Dynadot

advice An Inbound Query

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ignorance

Established Member
Impact
I bought a .com from a Godaddy auction less than a week ago and I thought I may have overpaid at low xxx, but I have just received an email from the .org asking if I want to sell. I directed them to the Afternic selling page with the BIN and permission to email me with any further questions. This is very exciting for me as this potentially would be my biggest sale yet.

Do I need to do anything else? Sit and wait?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just sit and wait my friend. :)

You have the leverage as they contacted you first.

•••
Might want to let the domain sit in your account for a wee bit longer, to get the total chance of a GD clawback behind you

•••
Might want to let the domain sit in your account for a wee bit longer, to get the total chance of a GD clawback behind you
I'm scared to ask, but what is the GD clawback....

•••
I bought a .com from a Godaddy auction less than a week ago and I thought I may have overpaid at low xxx, but I have just received an email from the .org asking if I want to sell. I directed them to the Afternic selling page with the BIN and permission to email me with any further questions. This is very exciting for me as this potentially would be my biggest sale yet.

Do I need to do anything else? Sit and wait?

They contacted you and you directed them to afternic?

I contact almost everyone via whois now even if privacy is enabled. You can still contact the domain owner. I explain that in a private sale there are no fees and I find it a much better way to acquire my domain.

I will look at afternic, uniregistry, godaddy etc but I mostly buy in private by contacting the owner directly.

I am wondering why you would send your sale away to afternic instead of taking charge. Ask for a contact number, get on the phone and make a deal. All this waiting stuff just makes it more complicated than it needs to be, and why you want to give any money to afternic/godaddy is beyond me (n)

•••
They contacted you and you directed them to afternic?

I contact almost everyone via whois now even if privacy is enabled. You can still contact the domain owner. I explain that in a private sale there are no fees and I find it a much better way to acquire my domain.

I will look at afternic, uniregistry, godaddy etc but I mostly buy in private by contacting the owner directly.

I am wondering why you would send your sale away to afternic instead of taking charge. Ask for a contact number, get on the phone and make a deal. All this waiting stuff just makes it more complicated than it needs to be, and why you want to give any money to afternic/godaddy is beyond me (n)
I haven't been in this very long. Mistakes were made.

•••
Sometimes the original owner will pay the late fee and GD will take the domain from you and give it back to the origninal owner. Rare but enough of a thing to let a domain sit for a week or so before actively selling it.

•••
Also in the future, you might consider that an inbound is your customer/client. And you can steer this person to the payment/marketplace of your choice. (cheaper easier to you) not necessarily a Godaddy place.

•••
I'm buying a domain right now and the owner keeps mentioning godaddy. I asked him too why he wants to pay that fee. We can split the difference and make a deal, godaddy has enough money without needing ours.

Needles to say... in the end money talks, we all like to save a buck if we can.

•••
Called the phone number on the .org and we ended up going through Paypal, so no fees! I got about 4.5 times more than what I paid for it at auction.

•••
•••
Called the phone number on the .org and we ended up going through Paypal, so no fees! I got about 4.5 times more than what I paid for it at auction.
Awesome, great choice to call them! I hope you didn't call without letting them via email that you'll call, because that could indicate that you're desperate to sell and that can often lose a deal.

•••
Would you share the sale price? Thanks!

•••
I hope you didn't call without letting them via email that you'll call, because that could indicate that you're desperate to sell and that can often lose a deal.

It's one of the things people think is a mistake. I started negotiations with a domainer last night to purchase a domain and finished it in about 5 minutes. It does not mean anyone is desperate when we communicate quickly, it just means you have someone running an efficient business.

I don't answer my business line and say hold please so I don't seem desperate. I answer politely and start the process of selling. I find all the assumptions and preconceived notions mostly get in the way.

Email me for a domain name and if I am at my desk I will respond in minutes, that has not cost me any deals. Quite the opposite I sold two to one person who loved how RESPONSIVE I was.

The art of communication is the key and the domaining industry is no exception, we seem to think we know it all and no response is best but that is why so many domainers have no sales.

Sure there are always the exceptional portfolios where you can just sit back and wait for offers but most domainers don't fit into that category and they need to work it to make sales.

•••
•••
It's one of the things people think is a mistake. I started negotiations with a domainer last night to purchase a domain and finished it in about 5 minutes. It does not mean anyone is desperate when we communicate quickly, it just means you have someone running an efficient business.

I don't answer my business line and say hold please so I don't seem desperate. I answer politely and start the process of selling. I find all the assumptions and preconceived notions mostly get in the way.

Email me for a domain name and if I am at my desk I will respond in minutes, that has not cost me any deals. Quite the opposite I sold two to one person who loved how RESPONSIVE I was.

The art of communication is the key and the domaining industry is no exception, we seem to think we know it all and no response is best but that is why so many domainers have no sales.

Sure there are always the exceptional portfolios where you can just sit back and wait for offers but most domainers don't fit into that category and they need to work it to make sales.
I'm not referring to when the buyer is calling, I'm referring to when sellers are calling trying to sell something.
Personally if I would be interested in buying a domain for my business I wouldn't like to be called by the seller if I wasn't informed via email first.
You're definetly right, no one wants to waste time when making a deal, communication is key.

•••
20% to afternic is bad, you could have used escrow or undeveloped

•••
20% to afternic is bad, you could have used escrow or undeveloped
Do you actually read the threads? Or just reply to the original post.

•••
FLAWLESS VICTORY!

If domaining was Mortal Combat.

•••
Taking Paypal as payment method can be risky too, for digital goods they don't protect the seller at all. Hope you are dealing with a serious buyer.
Congrats for the fast flip! (y)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back