IT.COM

Alter.com Marketplace

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Deven Patel

Founder, Alter.comEstablished Member
Impact
Hi all,

I wanted to introduce a new premium domain marketplace we just launched called Alter. I would love to hear your thoughts! As the world’s largest community of domainers, your feedback would be invaluable.

Let me introduce myself. Although I’m new to NamePros, I’ve been around the block. I’ve been buying and selling domains for my own startup ideas for over 20 years. As a serial entrepreneur, I founded a number of startups across various industries like marketing, web hosting, social networking, blogging, and SaaS. This experience has helped me understand how indispensable a brand name is to a business.

Most new entrepreneurs don’t think twice about their company name. Our goal is to change that! A brand name literally has the power to make or break their business. This is more true today than ever before now that there are countless alternatives to every product or service imaginable. Sure, every business may have their own world-changing differentiator but from the outside they all look the same at which point the main differentiator ends up becoming their brand name. In a world full of distractions, we no longer have the attention span to thoroughly research what we buy so we rely on our emotions. This is why large businesses like Apple and Amazon spend billions on their “brand” alone because they understand that customer perception is everything.

Anyway, I noticed that most marketplaces that exist today are focused more on the seller rather than the buyer. Our goal is to reverse the equation and prioritize buyers because I think they are the key to success in any industry. The domain industry is no exception. Without buyers, there’s no money. This is why we’ve made it our mission to help entrepreneurs succeed!

And what’s with the 30-35% commission rate most of these marketplaces are charging? Unless they’re doing more work than a human broker, I don’t think anything over the industry average of 15-20% is warranted. We’re changing that. Alter has one of the lowest rates in the industry, an all-inclusive 10% commission fee when a name sells. There are no other fees or restrictions.

What do you think? Are we on the right track or barking up the wrong tree?

Deven
This was a promoted post.

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree :) Writing a brand name in a pretty font does not make it a logo. If it did, anyone and everyone could call themselves logo designers and every startup would simply design their logo in MS Word instead of hiring a professional ;) While I do love the option to present standard domain names attractively in various fonts and I think it's a great feature to have, I don't think those automatically generated images should be called logos as such in order not to deceive buyers and not to cause them legal problems. They could be called .... a representative image that could be a place holder for your future logo or with some tweaks could become your logo. Alter could even offer a service at an affordable price to alter those "logos" to make them real wordmark logos since you have great logo designers on board.

While it's true that there are text-only logos (Quora, Coinbase, Box, Stripe etc.) but I think these are custom fonts. And I think most logos are not just text, but they include a graphic icon, too.

•••
**** checking out something, will repost****

Last edited:
•••
@Bob Hawkes domain redirection is probably cached in your browser. Permanent redirections (301) sometimes remain cached in the browser for a long time.
Try open your domain in "Private mode" and it should work.
cheers

•••
Thank you for the response! Now let's say someone who bought a standard domain name on Alter wants to trademark the wordmark logo that came with it. To my knowledge, they won't be able to do that if the font is not altered at all. When I worked in an advertising agency we were always required to alter the fonts for wordmark logos for this reason. Commercial license usually allows using the font/typeface as a basis for a wordmark logo (meaning it has to be altered) or exactly as it is for logos that have some kind of a symbol as their main element. At least that's what I was thought in design school and advertising agency :)

I think you're talking about two different things. Copyrights and trademarks. As I mentioned, there are no copyright issues with this because typefaces are not eligible for copyright. You can read more about this on Wikipedia.

Trademarks are a whole another story and much more complicated. We don't make any claims around the trademarkability of the logos just like the domain names themselves. Even the professionally designed logos fall into the same category. No brandable marketplace can give you that assurance because there is no economically feasible way to ensure the uniqueness of any of the logo elements beyond taking the designer's word for it.

If the buyer wants to trademark the logo or name, they would have to consult a trademark attorney and perform an extensive search. Though majority of businesses tend to only trademark the name, not the design, because it offers the widest amount of protection and because designs constantly change.

That said, keep in mind that majority of buyers never end up using these logos anyway because they have their own ideas on how they should look. They're only used by a small number of businesses as starter logos or placeholders until their business starts to take off. It's very rare for any company to keep using the same logo forever especially because trends are always changing.

In my opinion this shouldn't be treated like a standard wordmark logo, just an example placeholder text of some kind.

You're right, that's exactly what they are. The primary goal of these logos is to make the listings/landing pages more attractive and improve conversions. The only other benefit is that a small number of new businesses have something to use while they're starting up. They're nice to have but by no means absolutely necessary to sell a domain.

Writing a brand name in a pretty font does not make it a logo. If it did, anyone and everyone could call themselves logo designers and every startup would simply design their logo in MS Word instead of hiring a professional ;) While I do love the option to present standard domain names attractively in various fonts and I think it's a great feature to have, I don't think those automatically generated images should be called logos as such in order not to deceive buyers and not to cause them legal problems. They could be called .... a cool representative image that could be a place holder for your future logo or with some tweaks could become your logo. Alter could even offer a service at an affordable price to alter those "logos" to make them real wordmark logos since you have great logo designers on board.

I understand that designers may be offended by this but based on experience I can tell you that almost every new startup uses a basic logo created in Word/Photoshop because they can't afford to hire professional designers at that stage. Then if they're lucky enough to make it big, they'll upgrade their logos to something more customized.

See example of one of Coinbase's iterations in the early days below (it matches the font exactly):

coinbase-font.png

Also, here's an article about Google's logo history where the founders used a free image editor called GIMP to design the first Google logo.

While it's true that there are text-only logos (Quora, Coinbase, Box, Stripe etc.) but I think these are custom fonts. And I think most logos are not just text, but they include a graphic icon, too.

They're not always custom fonts (see Coinbase and Google examples above). As I mentioned above, startups often start with basic logos during the early stages without any customizations. And although most logos in the past have had an icon, text-only logos are now trending as companies are starting to focus more on simplicity.

•••
I don't think so, SH and BB have similar acceptance rates. 10% acceptance rate is not pickiness.

The other thing to consider is that not all submissions are the same. In the beginning our acceptance rate was closer to 15% because we received a lot of high quality submissions. In the last month or so, it dropped closer to 5% as the quality degraded. Our criteria remained pretty much the same.

My point is, numbers are exciting to look at and compare but they don't always tell the whole story.

•••
In case of non-premium names, I hope that your search algorithm will prioritize the better names, and you will only display the bad domains at the very end of the search results.

There are things you can check automatically, for example:
-.com extension is more valuable than others
-domain should be 15 characters or less
-no hyphens, no numbers
-domain age, older domains are generally better than newly registered ones
-if the domain is longer than 6 letters, then it should contain dictionary word(s)
-number of extensions taken, you can use the dotdb API for this
etc.

So I think you should write an AI algorithm which would score the non-premium domains, and prioritize better domains in the search results, and make sure to display shitty domains deep down.

Although the min. $499 price is a filter itself, but it doesn't prevent sellers from listing very bad domains.

Yup, for non-premiums we'll certainly try to improve the searches using a lot of the criteria you mentioned above. :)

Last edited:
•••
That's a great idea and we thought of doing just that. But since naming involves a lot of creativity, it's hard to automate everything. This is why we manually curate the premium names instead.

And you're right, for non-premiums we'll certainly try to improve the searches using a lot of the criteria you mentioned above. :)

I mean yes, curate the premium domain names manually, but then you could use an algorithm to score the non-premium domains, after you have rejected them as premium. As a basic example, domain with hyphens should be displayed lower than domains without hyphens etc.

So I referred to the non-premium domain names which were rejected as premium names. It is still important to prioritize the better names in the "non-premium" sections.

•••
@Deven Patel What I don't like about this new update is the fact that I will have to change my Nameservers first to alter before the names can be reviewed. I would want a situation where names can be reviewed without first pointing my names to your nameservers. It makes it stressful changing the nameservers to another marketplace if the names are not accepted for premium listing on your own marketplace.

•••
@Deven Patel please take a look at the Namecheap Logo Maker (just google it).

I tested it and I could quickly create surprisingly good-looking logos with just a few clicks for free.

I think you could design something similar for your logo generator and logo maker (although check the patents, I hope that this type of logo maker is not patented in the United States...).

It allows me to select the fonts, the font faces, colors, icons, and the colors of the icons, and the placement of the icons.

The end result is a relatively good-looking logo.

Last edited:
•••
I see the Alter banner here on Namepros - wow you are really serious about growing the marketplace. Deven Patel, the founder himself really cares about the success of both buyers and sellers, he responds to all messages and constantly keeps improving the platform. This is going to be big - Go Alter!

•••
@Deven Patel
First of all thanks for the dedication and commitment, A B testing is normal for a marketplace that is less than 1year old.

I have a couple of questions regarding the appraisal of domains that we are submitting in these days:

1) how long will it take you to evaluate if they can be upgraded to premium and are we supposed to receive a notification with the result of the appraisal?

2) in your evaluation, will you consider also the traffic (and likes) that standard domains are receiving during their first days of exposure? I have one of them that in just few days listing got more visits than any of the premiums i have in Alter(I got just 10). so i would be surprised if it is not upgraded.

thanks in advance !

•••
Hi
My question :
Is it possible to add parking domains to this promising market?! because we have some domains with Traffic in order to cover the costs of the renewal .

All Thanks @Alter Team@

Best Regards
Devanos

•••
Hi, Deven

First, let me compliment you on your outstanding customer service here. Your responses are patient and detailed.

Now, on the subject...

I'd suggest that Alter puts itself in investor shoes, not the other way around. Most investors have 10-200 names on a given platform. It would take them years of commitment to figure out if the platform is giving them an edge or not due to the rules of statistics. 100 names are normally expected to produce 1 sale, but it could be 0 it could be 2-3 in any given year. So they won't know if it was due to the efficiency of the platform or pure random luck.

Now, 5000 names, on the other hand, your data would be more representative and useful for those that haven't joined, like me.

I have refused to grow my portfolio with BB, BP and SH since they stopped publishing this data and won't join any new platform without this. I am getting around 1.5% STR with Afternic landers and my own and I need to be certain that a platform gives an investor considerably above that for me to be worth the trouble. And that is without factoring in the investor risk that a platform will start big and then decline like BB and SH with some investors reporting having 300-500 names and not having a single sale in months. I am in similar position as well, btw, with around 650 names on BB, BP, SH and just 2 small sales in about 7 months combined from those three. For comparison, Afternic has provided around 5 sales in that span on similar size sample (I have 9000+ with Afternic) with considerably less commission on each.

Thanks for the compliment! I completely agree with you and actually take pride in putting myself in others' shoes. This is exactly why I was transparent with our numbers (at least the ones I thought were useful). :)

I do understand your concern and am trying my best to help address it if you're willing to listen. Please realize that there's no simple answer that's going to help you determine which marketplace works best for you.

Let me explain. And please feel free to add your own thoughts based on our own experiences.

A/B Testing STR

My last company offered analytics software to 300,000+ marketers so I understand how valuable data can be. However, most of the metrics people look at are typically vanity metrics that make us feel good but don't actually help us make any useful decisions. Marketplace STR is a vanity metric.

A marketplace is essentially the sum of all seller portfolios listed on it. So if the quality of the names on marketplace A is higher than marketplace B, marketplace A will naturally have a higher STR compared to marketplace B. And that tells you absolutely nothing about how well your personal STR will be on either because the quality of your portfolio may be better or worse than the average quality of the names listed on that marketplace.

For instance, on Alter we have sellers who have STRs up to 20%. Does that mean every seller on our marketplace will have the same STR? Heck no! Most sellers will be nowhere near that range because sellers with super high STR typically own ultra premium names that cost thousands to acquire in the aftermarket.

The problem is that the rules of statistics aren't as applicable to domains as most people seem to think. There's no way to A/B test anything properly because there are way too many variables at play. Some of the those variables that impact STR include:
  • Name Uniqueness: Each name is unique in that a single change of letter could result in a completely different name with a whole different meaning and quality (e.g. "visa" is 100X better than "iisa").
  • Domain Price: Since there's no single formula that you can use to value domains they're priced all over the place. Naturally, a lower priced domain will sell quicker.
  • Listing Window: Trends are constantly changing in business every few months so what sells today may not sell tomorrow (i.e. you have yearly trends like holiday/tax/school/voting seasons, mixed with larger trends like pandemics/stock markets/healthcare/inflation, mixed with consumer trends like clean energy/healthy eating/remote work, mixed with increase in mobile usage/decrease in domain usage, etc, etc). All of these trends affect STR.
  • Portfolio Quality: As more and more names are sold, the quality of a portfolio naturally drops because again each domain is unique and over time all good domains are going to be sold out. This means the overall industry STR is always decreasing.
  • Marketing Budget: Every marketplace has a different marketing budget which isn't always consistent over time so your domains may get more exposure in January and less in February.
And these are just a few variables I thought of off the top of my head. There are plenty more. So unless you have a way to list the same name at the same price across different marketplaces at the same time, you will never be able to produce any conclusive results.

A/B testing by definition is a way to compare two versions of a single variable. Like if you were trying to determine the STR of the same model of headphones on Amazon vs Walmart. A/B testing doesn't work if you're trying to sell a headphone on Amazon and a heater on Walmart during the winter. Those are two different products, two different prices, two different time frames, that appeal to two different audiences.

The only way I can think of where an A/B test could theoretically work for domains is if you take a good sample size of names (at least a few thousand), list them for a year on different marketplaces at the same time using TXT record verification, not use any landing pages to prevent traffic leakage (i.e. the domains would forward nowhere when typed into the browser), and refund any sales that occur during that period to prevent portfolio quality from changing. That would get you very close but still won't be accurate because the experiment won't account for the varying marketing budget of each marketplace during that specific time frame.

My point being.. A/B testing domain STR across different marketplaces is an impossible task. Most marketplaces understand this which is why they don't try to compete on it. They focus on the features and benefits instead. But as humans, we want a simple answer to everything so we latch onto the easiest formula we can find (marketplace STR) even though it's wildly inaccurate (vanity metric).

Transparency

I'm not asking you to choose Alter blindly. We have been very transparent about how much traffic we're generating to your portfolio through our traffic breakdown chart that looks something like this (you can view the data at the portfolio level or at the individual domain level):
traffic-breakdown.png
Marketplace: Visitors learned about the domains from our marketplace.
Partners: Visitors learned about the domains via our partners (estimated).
Direct: Visitors learned about the domains by typing them in their browser.

Again, every seller's numbers will vary based on their own unique portfolio so I can't just give you an exact number in terms of how much you will benefit from our marketplace. But we do provide this tool to make that decision super easy. I haven't seen any other marketplace offer this data.

New Direction

I think a lot of sellers are looking at this all wrong so let me provide some more insight.

The whole point of the change was that running a brandable marketplace at 10% commission is very unprofitable especially with a small inventory. You can go back and check our numbers to see what I mean (we were operating at a major loss). And even at 30% commission it seems like our competitors aren't able to make it work which is probably why they keep increasing their own inventories to 100K+ names. It seems like every brandable marketplace eventually ends up at the same spot as we've seen countless times in the past (increase inventory to be profitable).

And I don't think these other brandable maketplaces are cash cows like a lot of people suspect. Why? Because during the last couple months we spent a considerable amount of money marketing on Google/Facebook/LinkedIn/Twitter/etc and noticed that the customer acquisition cost was wayy beyond $1,000+. That means it would cost way more than $1,000 to acquire a single customer who ends up buying a $2-3k domain. Of course, we don't know the exact CAC because of our very small sample size but my point is that it's super expensive to acquire customers through ads (it could cost $1k or even $10k to acquire a single customer). This is probably why they charge 30% and increase their inventories to 100K+ names (bigger inventory = more direct traffic = free advertising).

So rather than raising our commission to 30% and still having to increase our inventory like our competitors, we decided to take a different innovative approach that allows us to sell more at the same low commission as before.

Moving forward, think of Alter as a hybrid marketplace where you can list both brandable and non-brandable names at one low commission of 10% which is on par with what you would pay at other non-brandable marketplaces anyway. But with Alter you would be able to take advantage of all our additional benefits (i.e. our marketing, customer service, installment plans, logos, partner syndication, etc). These benefits apply to standard listings as well.

Let me repeat, both premium and standard domains receive the same benefits except that premium names appear higher in search results. Think of premium as the "Amazon's Choice" inventory on Amazon with a couple other minor benefits like professional logos and appraisals.

We've also seen sellers intentionally downgrade to standard because they didn't agree with our appraisal. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a different strategy that works for them. Our new approach works with that strategy while the old one wouldn't have.

Another reason we decided to do this is because we realized that quality is often subjective and there were plenty of instances where a name that we had declined sold elsewhere. On the other hand, there are names that we accepted that haven't sold yet. This new approach fixes that problem because sellers can list their names regardless of what we think of them based on what works for them. We simply surface the best of the best for a little extra exposure through premium.

With Alter, our goal has always been to be super efficient at everything and reinvest majority of the profit we generate back into marketing. In fact, while we were marketing our inventory on AdWords we noticed that there were only two other brandable marketplaces competing for the same ads (based on impression share). One spent a little more than us while another spent less. And surprisingly, we didn't see any non-brandable marketplace on that list. We might be the only marketplace that actually markets non-brandables.

Since we launched the marketplace last year I have invested thousands of dollars into the company and haven't taken a single dime out because I truly believe that this new direction we're taking is the future (i.e. pool everything together and let quality win with a little extra manual push via premiums).

Optimal Strategy

I'm sure everyone here would agree on one thing. That more quality exposure is always better regardless of how much it is. You never know if that one dude or dudette on marketplace X ends up falling in love with your domain even though that marketplace only brought in 1% of the overall traffic. In fact, we didn't receive a single inquiry from any of our partners over the last 3 months BUT just recently got a $20k lead from one of them. And keep in mind that our partners only generate about 3% of the traffic.

My point is, even an additional 1% of exposure could lead to a big sale. So instead of comparing different marketplaces against each other, why not optimize your strategy around maximum exposure instead by listing your names on all of them?

As I mentioned before, after spending thousands on marketing we noticed that 80-90% of buyers came directly through the landing page. These are also decided buyers that are already attached to the name so it doesn't matter which marketplace you use for the landing page as long as it's trustworthy (i.e. offers multiple support options, has decent reviews, and some social proof like media logos). For the rest of the 10-20% of buyers who don't come directly and are undecided about the name they want, it's just the matter of listing at as many other marketplaces as possible.

Our goal at Alter is to (1) provide a super trustworthy landing page and (2) drive as much quality traffic to it as we can at the lowest commission possible. So why not point your domains to Alter and list them everywhere else too? That way you pay the least amount possible for the most probably sales channels (direct + extra exposure through our marketing) and you still won't miss out on a potential sale elsewhere. :)

•••
@Deven Patel What I don't like about this new update is the fact that I will have to change my Nameservers first to alter before the names can be reviewed. I would want a situation where names can be reviewed without first pointing my names to your nameservers. It makes it stressful changing the nameservers to another marketplace if the names are not accepted for premium listing on your own marketplace.

I appreciate the feedback and totally understand. But I think you may have missed the point.

Moving forward, think of Alter as a hybrid marketplace where you can list both brandable and non-brandable names at one low commission of 10% which is on par with what you would pay at other non-brandable marketplaces anyway. But with Alter you would be able to take advantage of all our additional benefits (i.e. our marketing, customer service, installment plans, logos, partner syndication, etc).

Both premium and standard domains receive the same benefits except that premium names appear higher in search results. Think of premium as the "Amazon's Choice" inventory on Amazon with a couple other minor benefits like professional logos and appraisals.

So even if your name isn't eligible for premium, you still benefit more from listing it on Alter than anywhere else. :)

•••
@Deven Patel please take a look at the Namecheap Logo Maker (just google it).

I tested it and I could quickly create surprisingly good-looking logos with just a few clicks for free.

I think you could design something similar for your logo generator and logo maker (although check the patents, I hope that this type of logo maker is not patented in the United States...).

It allows me to select the fonts, the font faces, colors, icons, and the colors of the icons, and the placement of the icons.

The end result is a relatively good-looking logo.

Thanks for the suggestion! Yup, we will certainly consider adding icons in the future. For now, we just wanted to get something out there quickly.

•••
I see the Alter banner here on Namepros - wow you are really serious about growing the marketplace. Deven Patel, the founder himself really cares about the success of both buyers and sellers, he responds to all messages and constantly keeps improving the platform. This is going to be big - Go Alter!

Thanks a lot! We also market on Google/Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn/Quora/etc. Our plan is to reinvest majority of our profit back into marketing our inventory (both premium and standard).

•••
First of all thanks for the dedication and commitment

Thanks for the compliments! :)

A B testing is normal for a marketplace that is less than 1year old.

Marketplace STR is a vanity metric which is impossible to A/B test properly. See my reply above.

1) how long will it take you to evaluate if they can be upgraded to premium and are we supposed to receive a notification with the result of the appraisal?

There is no strict time frame but if you don't hear from us within the first week or so then it means your domain isn't eligible for premium. We will only send a notification if it is eligible. That said, our criteria could change in the future where we may still decide to make the domain eligible at a later point. So just because we passed the first time doesn't mean it won't ever be eligible.

2) in your evaluation, will you consider also the traffic (and likes) that standard domains are receiving during their first days of exposure? I have one of them that in just few days listing got more visits than any of the premiums i have in Alter(I got just 10). so i would be surprised if it is not upgraded.

Absolutely, but we've already seen people manipulate traffic and favorites so we can't completely reply on that data. We're looking to upgrade the best domains available on our marketplace. Ones that great products and companies can be built on. They're generally .com, short, catchy, memorable, easy to spell/pronounce, etc (e.g. Nool, Justify, Frolax, Riccan, Kissly, EverCanyon, FairFound).

Again, think of Alter as a hybrid marketplace moving forward where you can list both brandable and non-brandable names at one low commission of 10% which is on par with what you would pay at other non-brandable marketplaces anyway. But with Alter you would be able to take advantage of all our additional benefits (i.e. our marketing, customer service, installment plans, logos, partner syndication, etc).

Both premium and standard domains receive the same benefits except that premium names appear higher in search results. Think of premium as the "Amazon's Choice" inventory on Amazon with a couple other minor benefits like professional logos and appraisals.

So even if your name isn't eligible for premium, you still benefit more from listing it on Alter than anywhere else. :)

•••
Hi
My question :
Is it possible to add parking domains to this promising market?! because we have some domains with Traffic in order to cover the costs of the renewal .

All Thanks @Alter Team@

Best Regards
Devanos

Thank YOU for listing with us! :)

Right now we're laser focused on selling the names so don't plan on offering parking.

IMO, parking pages also add a lot of unnecessary distraction for buyers and generally don't produce much revenue nowadays as visitors are becoming more immune to advertising in general.

•••
Q: Do standard listings that are gaining favorites/higher CTRs than others receive increased ranking in search results and mixed in with the hand-picked premiums?

I ask because I notice if I search a keyword and it's a common word, it'll usually be several pages until the end of the line when the standard listings appear, and I'm seeing a lot of great names back there.

Last edited:
•••
Closely looking at what you have attracted as standard listings, I'm glad that you don't mix up premium listings and standard listings and had decided to keep them separate. Most standard listings are not even worth the reg fee in my opinion. So mixing them with premium names will hurt the marketplace.

On the other hand, I see some quality names still appear as standard names, without upgrading to a premium listing. This will definitely discourage the sellers will quality portfolios. What I still don't understand is how you are going to increase the size of the portfolio (quality names) by being too picky. I understand you can increase the numbers of domains you have with standerd listing and definitly it will increase the traffic, but do you realy think it will increase the sales, conversion?

If I were you, I will try to win some large brandable domain portfolio holders to list their names on my marketplace. If you want to win the race you need to have a LARGE portfolio of QUAILTY names. :)

I honestly like your marketplace, I believe you do better negosiations too. Your team is also very polite. I want you to win, not to lose. Good luck.

•••
I think Alter can try to accept premium listing submissions of other domain extensions, such as .net, .co, .io, .ai and new gTLDs because more and more startups also opt for these extensions. It can have better traffic and sales results as well as higher quality of domain inventory than the standard listing approach.

•••
Q: Do standard listings that are gaining favorites/higher CTRs than others receive increased ranking in search results and mixed in with the hand-picked premiums?

I ask because I notice if I search a keyword and it's a common word, it'll usually be several pages until the end of the line when the standard listings appear, and I'm seeing a lot of great names back there.

Yes, standard domains that are popular do appear higher in search results. But popularity is only used when two or more domains match the same search criteria. That said, premium domains will still be given a priority over them because they'll naturally be higher quality.

Can you please give me a couple examples of what you're referring to specifically or send them to support? Ultimately, we want to ensure that buyers see the best domains that match their criteria first regardless of whether they're standard or premium.

•••
@Deven Patel ,
1. Does Alter have the option to import leads and pay less the regular sales commission (e.g. like DAN - 5%)?
2. For standard listing, does one still need to point domain name servers to Alter's?
3. Standard listing and exclusivity, what's the current situation? I mean, can one list same domain on other marketplaces?

Last edited:
•••
I don't see many new premium domain names published in the last few days. But I see that thousands of standard domains have been published.

Are you still busy reviewing the standard domains?

•••
Closely looking at what you have attracted as standard listings, I'm glad that you don't mix up premium listings and standard listings and had decided to keep them separate. Most standard listings are not even worth the reg fee in my opinion. So mixing them with premium names will hurt the marketplace.

Exactly. So it seems like our new approach is working just as intended. :)

It's super hard to find quality names at other regular marketplaces. We're trying to change that with our manual curation process. However, as we all know quality is often subjective so there's no way we can cover all the bases. I mean every seller thinks they have quality names right? Otherwise, why would they invest in them? That's one of the reasons we decided to change our approach. See my post above for more insight into our decision.

On the other hand, I see some quality names still appear as standard names, without upgrading to a premium listing.

There are a couple reasons why quality names may still be listed as standard:
  1. Appraisal Disagreement: We've seen sellers intentionally downgrade to standard if they didn't agree with our appraisal. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a different strategy that works for them. In fact, I just learned that we had appraised a name at around $15k which the seller didn't agree with so they ended up listing it at another marketplace. And it sold for $40k! Though they had to pay more commission there. With our new approach, they could've still listed it with us and made more profit.
  2. Subjective Quality: As I mentioned above, quality is often subjective and there are plenty of instances where a name that we had declined in the past ended up selling elsewhere. On the other hand, there are names that we accepted that still haven't sold. Our new approach fixes that problem because sellers can list their names regardless of what we think of them based on what works for them. We simply surface the best of the best for a little extra exposure through premium.
This will definitely discourage the sellers will quality portfolios.

Not sure why it would discourage sellers with quality portfolios? Quality names will generally get upgraded to premium. But even if they don't (due to quality being subjective), quality names will naturally get more attention by buyers and that attention will result in them appearing higher in search results (even if they're standard). And the best part of it all is our 10% commission.

It seems like the problem is you're still thinking of Alter as just a brandable marketplace. Moving forward, think of Alter as a hybrid marketplace where you can list both brandable and non-brandable names at one low commission of 10% which is on par with what you would pay at other non-brandable marketplaces anyway. But with Alter you would be able to take advantage of all our additional benefits (i.e. our marketing, customer service, installment plans, logos, partner syndication, premium eligibility, etc).

Both premium and standard domains receive the same benefits except that premium names appear higher in search results. Think of premium as the "Amazon's Choice" inventory on Amazon. Just because a product isn't accepted as "Amazon's Choice" doesn't mean it's bad quality or won't sell. Another way to think of premium is the top X% of the names we have. Since it's a limited number, we can't accept everything.

What I still don't understand is how you are going to increase the size of the portfolio (quality names) by being too picky. I understand you can increase the numbers of domains you have with standerd listing and definitly it will increase the traffic, but do you realy think it will increase the sales, conversion?

I don't think we're being picky at all. What makes you think that? Could it be because your definition of quality is different than ours? That's exactly what we're trying to solve with the new approach. There's no way every seller will be happy with our definition. Some sellers may define quality as dictionary words only, others may define "SuperCoolEcommerceShoppingSite" as quality. Where do we draw the line?

With the new approach, we don't have to draw the line as sellers can still list their names as standard even if we don't agree with their definition of quality.

With standard listings, we'll be able to (1) generate more traffic and (2) sell more domains. Even if the STR of standard domains is lower than premium, a sale is a sale. And those additional sales will allow us to spend more on marketing the rest. In fact, we're already starting to receive inquiries for standard domains!

If I were you, I will try to win some large brandable domain portfolio holders to list their names on my marketplace. If you want to win the race you need to have a LARGE portfolio of QUAILTY names. :)

You're absolutely right. It would be great to have a large portfolio of quality names but we can't force people to list with us. You're assuming that sellers that own quality names already know about our marketplace. A lot of sellers aren't aware of Alter or aren't ready to switch yet. We've been fortunate enough to have a number of quality sellers list with us so far but that's nowhere near what we need to have a decent sized inventory. This new approach helps us grow faster without having to sacrifice quality.

I honestly like your marketplace, I believe you do better negosiations too. Your team is also very polite. I want you to win, not to lose. Good luck.

Thanks! Your support is much appreciated and your feedback is invaluable. Keep it coming. :)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back