Dynadot

Afternic Parking...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
Any good?

All of my domains are currently pointing to Efty landers but I'm thinking of switching these over to Afternic.

Should I make the switch?

(The majority of my portfolio is now made of mostly UK names)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What's your goal to switch to Afternic?

Domain Selling or Domain Parking?

•••
•••
•••
Would make zero difference as far as domain landing traffic where you park your domains.

•••
Would make zero difference as far as domain landing traffic where you park your domains.

What about the ”household name” effect? Anyone seen a bump with the new ”Godaddy” Afternic landers?

•••
If you want to believe such things there’s nothing anyone will post here that matters.
It is not a requirement to park at Afternic to get into their premium network, this has nothing to do with it. Landing traffic is based on the name has absolutely nothing to do with where the URL is parked or hosted.

It would be a waste of time to move domains around parking them at different places to try to see where there is more traffic since it is impossible that parking or hosting a URL at one place versus another would affect landing traffic whatsoever. That would be like thinking that hosting my landing page at say Hostinger versus Hostgator versus GoDaddy or any other host would affect its traffic!

•••
Traffic is one thing, STR another. What are you saying? That it doesn’t matter for sales conversion (and price) if you are a respected, well known and qualified vendor or if you are the crook on the corner?

•••
If you want to buy into the need to pay same outfit for a landing page that’s your choice.

•••
Thanks for your contribution.

•••
If you want to buy into the need to pay same outfit for a landing page that’s your choice.
Agreed. I tried efty for a while but not great results. Sold only a couple of domains. I cancelled yesterday and moved to free parking at Afternic.

•••
While I agree that traffic is independent of your lander (as long as you have one :xf.wink:), I do not agree that which lander makes no difference. I would argue that some the following aspects of landers may matter to some potential customers.
  • Does it invoke trust in the transaction (i.e. either by the company name of information does it make me feel secure I will really get the domain name)?
  • Does it look professional and aesthetically pleasing?
  • Does it provide key information such as a buy it now price?
  • Does it easily allow me to make an offer below the BIN?
  • Does it tell me if I pay the BIN I can get the domain quickly and easily?
  • If I do want to contact someone does it provide a method to do so?
  • If I do want to talk to someone by phone, does it tell me how? (and ideally have someone online that can answer my questions in my language)
Of course at the extremes, a lander does not matter. No matter how wonderful the lander, a poor domain name will not sell, and conversely if someone wants exactly the name you have they will find it and buy it independent of a lander. But I think there is a middle ground, impulse domain purchases, domain purchases where they are open to various options, etc. where the lander does matter.

Just my opinion,

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Agreed. I tried efty for a while but not great results. Sold only a couple of domains. I cancelled yesterday and moved to free parking at Afternic.
Yeah, efty was almost dead. Dumped them. Wasted a lot of time parking there.

Last edited:
•••
Yeah, efty was almost dead. Dumped them.
Yes, for me, not worth the cost.

Besides, they usually share sales from their pages. None in a while that I have read.

•••
they usually share sales from their pages. None in a while that I have read.
Are you sure that is right? My understanding is that no sales are reported to NameBio from Efty unless the person who sells (or buys) reports them individually. Because really Efty is a vehicle, it is the person who is selling.

•••
Are you sure that is right? My understanding is that no sales are reported to NameBio from Efty unless the person who sells (or buys) reports them individually. Because really Efty is a vehicle, it is the person who is selling.
I do get what you are saying.

Usually via their blog. Last sale article was June of 2018.

I also follow NP completed sales thread. Zilch.

Last edited:
•••
While I agree that traffic is independent of your lander (as long as you have one :xf.wink:), I do not agree that which lander makes no difference. I would argue that some the following aspects of landers may matter to some potential customers.
  • Does it invoke trust in the transaction (i.e. either by the company name of information does it make me feel secure I will really get the domain name)?
  • Does it look professional and aesthetically pleasing?
  • Does it provide key information such as a buy it now price?
  • Does it easily allow me to make an offer below the BIN?
  • Does it tell me if I pay the BIN I can get the domain quickly and easily?
  • If I do want to contact someone does it provide a method to do so?
  • If I do want to talk to someone by phone, does it tell me how? (and ideally have someone online that can answer my questions in my language)
Of course at the extremes, a lander does not matter. No matter how wonderful the lander, a poor domain name will not sell, and conversely if someone wants exactly the name you have they will find it and buy it independent of a lander. But I think there is a middle ground, impulse domain purchases, domain purchases where they are open to various options, etc. where the lander does matter.

Just my opinion,

Bob

Very well said Bob and valid. Little doubt a good landing page with the features you listed can make a difference to varying degrees to some but not necessarily all potential buyers.

With that said, it's best to satisfy and cover every scenario and visitor.

P.S. The DAN.COM landers basically have all those benefits covered, imo, plus 2 more important things are online chat capability and https secure landing pages so visitors are less inclined to exit due to no padlock icon and non-secure browser warning.

Last edited:
•••
I am glad that you brought up https, which I overlooked, @namemarket - I totally agree that with Chrome dominating the browser market it is going to be critical to have https secure landers in order for some people not to refuse to go when they get the warning.

Does anyone know how the chat option on DAN (Undeveloped) works - I presume it is an automated chat bot, or is it a real person you get? I no longer have an active Efty membership, but I believe they offer chat option now as well?

I might also mention that landers can include things that may have a negative impact. For example, if you are selling a brandable name, showing it has a low Estibot and no links may hurt you from some potential buyers who may be deceived into thinking that is important.

I wonder about turning on the traffic feature on DAN landers. I currently have it on only when 100+ monthly visits. I think if someone sees that a name has say 25 visits in the past month they might be unimpressed not realizing that is the number of visits with no content on the page. It does not mean that when they have a real site they will get only 25 per month.

I had not thought about the importance of having 24x7 response with someone answering in your language until @Paul Nicks mentioned it in his keynote at NamesCon. I think for buyers who do want to talk to a real person about some aspect of the purchase, it is an advantage that Afternic (and Sedo) offer.

The best lander option may depend on the type (value) of name that you are selling, and also the sort of information you want. The choice for a mid $$$ BIN name may well be different from the optimum lander for a high $$$$$ premium name.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
...I wonder about turning on the traffic feature on DAN landers. I currently have it on only when 100+ monthly visits. I think if someone sees that a name has say 25 visits in the past month they might be unimpressed not realizing that is the number of visits with no content on the page. It does not mean that when they have a real site they will get only 25 per month.

That's an excellent point Bob and something I am not sure about having it on or off. It would be best if 100 visits number was user adjustable and could be done an a domain basis rather than applied to all names.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yes, for me, not worth the cost.

Besides, they usually share sales from their pages. None in a while that I have read.
I couldn't disagree more. My efty landers allow me to negotiate the sale and not pay commissions. I've paid over $2000 in commissions to Afternic this year. My efty has performed equally as well at a fraction of the cost. Not only that, on failed deals, I retain the potential customers contact info so that I can follow up at a later time.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back