Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jberryhill

Top Member
John Berryhill, Ph.d., Esq.
Impact
IMG_6677.jpg

IMG_6678.jpg

So, some idiot paid $800 for this domain name, made a custom banner to advertise it in specific association with the movie franchise, and thinks someone is going to pay $100k for it?

If this is something that strikes you as a good idea then, please, get out of domaining immediately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danjaq

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I will say - every domain purchase above and beyond the registration fee looks foolish to many.

Not advocating for this particular attempt to flip, but the fact is domain names are intangible by their nature and only as valuable as one's ability to find at least one other person willing to invest in whatever name you hold - at a price greater than whatever you paid for it.

Also agree with sentiment that name calling and negativity are just a drag, and no way to create an atmosphere of leadership and mentoring.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Show attachment 163550

Show attachment 163551

So, some idiot paid $800 for this domain name, made a custom banner to advertise it in specific association with the movie franchise, and thinks someone is going to pay $100k for it?

If this is something that strikes you as a good idea then, please, get out of domaining immediately.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danjaq
Some people are called James Bond in real life. They are not fictional characters. It's a name.

And could be for an informational site about the real James Bond... Hollywood doesn't own his history.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-47977220

Last edited:
•••
Easy win for Danjaq LLC. If they can force someone to change their incorporated company name then they will have no problem with forcing the owner of the name to give up the domain under trademark infringement. The banner says it all. Might be a bit harsh calling him an idiot though, he might just be new to the game and ignorant to the rules and risks.

Danjaq LLC v. James Bond Ltd[edit]
On 13 July 2009 Danjaq applied under s.69(1)(b) of the Companies Act 2006 for a change of name of James Bond Ltd, which had been registered since 12 June 2009. James Bond Ltd was ordered by the adjudicator at the Company Names Tribunal to change its name and to not register another company with an offending name. The respondent was also ordered to contribute toward Danjaq's costs.[9]

Last edited:
•••
•••
Maybe offtopic, but this discussion got me wondering under what common legal conditions could a James Bond podcast operate on a Bond related domain? e.g. with explicit consent of the James Bond IP holder, or, as a not for profit fan site, etc...

Take Bond Jam for example...
I don't think they have a domain name. Just a YouTube/Spotify Channel from what I can see.

Legally, would the podcast creators be allowed to take on paid sponsorships, or youtube ads under a BondJam domain/brand discussing James Bond content (without the explicit consent of the James Bond IP holder)?

Does the answer vary depending on the TLD chosen by Bond Jam? e.g.

a) BondJam.com
b) BondJam.es
c) BondJam.Bond

Last edited:
•••
As I have said before there might have been certain agreements (or understandings) between the parties involved that we don't know about and as such we should wait to learn all the facts before jumping into any conclusions.

I find it hard to believe that a Registry would advertise a domain related to a known TM on NamePros and then sell it on Sedo without having some reassurances that what they were doing was not going to get them into any trouble.

IMO

Last edited:
•••
If it was a TM infringement, SEDO will not list the domain names !

They detect and filter automatically TM domain names, in my case I wanted to list (Youtubeauty/com) ... it was rejected because of Youtube TM.

NamePros, SEDO, Registrar involved and they all know about basics TM infrigements IMO.

Last edited:
•••
I think Glue.Bond will be a match winner 😅

•••
Last edited:
•••
I said this once before many years ago but I feel the need to repeat it again:

"Anyone who likes lawyers never met J Berryhill"

That's funny, because I had quite the opposite experience. I hadn't had much faith in domain lawyers until I started reading @jberryhill.

Without the steady/educational hand of intelligent members such as @jberryhill, I fear The Great Dumbing Down could have been/could be much worse.

Last edited:
•••
J Berryhill must be thrilled to be endorsed by Black Lives Matter. It is too bad Charles Manson has died or he could have gotten two endorsements.

•••
J Berryhill must be thrilled to be endorsed by Black Lives Matter. It is too bad Charles Manson has died or he could have gotten two endorsements.

Hi
can you elaborate, please

on how an endorsement by a group, affects the issue, at hand?

Thanks

imo...

•••
I guess he took a stab. We all saw Binance.Exchange sell for five figs.

There are people who love 007, the franchise, so much that they'd create a fan site under James.Bond. Not sure if they'd pay $100k though. I mean, unless they were planning on monetizing it with James Bond apparel?

•••
We all saw Binance.Exchange sell for five figs.

Hi

and who would spend 5 figs for it, just put up a ppc page?

looks like a "wash" to me

imo..

•••
Some of the sales look suspect. Will getting all domain names trx on blockchain help?

•••
Life's rich pageant!

Would it be boring if everyone had the same intelligence level, and never made a mistake?

Regardless of intelligence level, we all end up under the sod before long.

•••
It's real James Bond a famous character.

•••
People needs to learn from the expert like Adam Dicker. Only buy and sell names that you have expertise.
He bought and sold AssHoles.com
This is how you should do it. Dicker is an expert in AssHoles
And elephants.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back