Dynadot

Any legal issues if I try to promote sale of this domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Mayz.com - I snapped up this domain as part of a group of domains that someone else was letting expire a few years ago... registered it really just because it was part of that group - didn't really know what the name represented. Anyhow, more on that in my appraisal thread: http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=93050

After searching Google, it turns out that the name "Mayz" is the name of a rock band in the UK, the name of some hip hop artist or group and is the last name of a female singer who seems to be a professional from the look of her website.

Would there be any potential legal issues if I was to email those three people/groups to tell them that I would like to sell the domain name?

By the way, I did a search and found no US trademarks for "mayz"

Thanks,

John

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
john2k said:
Would there be any potential legal issues if I was to email those three people/groups to tell them that I would like to sell the domain name?

It's called "cybersquatting". And there's an administrative proceeding that'll
attempt to rectify that. ;)

•••
Tough call...you should speak with someone who can give you serious legal advice. My advice would be to develop the name into something...it can be anything just do not park it nor use it in relation to their usage.

Then consider contacting them with a very carefully worded letter.

•••
hm i dont knw if emailing them is a big deal? is it really?

•••
I'd just sell it, Can't do anything if you're not the ownwer, tm are being sold and brought everyday

•••
If they own a trademark and the name is associated only with them you could face a lot of legal probs if you try to market it directly to the trade mark holder.

:|

•••
john2k said:
Mayz.com - I snapped up this domain as part of a group of domains that someone else was letting expire a few years ago... registered it really just because it was part of that group - didn't really know what the name represented. Anyhow, more on that in my appraisal thread: http://www.namepros.com/showthread.php?t=93050

After searching Google, it turns out that the name "Mayz" is the name of a rock band in the UK, the name of some hip hop artist or group and is the last name of a female singer who seems to be a professional from the look of her website.

By the way, I did a search and found no US trademarks for "mayz"

Thanks,

John
i dont think there is thatbig of a problem as long as you are going by the name Mayz for a completetly different purpose than others are.

If they havent registered .com as of now, I would say that its fair game

-Steve

•••
put up some non-realted info and I think you'll be OK!

Any traffic stats?

•••
No there woudnt, as of it is outside of the us

•••
Why don't you bid the site to both parties? Give the site to the higher bidder.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back