IT.COM

advice Aged Domains?

NameSilo
Watch

CaptainThunder

Established Member
Impact
Hi-

I keep seeing in the requests forum that domains are more desirable when they are aged. I have two questions:
A. Why? Is this because of backlinks, etc? If a domain is good, why not consider it?
2. If I had reg’d an expired domain, does the buyer want the birth date, or the date I reg’d it?

-CT

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
an aged domain means it's been spidered by Google and other search engines. This allows it to be ranked. There is SEO benefit in being ranked. It helps to get you in the first page results.

To a domain investor. Every drop means the domain was no longer wanted by the old owner. This speaks to the value of the domain. Valuable domains rarely ever get dropped or deleted when it does. it usually means a strike to the quality of the domain.

Why?

because of the life cycle of a domain.

usually a dropped domain gets cherry picked by the Huge registrar with "experts" on their team.

The domains that expire that are GOOD usually end up going to auction.

once sold. The "clock" on the expired domain gets RESET and domain does not get deleted.

Plus that sale ends up on Namebio.

If the domain gets no bids? that's strike #2

the domain then goes to Closeouts. and if not bids there? strike #3.

if no bids after that? it finally is allowed to get deleted by the registry (because they can no longer make any extra money from it.)

but even then there is still an aftermarket for this domain in the dropcatch market.

There are people who don't want to bid on a domain at auction and would rather let it drop so they can pay $59 to get it for just $59 over at Dropcatch.

But even then there's a chance you can get screwed if say there is another Dropcatch user who paid for a dropcatch on the same expired domain some other user did too.

If this happens it goes to auction.

I never really understood the reasoning for people to do this because as stated before. a drop is bad for a domain.

why not bid on expired domain auctions instead and keep the value of the aging?

paying $59 on a domain that dropped? Some GD auctions start at $25!

anyways. This is why AGING is important.

unless you registered an exact match for a product and it's a single word? like say my

XRPLX in king.

you will be hard pressed to find a good registration. This is why domains get bought over and over again at auction.

although it's a big like playing hot potato. lol

best of luck.

•••
Thank you for the explanation. I sometimes buy expired domains on the day they expired. I look for domains that have back links, Alexa ranks, and if a dot com, active regs in dot net. Would a buyer want the history of such a domain, or would they only want the date I reg’d it?

•••
•••
So the domain still keeps its age if bought at closeouts? But loses being reported on NameBio?

Any benefit in being reported on Namebio for a domain to resell quicker / for more money??

Apologies for amateur questions :roll:

•••
If a name was sold in the past, it means people showed interest for it in the past, but is it still the case today? That's the question ;)

•••
an aged domain means it's been spidered by Google and other search engines. This allows it to be ranked. There is SEO benefit in being ranked. It helps to get you in the first page results.

what is considered aged? a year, 5 years or 10 years?
and if a domain was never used as a website, then how did it get spidered by google and other search engines?
also, any domain can get ranked for it's content, regardless to how "old" it is.

To a domain investor. Every drop means the domain was no longer wanted by the old owner. This speaks to the value of the domain. Valuable domains rarely ever get dropped or deleted when it does. it usually means a strike to the quality of the domain.

every drop does not mean that previous owner no longer wanted it
some names drop because owner forgot to renew or owner passed away
some companies drop domains because they don't realize any value in retaining them, even though the domain may have some inherent value.

also, valuable domains drop quite often, which is why the "backorder" business, has stayed in business, for so long.

imo...

•••
If a domain is good, why not consider it?

Yes, consider it

A good domain is a good domain...but they are not common at the drop. Sometimes humans and bots will miss a name...and you (at least I did/do) can spend a lot of time scouring the lists and hoping you are the lucky one to get the name as there are eyes from all over the world looking too.

This site is a great place to find a domain that an investor has decided to let go and they auction or bin for a really good price. If I could turn back time, I would have not spent those thousands of hours dealing with the drop and spent a fraction of that time here picking up some really decent/good names.

•••
In some rare cases, aged means good, as in the case of the domain having backlinks, however, in most cases, and I mean in most cases, domainers want age as a sort of superstition, no reasoning behind it, they just equate old with good.

As I have said on another thread, the majority of end-users don't care about the domain age.They just focus on the quality of the domain.

If Hotels.com drops tomorrow and you happen to catch it, the fact that the clock goes back to 0 does nothing to the value of the domain. It is still a top premium name, a multi-million dollar piece of virtual property.

After hundreds of end-user sales, I have had only two or three end-users asked me about age. The rest didn't bother to ask or didn't care.

•••
After hundreds of end-user sales, I have had only two or three end-users asked me about age. The rest didn't bother to ask or didn't care.

Or maybe they checked the age, and were happy with it :)

•••
There is a discussion on a large SEO forum about this and it really is a bit of a myth. Backlinks make sense but as far are priority for older domains in search engines well if you launch a new domain even gtld you will find it indexes and ranks just fine. I was always under the belief older was better but it really makes no difference content is what matters.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back