IT.COM

domain Am I Doing Something Wrong? - FlavWater.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MitchH

Established Member
Impact
Hello all!

So, long story short, I've tried seeking advice regarding my domains on this site several times, but I have not had much (if any) feedback. I've also tried selling my domains for quite some time on this website, Sedo and GoDaddy, but I haven't made any sales (I haven't received any interest at all actually). I'm doing a lot of market research and buying domains accordingly (I think), but I feel as though I must be doing something wrong because I have not received any interest at all. Before I continue buying domains, I was hoping someone could provide advice on a few domains I have registered to see if I'm completely wasting my time or if on the right track?

Just a couple of examples:
MedicareDrugPrices.com
OilBarrelPrices.com
WageInflation.com
ProductionTargets.com
ReformProgram.com
ConnectingPlatforms.com
PasswordAuthentication.com
IndustryMerger.com
WaterPails.com

I've also attempted brandables:
Fuzzlee.com
JayVox.com
VerifiLink.com
BankerWallet.com
FlavWater.com

What is your honest opinion? Are these domain examples on the right track or are they completely worthless? I'm really trying my best to learn and adapt to this market, but I really don't feel as though I'm doing well. All advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hello all!

So, long story short, I've tried seeking advice regarding my domains on this site several times, but I have not had much (if any) feedback. I've also tried selling my domains for quite some time on this website, Sedo and GoDaddy, but I haven't made any sales (I haven't received any interest at all actually). I'm doing a lot of market research and buying domains accordingly (I think), but I feel as though I must be doing something wrong because I have not received any interest at all. Before I continue buying domains, I was hoping someone could provide advice on a few domains I have registered to see if I'm completely wasting my time or if on the right track?

Just a couple of examples:
MedicareDrugPrices.com
OilBarrelPrices.com
WageInflation.com
ProductionTargets.com
ReformProgram.com
ConnectingPlatforms.com
PasswordAuthentication.com
IndustryMerger.com
WaterPails.com

I've also attempted brandables:
Fuzzlee.com
JayVox.com
VerifiLink.com
BankerWallet.com
FlavWater.com

What is your honest opinion? Are these domain examples on the right track or are they completely worthless? I'm really trying my best to learn and adapt to this market, but I really don't feel as though I'm doing well. All advice is appreciated.

Thank you!
All good advice above, at least you got the .com right. Read about domaining 6.0, I believe this to still be in effect. More power brands lean toward one-two word .coms over brandable .me/.io though. I do believe it's always been about the brand, if not, it should be. Most of the category killers and keyword domains have been used for the bigger picture (pushing targeted traffic, potential customers, affiliates to their brand). I think you are on the right track but your keyword domains should be dropped or auctioned. The brandables should be shorter- Fuzzee, Javox, Verilink, Flava or better yet Fuzzy, Javo, Verify, Link, Flavor
Many newcomers read outdated ebooks/articles and think it's easy money if they find the right search volume..it takes time, and today more money, to pass the learning curve. I think unless you have a strong budget and competitive nature you may as well throw in the towel. I see the liquid market is coming back down to earth, might be worth looking into. City/State+Service.com will always have their place as geo based businesses want the local name of authority. You may want to have a look at @Dave's Domain score list. I think he may be on to something here if he can streamline and get the weighting down. I don't think the search volume matter as much as search results, but that's me. I look for .coms with many extensions registered, among the oldest drops on the list. I run a lot of similar scenarios through my head and you will find a formula that works for you eventually.

•••
All good advice above, at least you got the .com right. Read about domaining 6.0, I believe this to still be in effect. More power brands lean toward one-two word .coms over brandable .me/.io though. I do believe it's always been about the brand, if not, it should be. Most of the category killers and keyword domains have been used for the bigger picture (pushing targeted traffic, potential customers, affiliates to their brand). I think you are on the right track but your keyword domains should be dropped or auctioned. The brandables should be shorter- Fuzzee, Javox, Verilink, Flava or better yet Fuzzy, Javo, Verify, Link, Flavor
Many newcomers read outdated ebooks/articles and think it's easy money if they find the right search volume..it takes time, and today more money, to pass the learning curve. I think unless you have a strong budget and competitive nature you may as well throw in the towel. I see the liquid market is coming back down to earth, might be worth looking into. City/State+Service.com will always have their place as geo based businesses want the local name of authority. You may want to have a look at @Dave's Domain score list. I think he may be on to something here if he can streamline and get the weighting down. I don't think the search volume matter as much as search results, but that's me. I look for .coms with many extensions registered, among the oldest drops on the list. I run a lot of similar scenarios through my head and you will find a formula that works for you eventually.

Thanks for your feedback, Rich! Really great information and advice!

I was hoping to register shorter brandable names, but they were already taken. I found out today that "Fuzzlee" was accepted by BrandPa. I was honestly surprised by that, but I'll take it!

I will take a look at your links right now. Thanks again for helping!

•••
I think @Astner asks a good question that we often overlook, and that is relevant here and to most of the cases where we are discussing names on NPs. A name that might well be good or great for a small organization or local company might get no zero consideration for a Fortune 500 company or even an aggressive startup with grand plans. In evaluating names we should really ask ourselves what audience is intended, and the price asked should be appropriate to the intended market. If asking high $$ to mid $$$ some names that a Fortune 500 would never consider might be appealing to that small NGO with a low budget or a local 3 person trade or a consultant or blogger. Potential audience matters!

For example, in the OP list WageInflation.com is a perfect example. An economic blogger, writer, union research group, etc. might find it a really good name (it is descriptive, memorable, great extension), if it is offered at a suitable price point. About half of the names in the first list are similar to me.

Very true, I think we sort of get lost in finding a clever names without thinking about the broader picture; who would actually want it? Just because it sounds good does not equate to a sale. Another question is how do we properly market these names to smaller start-ups or bloggers, etc? Domain names themselves are niche, but the market overall is niche. It's all very interesting.

•••
I really thought that VerifiLink . com was a great brandable name, but BrandPa just rejected it. Really confusing because they accepted "Fuzzlee," but I don't think that's as good as VerifiLink. Very interesting. Also, I'm still researching and learning new techniques based on all of your advice. Thanks again for the help!

•••
A few very basic rules to a successful domainer...

- time
- a good portfolio
- large inventory

In most cases you need all three and it was not until I had almost 1000 domains that I started to get a decent sales rate. 10-20 domains in inventory will usually sit for a long long time unless they are specifically needed by someone.

The larger the inventory base the more sales you get. Huge domains is a prime example, with all the junk they buy they still make money because they have numbers on their side.

•••

- time
- a good portfolio
- large inventory

In most cases you need all three and it was not until I had almost 1000 domains that I started to get a decent sales rate. 10-20 domains in inventory will usually sit for a long long time unless they are specifically needed by someone.

The larger the inventory base the more sales you get. Huge domains is a prime example, with all the junk they buy they still make money because they have numbers on their side.

Wow, that is a lot of inventory. The yearly renewals must really add up though. Do you end up making a profit at all?

•••

A well thought out answer @MapleDots !

Is what you are arguing is that its only when you have a large enough base of decent names that firms will begin to see you as someone suitable to do business with, and with enough inventory that they will go to you when looking for a new domain name? Therefore not only the number of domains sold goes up, but also the proportional rate.

•••
Going by the numbers game is dangerous, in fact many domainers have built bloated portfolio of low quality domains. Thinking that they will increase their sales rate. They might increase the number of sales a bit (not guaranteed though), but the registration and renewal fees will eat up the profits.
The majority of domain portfolios are not sustainable. If you have say 100 domains you need to make at least $1000 in sales per year before you turn out a profit.
And domainers do not value their time. The amount of time devoted to research is considerable. If you had to charge the same amount of time in consultancy fees, we would be talking thousands. You would make more money flipping burgers.

As to Huge domains, I have not seen their books. I would not assume they are even profitable at this point. They may be well funded that is another story. You see, even Godaddy has been a non-profitable entity for many years. But with very few exceptions, domainers are not structured as real business ventures. They usually don't have detailed business plans, access to funding, accountants and the like.

My advice would be to maintain a small portfolio of quality domains, that you buy on the aftermarket or direct from owners. Do not dilute your disposable income across a big bunch of low quality names.
Scale up only when you have a proven business model.
Trying to grow too big too fast will usually result in a crash and depletion of limited resources.

•••
I'm sad to say these domains your registering are just based on hopeless speculation that someone somewhere will have the same "eureka moment" as you and suddenly want to buy them from you. I can't see any possible real world business need for these domains now or in the future. Sure, you might be lucky and flip one to a domainer, but your going to to end up wasting a lot of money buying domains like this in the hope of making any worthwhile end user sales.

•••
I'm sad to say these domains your registering are just based on hopeless speculation that someone somewhere will have the same "eureka moment" as you and suddenly want to buy them from you. I can't see any possible real world business need for these domains now or in the future. Sure, you might be lucky and flip one to a domainer, but your going to to end up wasting a lot of money buying domains like this in the hope of making any worthwhile end user sales.

I understand what you're saying, but it could be argued that all domains are purely speculative until the right buyer comes along. Isn't that what brandables are at the end of the day? Developing a creative name that could be one day turned into a business platform of some kind is wishful thinking and speculation. It's a very niche market overall. What is your advice on creating brandables?

•••
Going by the numbers game is dangerous

Remember my point #2

- time
- a good portfolio
- large inventory

It takes all 3 to work to the point where you can actually make a living

•••
I understand what you're saying, but it could be argued that all domains are purely speculative until the right buyer comes along. Isn't that what brandables are at the end of the day?
The thing is, some domains are better than others. Even among brandables. Some names are short and snappy and desirable, some are clumsy and of debatable value.
In general, people detest buying a domain at a premium, they will do so only if they must have it, or it aligns with their business plans. If they can find another domain of equivalent or better quality available for regfee, then they don't need yours.

So you need above average domains, not just average domains. The odds of a sale are correlated to domain quality.

•••
The thing is, some domains are better than others. Even among brandables. Some names are short and snappy and desirable, some are clumsy and of debatable value.
In general, people detest buying a domain at a premium, they will do so only if they must have it, or it aligns with their business plans. If they can find another domain of equivalent or better quality available for regfee, then they don't need yours.

So you need above average domains, not just average domains. The odds of a sale are correlated to domain quality.

That makes sense, but "quality" with domain names is very subjective. How does one define "quality" with regard to domains? What makes a domain above average or just average? I see many names that look and sound terrible, but have sold for thousands. There are many factors to consider though, and I know it's all about finding end users and doing a lot more research. Thanks for your input!

•••
Just had another name accepted at BrandPa. 2 in a row! BodCal and Fuzzlee

•••
So my confusion with BrandPa continues... they accept BodCal and Fuzzlee, but they decline Investney... I thought Investney was better than both of them because the keyword "invest" sells pretty well. My confusion only deepens with situations like this lol. Anyone have any feedback on this? Thanks in advance!

•••
A few more names that I thought of today.

PaySwoop.com
PetWaggle.com
VacayPlaces.com

Any thoughts? Brandable?

Thanks!

•••
I like your 2 Brandpa listed names. If you want to stick to brandables you can still hand reg no problem just try to stay with desireable keywords and shorter the better usually.

Investney is a bit awkward. Before you buy say it outloud. To get the best keywords you will have to go to auctions but if you are good at hunting every once in awhile you will come across unregistered gold.

Another way to know about what Brandables to buy watch the new names listed at the marketplaces to see what gets accepted.

Last edited:
•••
I like your 2 Brandpa listed names. If you want to stick to brandables you can still hand reg no problem just try to stay with desireable keywords and shorter the better usually.

Investney is a bit awkward. Before you buy say it outloud. To get the best keywords you will have to go to auctions but if you are good at hunting every once in awhile you will come across unregistered gold.

Another way to know about what Brandables to buy watch the new names listed at the marketplaces to see what gets accepted.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know that hand reg is not the best way to find great brandables or domains for resale, but I really enjoy the hunt. I truly love thinking of creative names. It's an odd sense of accomplishment when you hand reg a name that is accepted by a brandable site. It would be nice if it sold, but it's nice to know that research and patience pays off in the end with hand reg.

You're definitely right about saying names out loud. I've actually been doing that with my wife and friends. I'll talk about them out loud and the more you talk a out them, the more you come to hate or love them lol.

I tend to look at recent domains that have sold, hot keywords, and then looking at brandable sites to see what has been accepted.

I just had another domain listed on BrandPa. They finalized the logo today. "BodCal" I really like their design. Simple and sleek.

What are your thoughts on these names:

PaySwoop.com
PetWaggle.com
VacayPlaces.com

Thanks!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back