Domain Empire

new gtlds Amazon Wins The .Free New Domain Extension Beating Google, Donuts, Uniregistry M +M

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
Amazon has won the rights to operate the .Free new gTLD.
Amazon beat Google, Donuts, Minds +Machines, and Uniregistry in a private auction to win the rights to .Free
.Free was scheduled to go to an ICANN Last Resort Auction later this month.
Amazon already won the rights to the .buy new gTLD which is pretty much the opposite of .free
It will be really interesting to see what Amazon plans to do with .free.
Other than sometimes .free shipping I’m not sure what Amazon offers for free, except for a receipt for all your purchases.
Full Article: http://www.thedomains.com/2015/03/1...ension-beating-google-donuts-uniregistry-m-m/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It can redirect something.free to something.buy ;)

•••
Amazon Prime offers free shipping. It may be linked to this.

•••
This is a nonsensical new gTLD in my opinion.

Tools.Free? Free.Tools? Which sounds more natural?

I can't put anything in front of .free that makes sense (that is generic and not a long tail exact match). The only model I can see behind this is Amazon opening up free .free domain names to use and test with AWS/EC2 or the like, before emphasizing the importance of upgrading an instance (EC2 micro in this case) to a paid one and offering another gTLD that Amazon owns and fits the customers' business as an upsell.

Edit: Hands.Free, Hassle.Free, and some others... but limited to a select few.

•••
I can't put anything in front of .free that makes sense (that is generic and not a long tail exact match).

True and a common issue with many new GTLDs.

•••
I'm hoping it's for free domain names.

•••
disease.free, perhaps?

I'll see myself out now.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back