IT.COM

Alternatives to cPanel?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Sorry. I couldn't find any appropriate place to enter this question. If there is a more appropriate place for this, then feel free to move it.

I like the cPanel/WHM which comes bundled with my VPS, but probably use less then 10% of their features. I'm considering upgrading to a full server, but most server hosting comes with this as an extra. I don't want to pay out another $30-$35/month for this on a server. I'm wondering if there are any cheap/free alternatives? I don't mind giving up some, or even a lot, of functionality. It needs to run on a linux based server.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sorry. I couldn't find any appropriate place to enter this question. If there is a more appropriate place for this, then feel free to move it.

I like the cPanel/WHM which comes bundled with my VPS, but probably use less then 10% of their features. I'm considering upgrading to a full server, but most server hosting comes with this as an extra. I don't want to pay out another $30-$35/month for this on a server. I'm wondering if there are any cheap/free alternatives? I don't mind giving up some, or even a lot, of functionality. It needs to run on a linux based server.

http://alternativeto.net/software/webmin/

•••
Webmin is free but a bit bare, I think it's good for people who are already familiar with Linux administration.

I like Directadmin.
Plesk: too slow and bloated. It's the godaddy of control panels :xf.grin:

•••
•••
I'm not a fan of cPanel. Webmin is decent; I tend to use that if I need a GUI for some reason. It's more complete than cPanel, though the interface is definitely bare.

•••
I would check into using vestacp.com. This has decent features for it being free, especially if you don't need all the bells and whistles of cPanel.

•••
Check out Virtualmin. It is a free/opensource server management panel that works the same way as cPanel: Admin, Reseller, Client levels. Automated setup of websites, databases, and tools like phpMyAdmin... really nice for free software, in my opinion. We recommend it to clients asking this question. :)

•••
VestaCP, open source and next release will be a LEMP stack. It already has Apache / nginx out of the box, but as a proxy. Next release will have the option of nginx with PHP-FPM. Check it out.

2 command lines to install it.

vestacp.com

I'm waiting for the next release (1, a little late) for nginx only, then switching. However, with nginx as a backwards proxy and fastcgi, you will see results.

Open source so bugs and exploits are addressed quickly.

Setup for root, resellers and users without the bloat of all the others out there.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thank you very much. The most comprehensive list I've seen.

•••
I work with InterWorx and would highly recommend them. I think that they have as many, if not more, features than the other major control panels (cPanel, Plesk, or DirectAdmin). They were also just named the most secure web hosting control panel of 2013 by Rack911. I would love to hear what you think about InterWorx if you get a chance to take a look (they offer a free two week trial).

•••
Interworx has just an awful website. I couldn't find anything out about the software. No demo, no prices, no download. If this is how their Control Panel works, it's just really, really, awful.

Felix Delmonte said:
They were also just named the most secure web hosting control panel of 2013 by Rack911

Man, that's over a year ago.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back