Dynadot

question Adding years to boost sales

NameSilo
Watch

ruudbrowens

Established Member
Impact
How important is the expiration date in regards to buyers´motivation to grab a name?

From my pov if a good name is expiring in 15 years than the buyer is of course aware of it
that he can´t speculate on a drop soon.

So, grabbing till 2100 or what?

Your opinions please..

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Add a year or two on every enquiry. The longer the expiry the less likely they feel to wait you out.

•••
Approx. 2 years is a long time to wait for most of the potential buyers
Makes sense. A new brand needs a best matched brand name when it kick-offs, and not in 2 years. Experienced 2-word .com or good .io hunters also don´t wait 2-3 years and look if something´s dropped. We also shouldn´t forget within the discussion, If it´s a good name, then the buyer knows it, and the buyer knows that the seller knows it too. If not, there won´t be a deal anyway. And by all means, who drops "good names"? probably dead people who couldn´t renew, or noobs dropping unknowingly. And who grabs "good names"? potential sellers with some knowledge. Hence, I tend to agree, 2-3 years could be quite a good base for good and saleable names. Then looking how´s the market doing and renewing those we have still faith in.

And if it´s a premium?
Could be a strong signal to the buyer in regards to the end price. Your tought?

•••
Add a year or two on every enquiry. The longer the expiry the less likely they feel to wait you out.
Many years ago, I was waiting in abmush on expired names at 4-5 timeframes a day, you know each
tld has it´s own daily droping-times. What can I say? one thought was an eventual dead of a domainer
who didn´t renew a gold name XD:-D Yes, yes, I was wicked! but let´s be clear, also very naive.
Nobody drops good names and nobody drops any names without a reason, and no domainer dies with a
great folio on hand (if, than mostly with a poor one:). So "waiting out" doesn´t work all along.
Only for poor names.

•••
I think having a domain reg'd at least 2-3 years out is the best way to go about it, the new owner can always add years later. The name itself is 1000x more important than how much renewal time is left on it.

•••
Many years ago, I was waiting in abmush on expired names at 4-5 timeframes a day, you know each
tld has it´s own daily droping-times. What can I say? one thought was an eventual dead of a domainer
who didn´t renew a gold name XD:-D Yes, yes, I was wicked! but let´s be clear, also very naive.
Nobody drops good names and nobody drops any names without a reason, and no domainer dies with a
great folio on hand (if, than mostly with a poor one:). So "waiting out" doesn´t work all along.
Only for poor names.
This week waited out and registered webmasterexpo and the name before webmasterevents.

•••
This week waited out and registered webmasterexpo and the name before webmasterevents.
I mean the real good names ;) hence the LLL ^^

•••
On the other side of this, is that renewing names for extra 1-2 years on a large portfolio (let's say 1,000 names) can be an additional cost of $8,000 - $20,000. Unless all those 1,000 names are keepers that you plan on keeping until the day you die, you may be throwing out some of this money. You may sell this name to another seller, you may drop them, you may sell them. In each of the instances you are unlikely to make this money back. So by renewing them just "in case" that the buyer may check whois and may want to wait, you are guaranteed to lose money. On the other hand, you are not guaranteed to make this money by adding 1 or 100 years to your domain.

•••
Makes sense. A new brand needs a best matched brand name when it kick-offs, and not in 2 years. Experienced 2-word .com or good .io hunters also don´t wait 2-3 years and look if something´s dropped. We also shouldn´t forget within the discussion, If it´s a good name, then the buyer knows it, and the buyer knows that the seller knows it too. If not, there won´t be a deal anyway. And by all means, who drops "good names"? probably dead people who couldn´t renew, or noobs dropping unknowingly. And who grabs "good names"? potential sellers with some knowledge. Hence, I tend to agree, 2-3 years could be quite a good base for good and saleable names. Then looking how´s the market doing and renewing those we have still faith in.

And if it´s a premium?
Could be a strong signal to the buyer in regards to the end price. Your tought?

If it's premium I would renew for 10 years ahead which is the max allowed period. Currently 10 yr renewal will cost around only $100 or less. Whether the domain is worth $100 investment or not, is a good sign of its quality in the eyes of its owner. Expiration date is a good sign of quality but it's not perfectly reliable. However it's highly reliable and useful for estimating hidden asking price, in case the domain is listed without BIN price and negotiations are inevitable.

For example, assume you are interested to buy a domain with no price. One of the first things should be checking its expiration date before making an offer. Assume you made an offer and you received a counter offer or your offer got rejected. In such a situation, expiration date will be very helpful to determine how to react to possible counter offers and rejections.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back