Dynadot

discuss About person (domain) names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nomen

Top Member
Impact
I was reading @AbdulBasit.com and a couple of times he mentions that he's fond of person name domain names, first names, last names, and even common combinations. Anyone else feeling the same?

Every day there's at least a couple of last names (various major languages) that I'm able to recognize (for reg fee) and some of them have loads of linkedin profiles and whatnot. I've been hesitant to register them (no clear reason) but I'm starting to warm up to the idea.

Does anyone have any ethical/moral issues with it? Because I'm myself still little uncomfortable reggin' them on a larger scale. They are tempting, though...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I personally love name domains.

What is your ethical problem with having many of them? Curious.

And I'm not sure many of the good ones are available for "reggin' them on a larger scale". You'll have to buy them on the secondary market or at expired auctions.

•••
@Beezy Okay, "reggin' them on a larger scale" wasn't entirely accurate :) Reggin' them "freely" was what I meant. I don't have any ethical problem with it. Just feels a little odd, not sure why. I'll get over it.

On a daily basis there's at least 1 last name or first name or combo that has several pages of linkedin profiles and search volume in the hundreds. Would you reg those kind of names? As said, various languages. Not sure where I should set the bar when it comes to raw stats and numbers.

•••
Hi Nomen,

Let me tell you something before you start buying person names.

First up, when looking for an idea how many people are there at LinkedIn, make sure to use " " while searching the name. Let's say you are looking for Melissa Lee and while doing simple search will show you 1,162 people. But when you do search like "Melissa Lee" you will see 990 people over there. This shows exact result and make things easier for you to decide.

Secondly, I have been buying lots of first, last and mix names but after going through lot of learning process, I have found that selling female names are difficult to sell compare to male names.

Let me know if someone agree or disagree with me :)

Thanks
AbdulBasit Makrani

•••
I don't know if the new GTLD's will destroy the value, either.

FirstnameLastname.lawyer vs. paying domainer prices for a .com.

Definitely something to keep an eye on.

•••
I don't know if the new GTLD's will destroy the value, either.

FirstnameLastname.lawyer vs. paying domainer prices for a .com.

Definitely something to keep an eye on.

That's my reasoning, too.

•••
Secondly, I have been buying lots of first, last and mix names but after going through lot of learning process, I have found that selling female names are difficult to sell compare to male names.

I would have thought the other way round... Thanks for the insights!

•••
Definitely great tips when it comes to purchasing Name Domains. That is a pretty interesting fact that the guy names tend to sell more than the female name domains. I believe a huge factor is the popularity of the person and the rise to fame aspect if they are unknown still but getting there.

You definitely have to watch out for trademarks though because in the end you don't want to get something that can be taken away from you easily due to trademarks. So do your due diligence before finalizing a purchase.

-Will

•••
I don't know what abdul sells his person names for, but I have found generally, that people a tight-fisted about paying a lot of money ($1k+) to buy their name as a domain. Maybe he knows richer people than me :)

Last edited:
•••
I don't know what abdul sells his person names for, but I have found generally, that people a tight-fisted about paying a lot of money ($1k+) to buy their name as a domain. Maybe he knows richer people than me :)

LOL @ Maybe he knows richer people than me :D

I wish I know such rich people yeah... Well, coming to the point... even people with male names tend to pay very less and it's quite difficult to sell person names compare to products/services/brandable names. Most of those people are buying for personal use and are having very limited budget. I had some success in selling person names and always try to buy 1 and 2 word names. When going for 2 word name, if I am able to find over 500 people at LinkedIn, I go after it depending on the name.

As Willox mentioned, make sure to you do your due diligence before buying any domain as the name might have TM issue like buying any popular star, personality name would get into trouble so stay away from such names.

One can also buy first and/or last name and start selling email addresses on that domain in order to generate some extra money and forget that domain to sell because once you start selling email IDs you have some consistent revenue every month so no need to sell off your chicken giving you golden eggs all time.

•••
Personally I would recommend to avoid buying a bulk inventory of names.
You may start with 10-25 names that you can find lots of them at linkedin.com for instance "Michael Angelo" showing 33,000 results roughly.
site:linkedin.com "michael angelo"

•••
Off-topic:

@Willox Perez Just realized you're from those omarandwill.com videos! Wacky characters, good energy! Keep it up!

•••
•••
Personally I would recommend to avoid buying a bulk inventory of names.
You may start with 10-25 names that you can find lots of them at linkedin.com for instance "Michael Angelo" showing 33,000 results roughly.
site:linkedin.com "michael angelo"

But I see 1,280 results for "Michael Angelo" while doing search for this name at LinkedIn. Where do you see 33k?

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back