Dynadot

ccTLD Any issues with .yt domains (mayotte)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

whytf

Established Member
Impact
Hi dear NamePros,

please excuse my newbie question. I just wondered, why .yt domains are that unpopular.
- are there legal issues with
- - YouTube
- - or this trademark: www*trademarkia.com/yt-85653786.html (that's a composite mark, I think)
- are they unpopular because they are used by spammers

My thoughts
- there might be trademark issues, but... it's a ccTLD!
- brains get primed. Many People have this neuronal yt = video connection.

I would really appreciate your thoughts on that matter!

Thank you, matthias

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No, there are no trademark issues. *Every* TLD has one and such similarities to registered trade names, they're of no interest.

It's just that it's almost impossible to register .yt domains. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.yt

•••
The registration rules for .yt have been relaxed along with .fr, .pm, .re etc.
But the local market is small, and the TLD is pretty much starting from scratch and has little history.
That's why it's not popular.

•••
Domain addiction?

Ah ok thank you very much.

You can register them for a low price, payed 8$ yesterday.
There are some very nice names available with .pm, .re, .tf and .name extension. Like howto*yt for example, which I could not resist to register just some minutes ago. I really like tutorials, videos and domain hacks.

Would love to make an aggregation site for YouTube tutorial videos.

What do you think? A serious case of domain addiction or wisely invested money? I really can't tell, any thoughts welcome.

// EDIT
Note to self: stop registering domain names for fun

Last edited:
•••
I didn't even know .YT existed for what does it stand (country) ?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back