IT.COM

Any tips for registering new technology names? Also, "tech" or "technology"?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I'm completely new to domaining. I'm thinking about registering some names relating to a new/upcoming technology. Any tips?

The name of the technology is two words. Those two words are registered already, of course. However, I could add "tech" or a number of other words to the end relating to what it will be used for, like "movies" for instance. Is three words too much? Might these domains ever be worth anything?

I'm also wondering whether to use "tech" or "technology" in the name. Is one better than the other? Google returns 993,000,000 results for "technology" alone, and 608,000,000 for "tech." However, tech is shorter. Is there a simple rule here, or is it case specific.

Thanks in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Today, I just bought 15-20 domains relating to "telesurgery" or "remote surgery" (including one of the rare instances where I'm comfortable buying .orgs)

First, understand your nomenclature. For example, in remote surgery, it's called "remote surgery" here in the US but more commonly "telesurgery" elsewhere. I had to buy both remotesurgery and telesurgery domains to hedge against one term being standardized over the other.

Understand your word variables. If you feel strongly enough to invest in a name, you should always buy the common variants. For example, telesurgery and telesurgical, singular and plural, etc.

Try to 'think like a vendor' and buy the most generic term possible. For example, TelesurgerySystem.com, TelesurgeryRobot.com (and of course, TelesurgerySystems and TelesurgeryRobots). Words like "tech", "best", etc completely suck. You don't understand this because you're new (and once upon a time, we were all there with you), but when you have your "domaining light bulb moment", you will get it. If a keyword included in the domain doesn't enhance it specificity, it's dead weight that profoundly drags it down.

If you're way ahead of the curve- as far as the viability of the technology versus the availability of eponymous domains, it's wise to grab (keyword)shop.com and (keyword)store.com. Those are two of the strongest, sure-fire commercially viable domains you can have; related to this, know your time frames as far as when you intend to convert. My cost to carry the telesurgery domains I bought today will be about $2K every 10 years, barring a draconian increase in reg fees. I'm definitely rowing with the current, given 'certain things' surrounding this technology, but I didn't buy them hoping to list them on SEDO and get end-user buyers tomorrow- and if I don't let them drop next year... These are "for the kids college fund" domains.

Be aware that being too keyword specific with tech can kill you, since tech changes so quickly.

Last edited:
•••
Great tips, thanks Dongsman!

I'm very new to this, it will only be my second name. The first, lolwave.com, was a failure. I bought it because of the new Google Wave application coming out without realizing the issues with trademark names. I'll probably not do too well with this one either, so I plan to only buy the single best name I can think of. I'm just a poor student. The technology I'm interested in also has two [or maybe more] terms associated with it. One is already taken for the name I want. I think the other one might have potential though.

Today, I just bought 15-20 domains relating to "telesurgery".

First, understand your nomenclature. For example, in remote surgery, it's called "remote surgery" here but more commonly "telesurgery" elsewhere. I had to buy both remotesurgery and telesurgery domains.

Understand your word variables. If you feel strongly enough to invest in a name, you should always buy the common variants. For example, telesurgery and telesurgical.

Try to 'think like a vendor' and buy the most generic term possible. For example, TelesurgerySystem.com, TelesurgeryRobot.com (and of course, TelesurgerySystems and TelesurgeryRobots)

If you're way ahead of the curve- as far as the viability of the technology versus the availability of eponymous domains, it's wise to grab (keyword)shop.com and (keyword)store.com. Those are two of the strongest, sure-fire commercially viable domains you can have.

•••
A lot of domainers will tell you that its better to buy tons of domains and if like Dongsman your pockets are deep you can sure as hell do that, but often its beter to do broad searches like he says and only choose the best sounding domains to buy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back