Dynadot

American Questions

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello Fellas,

Could anyone enlighten me please?

1. When reg'ing a name aimed at the USA market - what goes before the name? USA, America, or American?
2. As some of the names of the states or cities are very long, do Americans always use the recognised abbreviated names at the beginning of the name?
3. Is there a recognised abbreviation of "apartment"?
4. Is the name of the state used before or after the name?
5. Is the word "co" or "com" (for company) used frequently, after a name? If so - which one?

Thanks for any help.
charbar.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
1. When reg'ing a name aimed at the USA market - what goes before the name? USA, America, or American? ---- Yikes, too many caveats for this one... I'll let someone else field it.
2. As some of the names of the states or cities are very long, do Americans always use the recognised abbreviated names at the beginning of the name? ------ No, we never "always" do anything ;)
3. Is there a recognised abbreviation of "apartment"? ------ Typically Apt.
4. Is the name of the state used before or after the name? ------- Depends on the name. TennesseeTaxes makes sense in that order, but VisitTennessee makes sense in that order... Totally depends on the usage.
5. Is the word "co" or "com" (for company) used frequently, after a name? If so - which one? --------- "CO" after the name, but only for smaller companies typically. you won't see IBMco or IBMinc anywhere, for example. It would be more like JacksTermiteControlCo or similar.

-Allan

•••
i owuld use US, or USA after your name -- like "nicUSA.com" because "USAnic" makes less sense

•••
i agree with sleepy....

USonline USAonline

it just sounds better than onlineus, etc

•••
i would use onlineusa rather...

•••
I'd toss in the "A" if you're targeting the United States of America.

"US" alone might be misunderstood as us or we as in you and I... or you and I and half a dozen other people : )

Lyte

•••
I would use USA. Before or after depends on the name and how it sounds. :)

Spy

•••
well i have some domains with USname, i think sound more cool than USAname. also nameUS is cool too, but not nameUSA, this sounds terrible

•••
That could be true too. Its really depends on the name.

•••
spy69 said:
That could be true too. Its really depends on the name.

Yeah... okay, I'll buy that. ;)

I was thinking only of the target audience but I think the name attached to the US or USA could influence your choice.

Lyte

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back