Dynadot

news An inside look at how Yachts.com owner is trying to develop it as a revenue stream

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Overall, I have been making significant progress with Yachts.com, but haven’t found a good way to make money from it yet. My lack of boating experience has not been a problem at least. The biggest thing I have to figure out is, conceptually, if I am going to try to make Yachts.com into a website or a brand. With the website, I am limited by how much traffic it gets. And right now it only gets 40 visitors a day. As an alternative, I could focus on leveraging the Yachts.com name, like by having Yachts.com boat brokerages in various cities. Or partnering with local boating vendors in each city (such as for boat cleaning/repair) and making them authorized Yachts.com partners, where they would use the Yachts.com name to stand out from the competition and I would feed them leads, a little bit like how a franchise works...
Read More

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
40 visitors a day, growth potential is huge.

Screenshot from 2021-09-30 07-58-22.png Screenshot from 2021-09-30 07-58-51.png Screenshot from 2021-09-30 07-56-22.png

•••
Alright mate. Good evening from wet and windy Angleterre. I'm drinking Adnams Southwold Ghostship. It's a fruity citrus pale ale brewed to 4.5 % vol. My favourite alcoholic beverage after a hard days labour. We are a yachting nation here in good ole Blighty. My advice for yachting.com, a fine name all told, is to focus on one main revenue stream which is also what your brand (and it is a brand) will be known for. The obvious one is a marketplace for buying and selling yachts, and suggest you aim to make it global. With quality traffic (rich people looking to buy yachts) you can charge yacht sellers to list their yachts. You might charge $ 100 for a standard listing and $ 250 for a featured listing. If you can set it up so that it works technically it would be a great start. Quality control is essential. You want to become the go to place for anyone looking to sell or buy a yacht. Beyond that there are many ways to get extra traffic. You can advertise marina, gear, jobs, events, insurance, charters, vacations, repair, servicing, training, upgrades and so much more. Immediately you can get extra traffic by posting a calendar of yachting events, both competitive and commercial. Your editorial arm can cover yachting history, yachting news and regulations, luxury featured yachts, interviews with yachters, new technology. List is abundant. But stick to the core at the start and get it right. Good things will follow afterwards. Cheers.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Off memory there was a yachts magazine and a yachting magazine sails magazine and sailing magazine at one point in 80's

Last edited:
•••
Having a premium domain has opened a lot of doors. This time next year Eric will be talking about 7 figure deals.

•••
He needs to partner with L.L.Bean and sell and promote custom yacht upholstery. Statistically speaking, you're looking at a 65% growth rate in the first year and revenue far exceeding $12 million dollars.

Or he could just spend $20,000 on outbound marketing and sell the domain for $375,000 and call it good.

•••
Thanks for posting this, enjoyed reading his story how/why he bought the domain too.

•••
Proves you can get things done with the correct mindset. Though given many opportunities in life I had a self destructive mindset for most of my life. I wasted so many opportunities, and crucially it took until very recently to learn the most important lesson in life which is to show respect to everyone regardless of who they are. If I get any more opportunities I won't waste them. Reading stories like Eric's is truly motivating and shows if you keep moving forwards towards positive goals you can achieve great things, seemingly impossible things. If, and it's a very big IF, I am successful from this point forward I will use any extra wealth I receive to help others in need and work towards helping to create a sustainable planet with opportunities for all.

•••
Looks like he converted it to an affiliate site now using Viator.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back