Domain Empire

advice Best way to sell a domain that shares the name of an existing company?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jdq

Impact
Backstory:
In 2010 I purchased the domain ShopPad.com to use for a project. In 2012 a company launched (ShopPad Inc.) using the domain theShopPad.com. As of today, the company still exists. In 2016, I was ready to launch my project but asked here on namePros (don't have ability to post a link) if anyone had opinions if I would have problems legally using the same name. In the end, I decided to just use a different domain and name because I didn't want to compete in search engines and social media for the name.

Question:
I have decided I probably won't end up using the domain. What is the best way to sell this domain as it shares the name of an existing company? Is there something legally I should be aware of? There doesn't appear to be a registered trademark in the US for the word "shoppad" and since I owned the domain for years before the company existed, I'm pretty sure I can use it for whatever I want, but can someone else?

Forgot to mention, about 5 years ago I emailed the CEO to ask if he was interested, but I thought the $2k max he offered was too little and declined.

Any opinions, comments, or insights are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think in general if you do outbound you will receive lower offers. But not sure what else you can do if they already gave you their max price and you are not happy with it.

You could try a brokerage service I guess, they may be able to educate them on the value of the domain. Otherwise might just need to look for a different buyer.

It's also possible that they just can't afford any more than that even if they see the value in it. Looking at their socials they don't seem to be very big but hard to say without more info.

sp.png
shpi.png

shpi.png

Last edited:
•••
I heard some tips to contact Marketing Dept, if CEO busy

Last edited:
•••
Since you can't do much with the domain name yourself, you should have accepted their offer and moved on to other things.

•••
I certainly like the domain. As internet shopping evolves with interactions probably still in the Brain-storming stage. I wouldn't be afraid to keep this one with another 5 year outlook to a sale. I've done lots of successful outbound over the years and I agree it can be difficult to get prices above of 2 to3k. The potential buyer just imagines a seller in need of a sale.

I'm going to reiterate Hold-it, keep the price-up at around the 5K mark and don't sweat on it. I accept you've held it for 13 years but sometimes it takes that sort of time for the market to move towards a domain and not the other way around.

You've got one of the best key words around and it's paired with a nice short concept word. These domains sell. But, I accept the wait can be frustrating. Imaging the walk-around electronic shop assistant directly linked to the stores inventory. Yep they are already out there. No rails of clothes - just one of everything on a professional display. I could go on and on with matching concepts. Sooner or later your original interest may even return.

Even for the single above idea, every store or store group will want it's own App or device

Last edited:
•••
I think in discussions you could bring up the GoDaddy estimated value which is around 5k. That would probably help with that particular buyer. You could also point it to a Dan lander with a lease to own option. It also looks like there may be some more Chinese buyers. The .cn is taken along with ishoppad.net

Last edited:
•••
It's worth more than $2k. I would put a buy now price that you're comfortable with, renew for 5-10 years and work on other projects. When you reach out to potential end users you always have less leverage than if they contact you first. Just set the price and be patient, that's the name of the domain game.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back