NameSilo

Afternic Is Awesome: They Honored When They Didn't Have To

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Jv1999

Hopeless Fighter: Desolate Knight of Exo TowersTop Member
Impact
Shoutout to @Joe Styler for helping me. He truly is there to help us all when it comes to GD.

So, tl;dr: One of my domains from netsol had expired and someone bought it on Afternic. Netsol was charging me $300 to recover the domain......... and the sale price was not greater than that after commission. So I explained it to the TA at afternic, and they said kind words and cancelled the sale.

I caught said domain when it dropped from netsol and immediately reggae'd at GD and listed on Afternic and informed the TA that I had it again -- if he could contact the buyer. They said something along the lines of, let's hope or something.

The problem is, 3 days later, GD refunded my registration payment and took the domain away... but they kept it registered at GD. Same timestamp at registration as when I registered it... so it's not like someone else got it.

Since the buyer didn't buy the domain, I figured it was a dodged bullet and didn't pursue the matter.

Now almost a year later, I was surprised to see the same Afternic listing sell. When I got the email, dread took over me. I knew it was a long shot -- thinking of all the GD threads. I honestly assumed GD would just keep the sale and say "too bad JV! You never had it!"

But I gave it a fighting shot. As they say in Eastern Europe, if you ask, you can only expect to get a yes. (Because you were already assuming No.) So I chatted with support who gave me the brief Whois history: it was registered to me the whole year, then only recently did it change hands (I assume was the buyer now).

So I PM'd Joe asking for help on the matter... and he researched it and got someone at Afternic/GD with authority to look over and help! I was surprised he even noticed my PM!

I think that same night, he PM'd me saying the domain was in my account, that it was a weird situation, and that I could go ahead and follow the normal Afternic push/transfer procedure.

The domain really was in my account! And a week later, it was transferred and I was paid!

I think that's really awesome! I have a different opinion of GD. As you can see, they didn't need to step in... they could've pocketed the money. But they paid me $339.90 for the sale of my geo even though they had already refunded the registration fees.

____

I mean from a legal lens, I'd say that on one hand they kept the domain registered, preventing me or anyone to register it. So it's like they registered the domain for themselves but under my name... so maybe that was a factor they considered.

But on the other hand, they informed me that they deleted the domain from my account, refunded me. So it wasn't mine at all... although it was still under my name...

___

Either way, thank you GD and Afternic, and especially Joe Styler! You guys rock!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back