IT.COM

question Adding years to boost sales

NameSilo
Watch

ruudbrowens

Established Member
Impact
How important is the expiration date in regards to buyers´motivation to grab a name?

From my pov if a good name is expiring in 15 years than the buyer is of course aware of it
that he can´t speculate on a drop soon.

So, grabbing till 2100 or what?

Your opinions please..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's important to add years special for premium names or domains like to much from personal portfolio

•••
Following, thanks for bringing this up Ruud

•••
I don't think it matters to end-users at all. Even the creation date is not that important to most buyers.

•••
I don't think it matters to end-users at all. Even the creation date is not that important to most buyers.
Not agree with you on both cases
I sold domains when i present to the buyer ( END buyer ) that the domain is old or push him when i say to him " Buy now or you have to wait until , at least 2025 under my ownership " 😉

So is important

Last edited:
•••
Not agree with you on both cases
I sold domains when i present to the buyer ( END buyer ) that the domain is old or push him when i say to him " Buy now or you have to wait until , at least 2025 under my ownership " 😉

So is important
Okay, different experiences. I think I have never once discussed expiration or first registration date with an end-user buyer.

•••
something like cadtank.com is 20 years old with quite good neighbourhood, without any SS, and some niche relevant backlinks. So eventually, people say Google likes old names and ranks them higher and faster when projecting new contents on it, than white paper domains registered for first time ever. So it could be simply one potential sale booster in addition to the added years, but I guess I know what you mean.. if a domain is great -- than the years don´t matter ;)

•••
Okay, different experiences. I think I have never once discussed expiration or first registration date with an end-user buyer.

I have in my mind 2 of my sales
Missile .eu - i renew until 2023 ( sold in 2021 ) & Loaned .us - say to buyer is a old one

•••
It's a negotiation advantage for the seller when his name have long exp. date. And a selling point for the domain name itself. Not for every domain of course. Also, it cuts off the total renewal cost in the long run. It can bring better results if you use it with the right way.

Last edited:
•••
A "motivational" description of a domain for sale like "You won´t witness a drop of that name in your life time, so buy from me at this BIN or get out of my sight"...... or... "I´ll renew that name each year till I die, so buy or die" don´t work that much I guess. Only numbers work, not empty promises. But which numbers?

Many stop to believe that they´ll sell a name and some don´t know they have grabbed gold for some bucks, so in both cases they drop to quick or sell ultra-low instead of speculating on a good sale in years to come. But, how many years?

A big portfolio would need a big wallet in pre-financing if we talk about 100 bucks per domain (10 years+). That´s a tightrope walk I guess. If it´s not a premium, that is registered for 2 years, then a potential buyer could be able to smell weakness and a potential drop in 2 years.
If grabbed for eternity on the another hand and having a lot of names in the folio you need a big wallet.

So one question is, how many years are enough to make enough pressure on the buyer? your experience please..

Dot.us has sold missile.eu with "2 years pressure"^^

•••
A "motivational" description of a domain for sale like "You won´t witness a drop of that name in your life time, so buy from me at this BIN or get out of my sight"...... or... "I´ll renew that name each year till I die, so buy or die" don´t work that much I guess. Only numbers work, not empty promises. But which numbers?

Many stop to believe that they´ll sell a name and some don´t know they have grabbed gold for some bucks, so in both cases they drop to quick or sell ultra-low instead of speculating on a good sale in years to come. But, how many years?

A big portfolio would need a big wallet in pre-financing if we talk about 100 bucks per domain (10 years+). That´s a tightrope walk I guess. If it´s not a premium, that is registered for 2 years, then a potential buyer could be able to smell weakness and a potential drop in 2 years.
If grabbed for eternity on the another hand and having a lot of names in the folio you need a big wallet.

So one question is, how many years are enough to make enough pressure on the buyer? your experience please..

Dot.us has sold missile.eu with "2 years pressure"^^

I have in my portfolio a domain that expire in 2030
If i will not die until 2030 maybe i will sell it & if i die potential buyer need to wait a long long long time 😂

I have alos names that i dont care if i sell or not ..they are my heart like internetul .com etc..so renew all time

•••
I have in my portfolio a domain that expire in 2030
If i will not die until 2030 maybe i will sell it & if i die potential buyer need to wait a long long long time 😂

I have alos names that i dont care if i sell or not ..they are my heart like internetul .com etc..so renew all time
Lol :)
an advice: you should say you´re 20 years old and very vital^^

•••
•••
It is relevant to a degree.

People will check the expiry and if it's within a few months they may hang out for an expiry auction rather than submit an offer.

But often those same people are only willing to pay a few hundred for the domain so when they do come knocking it's not a dream sale anyway.

•••
I forget.. if you add new years to a domain you already have registered, will it have a new 60 day lock that will prevent you from transferring it out? Also lets say I do it for the max years, which is 10, how would the person transfer if they buyer cant add new years? Or does that not matter. Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The only long regged domains I own are some new gtlds where the registry have offered steep discounts for long registration periods, plus a handful of domains which are not for sale. I have NEVER discussed either the date of registration or the date of expiry for ANY domain inquiry. I think the date of registration is pretty meaningless, and the date of expiry is basically not significant to affect the price.

•••
You can add years all you want but it has zero bearing on if your name will sell from my experience. You should add years because you believe in the name for the long haul not as a selling tactic.

•••
"Stupid" endusers may not check expirations, but probably "smart" agents do.

•••
if you add new years to a domain you already have registered, will it have a new 60 day lock that will prevent you from transferring it out?

The 60 day lock won't apply if you renew for additional years at the same registrar.

Also lets say I do it for the max years, which is 10, how would the person transfer if they buyer cant add new years?

The domain can still be transferred to another registrar but no additional year will be added. The best thing to do in this situation is to go for a push

•••
The 60 day lock won't apply if you renew for additional years at the same registrar.

The domain can still be transferred to another registrar but no additional year will be added. The best thing to do in this situation is to go for a push
I agree with FolioTeam, a push is a matter of seconds, years will be transferred. But you have to receive your money first :) don´t forget about your $$$, a push is like transfering all rights to a new registrant.

•••
The only long regged domains I own are some new gtlds where the registry have offered steep discounts for long registration periods, plus a handful of domains which are not for sale. I have NEVER discussed either the date of registration or the date of expiry for ANY domain inquiry. I think the date of registration is pretty meaningless, and the date of expiry is basically not significant to affect the price.
So you rather renew and renew if you don´t get a sale within a year right? I mean your names for sale only, that you believe in, to get a good sale one day.

Btw, I too would never "discuss" registration or expiration dates, since it´s not "discutable"^^
It could be simply a methode to create extra pressure on a buyer, that´s why it´s quite interesting which importance it has according to successfull sellers.

And last but not least, I guess if we talk about premiums, most are grabbed like 20+ years ago and transferred again and again, but the creation date is still the old one, so there is no need to "discuss" anything. But most of folks don´t have urgently premiums to sell, if they would have, the question about "expiration date pressure" would be completely obsolete.

•••
I read stories all the time about domains being bought on Afternic right before and after they renew. So I guess the question is, when was that buyer first looking at the name. I haven't heard anyone mentioning any tools that show major price drops on domains. So I guess someone has to make note of when yourname.com expires and remembers to check a few weeks before the name is set to expire and snag your newly discounted name. And then if you renew for another year, they just decide to pay retail...so perhaps if right off the bat, your domain was registered for 3 years, they'd pay retail sooner instead of waiting for you to renew that first round?

You could calculate which percent of your sales happen right around your renewal date and if it seems like thats when you make the most BIN sales, then maybe it would help.

I've registered a few names for multiple years because I felt pretty strongly about them. I'll even do it for a $.99 xyz domain where I'll pay $6.99 for 2 years at Dynadot right off the bat because I'm cool to hold it and whether I turn $.99 into $300-1k or $6.99 into $300-1k, it's not a big part of my bottom line. But then again, I've done that for maybe a dozen domains at most. With 500-600, I can see how that would greatly increase your costs.

•••
If we were to assume that the potential buyer is educated enough to check expiration date, yet uneducated enough to know that the name goes through a lengthy process before it's actually available for registration - then it is possible that expiration date could have some influence on their decision process. From my own past experience as a buyer, I can say that this type of thinking only applied to names that were expiring within that month or two. I'd assume most businesses want the name now, not months later. So if they're in that sweet spot of knowledge, and your domain is expiring within a month or two, it would be advantageous to renew it. But without being in the buyer's shoes or doing some real experiments, it's impossible to know. None the less, an interesting detail to bring to light. Thanks

Last edited:
•••
If they are checking the expiration date and hoping it drops, they probably aren't willing to pay a high amount anyway. So unless you are selling domains for a few hundred dollars I don't think it will affect a serious buyer's decision as they would want to take the domain ASAP.

•••
I try to keep expirations 1+ year ahead. In my opinion something between 18 and 36 months is the optimum. Approx. 2 years is a long time to wait for most of the potential buyers. Waiting is not the only one point, it's also a sign of the value. If the domain is crap, its owner wouldn't invest in its renewals.

•••
Back