IT.COM

advice Afternic NS3/NS4 vs. NS5/NS6

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Hi All,

I'm looking to change the DNS on all of the domains that I have available for sale to Afternic, but I wanted to get your thoughts/ experiences of Afternic nameservers NS3/NS4 and NS5/NS6?

I have all of my domain names on Afternic with Buy It Now pricing and Flooring pricing. I have heard some people recommend NS3/NS4 and other suggesting NS5/NS6.

Any thoughts, feedback and experiences would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

David

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Whatever way you decide to go check each and every listing after any changes and frequently in general. All their landers are glitchy, inconsistent and sometimes don’t resolve at all. Good Luck.

•••
What I don't like about 5/6 is that they show price in local currencies so in devalued currencies it shows big numbers

The problem with these big numbers is that they has put the currency symbol in a smaller font and it can pass unnoticed so some potential buyers may wrongly think it's in dollars and move on

The solutions would that be they let us choose US dollars or euros

•••
Hi All,

I'm looking to change the DNS on all of the domains that I have available for sale to Afternic, but I wanted to get your thoughts/ experiences of Afternic nameservers NS3/NS4 and NS5/NS6?

I have all of my domain names on Afternic with Buy It Now pricing and Flooring pricing. I have heard some people recommend NS3/NS4 and other suggesting NS5/NS6.

Thanks in advance.

David

Out of the two, if you have BIN prices already in place, the NS5/6 does have an advantage, especially if your domains are priced below $10,000.

•••
Thank you for all of the advice so far. Really appreciate it.

Any other advice and thoughts are welcome.

•••
Out of the two, if you have BIN prices already in place, the NS5/6 does have an advantage, especially if your domains are priced below $10,000.
@James Iles

Hi James,

Has Godady/Afternic shared data with you that shows NS5/6 perform better than NS3/4 if the domains are priced below $10,000?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Is this true? Below $10K does better on ns5/6, and over $10K does better on ns3/4 ?

•••

Any facts, data to support this? This is in direct contradiction with what Afternic/GD reps have told me. The cutoff is $2.5k or lower, not $10k.

•••
We can test nothing as it's not possible to know if sales comes from landers or not

•••
We can test nothing as it's not possible to know if sales comes from landers or not

Why is that relevant? Your concern should be the delta, the incremental revenue. So, if you want to test, just properly randomize the baskets and do simultaneous A/B test and see which basket does consistently better at which price points.

•••
Why is that relevant? Your concern should be the delta, the incremental revenue. So, if you want to test, just properly randomize the baskets and do simultaneous A/B test and see which basket does consistently better at which price points.
Afternic sales will fake results. For example if i make 80% of sales through afternic and 20% through landers.

Another question is what to count ? Number of sales or sales revenue ?

An AB test is possible but needs hundreds of sales to have a good result.

A test with dan landers is also needed and much easier, but with LTO enable it needs time...

Last edited:
•••
Any facts, data to support this? This is in direct contradiction with what Afternic/GD reps have told me. The cutoff is $2.5k or lower, not $10k.
This is what I thought as well. Since it would help Afternic/GD as much as would help us sellers, maybe someone there can get some stats for us?

•••
Hi

i only use ns1/ns2 for domains there and have had 5 figure sale and a few others in 4 figure range.

the nameserver shouldn't matter when it comes to prices and sales.

imo...

•••
Thanks for the insight on $2.5k. The $10k figure had an advantage for me when it came to BIN in the past, and what works for me may not necessarily work for you. What's interesting, though, is that NameFind (GoDaddy's portfolio) routinely adds BIN prices to domains in the 5 figure range - this works for them.

Data from Afternic on STR for BIN at different price points is a great idea. I'll see what I can provide in terms of data on this subject.

Talking of NameFind, I just published an article: https://www.godaddy.com/garage/domain-name-pricing/ - 499/999 price points had a positive effect on sales revenue, average sales price, and the number of sales.

•••
Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

David
Stick with ns5 and ns6 nameservers ,yesterday I wanted to buy a domain that I thought I could sell for 5k easily many many many endusers and hacks for this 15 years old domain ,and the domain was not priced. anyway I called the godaddy broker number and waited on hold, and waited on hold, and waited on hold, and waited on hold, and waited on hold, and waited on hold, and waited on hold, and so on for 23 min, on speaker phone,and gave up. thats why godaddy sales are sinking these domains roll into the general wait on hold for a ----ing hour godaddy pool ,in other words your sell thru rate is now a fraction of 2 percent ,time to roll these into a sav.com like program

Last edited:
•••
NS3 & NS4 have worked well for me so far when it comes to mid range and higher end TLDs. Also better if you have multiple domains listed as the broker can help negotiate a better suited deal for both parties.

5 & 6 are great for displaying cheap deals and domains that have a lower price to begin with, where you don't need any extra negotiations.

•••
NS3 & NS4 have worked well for me so far when it comes to mid range and higher end TLDs. Also better if you have multiple domains listed as the broker can help negotiate a better suited deal for both parties.

5 & 6 are great for displaying cheap deals and domains that have a lower price to begin with, where you don't need any extra negotiations.
What dollar amount do you typically use as a cutoff between ns5 and ns3?

•••
What dollar amount do you typically use as a cutoff between ns5 and ns3?
For me personally, between 1-1.5K but have had the most success under 1K.

I've found that anything more than 2K people tend to want to negotiate, get scared off because they think it's a firm price, or want to ask additional questions anyway.

•••
For me personally, between 1-1.5K but have had the most success under 1K.

I've found that anything more than 2K people tend to want to negotiate, get scared off because they think it's a firm price, or want to ask additional questions anyway.
Good info. Thank you.

•••
April has been great so far ☺️
3 sales / 7K in three days! I would say 3 & 4 and fast transfer do the trick mostly. I'm not a fan of 5&6 as it's too direct for the average customer. It also lacks anticipation which is critical in sales.
I think @twiki uses it. Not recommended if you aim for xxxx, but if you are a flipper or a discount domainer..
IMHO

Last edited:
•••
I want also know which ns better for parking with afternic? Means ns1/ns2 or ns3/ns4 ?

•••
Back