees are what kills most of the newcomers, as it usually takes 2+ years to sell a domain with no outbound.
I fell into the same trap in the beginning but learned after a year or 2, and just last week had my first ever day with 2 end-user sales ($1k + $2k).
Good job there ! Personally as a newcomer ,registered a few silly names that might sound cool but worth nothing at all , thankfully it wasn't hundreds..

By aftermarket you mean just dropped valuable words in .com and backlinks amounts / ranks , or something else?

How did you find the end users if you'd like to elaborate?

•••
I got some offers, but I wasn't happy ,so i declined it .
maybe i should start first to learn how to accept

•••
I don't think hand-registering is the problem. Personally, I have never bought a name from the aftermarket, I only research and hand-register names. I have a portfolio of 265 names comprising of 60 .coms, 130 99 cent .xyz, about 40 SAV $3 .cos, few .orgs and .nets. I have a total sale so far of $3k. Sold PilotInvesting/com for 800, NovaDAO/xyz for 1k, MetaSpeed/xyz for 399..... and some other smaller sales.

I am not overly profitable yet, but not running at a loss. Total portfolio cost less than $1500. I am still reading, learning, and improving as I go.

My advice will be never to hand-register a name if you don't have all your basics covered yet. I started with about $200, most of the 265 names were bought from proceeds of the few sales reported.

•••
I joined the domaining industry in 2005. 1st I bought few dropped domains with PR and didn't sell any and I also dropped them.

After few years I was caught up with 4L.com buy out and bought few. But didn't bought much as I'm late to join. After seeing the 4L success at that time, bought many other domain buyout names such as 4L.net, ccc.net, ccc.org etc. I actually bought over 400 of them. Renewed for about 2 years hoping that the price will rise like 4L. But it never did. Lost a lot compared to my salary from job.

So I studied, bought many from after markets, sold on namepros and other reseller markets for small profits. Still not enough to cover the renewals.

Then Only I decided to trim my portfolio to about 20% with only valuable domains. Sold couple of domains to end users. Took many years for that to happen

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back