NameSilo

Abject Stupidity

Located in Legal Discussion, started by jberryhill, Aug 11, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. barman

barman Top Contributor VIP

This entire thread is a grim reminder of why I hate this place. The lot of you yelling "iTs nOt A tRaDeMArk!!" I'm surprised ya'll even manage to get your pants on correctly in the mornings.

Shortdot needs to change their name to Shortbus because they run some of the most god awful nGTLDs I've ever seen.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. bulkdomainz

bulkdomainz Established Member

Many trademark names have been sold. Owner might not get $100k for it but everyone's a winner as long as the reg costs are covered and the interested trademark owner gets the name.

3. bulkdomainz

It's a First Name domain on an extension that turns it to a hack! 😂 Nothing special about it, and the purported trademark owner might not be interested in it anyway.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  4. bulkdomainz

This is what they will do. They'd reserve it (as premium) and make 'James Bond' pay for it, if 'James Bond' wants it.

5. oldtimer

oldtimer Do some good for humanity and the environment VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

If you hate this place it should be because of the kind of unprofessional language that is being used by some of the members here and not because of those who are expressing an opposing opinion that perhaps you don't agree with.

Nobody is saying that there is not a Trademark involved here, it's just that there might be some kind of an arrangement in place that we might not know about, you know that you can use a name that is TM if you obtain prior permission and or have the consent of the TM holder.

A person can present a logical argument regardless of their personal status, and the reverse is true too as those whom we think very highly of can behave very unprofessionally as shown in this thread.

That's an awful thing to say, you are passing judgment before knowing all the facts. If the registry has the consent of the TM holder and is just trying to promote one of their gTLDs then they shouldn't be condemned or be put down for it.

As I have already said let's find out all the facts about this case before passing any judgments and let's allow everyone to express their opinion in a civil manner even if they have an opposing opinion that perhaps we don't agree with.

IMO

6. sircc

sircc Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

It's a publicity stunt. They wanted to draw attention and they got it.

7. oldtimer

Isn't most advertising a publicity stunt in one way or another,

Have you seen some of the ads that are done by car insurance companies on TV where they compare some people to Rats and are encouraging others to exterminate them just because those so called Rats are bringing new ideas to the World that the status quo doesn't like.

IMO

8. carob

carob Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

It clearly has a "licence to be killed".

Goodbye.mr.bond

9. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP

i think you give them far too much credit.

10. oldtimer

You underestimate the power of logic, it can shift the ground right under your feet.

11. strong

strong VIP Member NameBio Staff DomainNameNews.com VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Why not just go for this instead.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. oldtimer

I value all opinions specially if they are presented in a logical and professional manner,

But it bothers me to see that some of the people who claim to be progressive and open minded are actually the ones that are standing in the way of progress for the Humanity and this Planet. Sure they promise you equality and opportunity for everyone, but when it comes to changing their behavior it seems that they are the biggest obstacle in the way of freedom.

No they don't want to control their lust or greed, as they are living it up and enjoying themselves while the society is being consumed by addiction to sex, drugs, and alcohol.

And I never understood how these people can have multiple million dollar mansions and luxury cars if they really cared about the Environment as they claim.

And if you say something critical of them they turn their whole machine against you and make you the subject of all kinds of ridicule and attacks.

The way that I look at this is that the people who always want to belittle others or who use foul language are the same people who are supporting religious extremist and political dictators across the World and ultimately want to subjugate the rest of us to the same things by eroding our self confidence and self worth.

I respect all people regardless of their race, religion, ethnicity, gender, gender preferences, or any disabilities, but only if they are willing to ascend to a higher level of thinking and existence and are going to abandon the status quo that has been ailing Humanity and this Planet for so long.

IMO

13. MadAboutDomains

MadAboutDomains Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  14. MadAboutDomains

MadAboutDomains Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

I would agree if the ad was properly 007 branded, but it's branded in a way as to be similar but not associate itself with the official brand imho.

However it failed to fully dissociate itself, because they used many of their trademarks in one ad.

The James Bond 007 rights holders will have strict guidelines that they follow when it comes to licensing, as this is part of their business as a film franchise. Can you imagine their remit including willingly giving someone free reign on multiple domains that match their trademarks?

Does the Sedo listing or the ad mention licensing? Usually licensing agreements include displaying that it is being used under licensed. If I bought the name should I expect to receive such license when I receive the domain that I am free of risk of udrp? What is the benefit of the deal for the franchiser?

When I ask myself many questions about this my conclusion is that it's fishy as hell.

15. oldtimer

Looks like the banner at Namepros is gone and there doesn't seem to be a listing at Sedo for those domains anymore, so it appears that they have stopped this promo.

IMO

16. blogspotter

blogspotter Top Contributor VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Was going to say the same thing :)

17. frank-germany

frank-germany domainer since 2001 / musician VIP

different law applies for "well known" trademarks

its plain stupid.

18. oldtimer

If there was no arrangement or agreement involved in this case between the Registry and the TM owners, then the fact that the TM owners allowed this promo to go on without taking any action to stop it means that a portion of the blame lays at their feet too.

TM owners are responsible to protect their TM at all cost, if they are laxed about letting others infringe on their TM and dilute their rights then they take a chance of losing their TM.

All the TM owners had to do was to send a letter of cease and desist right at the beginning of this promo (or as soon as they became aware of it).

And I repeat, we still don't know if there was some kind of an agreement or arrangement involved in this case or not, the Registry is the one that has to clarify that.

If there was no agreement or arrangement between the parties involved here, then the Registry should have known better to take on a promo like this.

By the way it was more prudent for @jberryhill as on officer of the court to inform the TM holders of this situation than to make a thread about it before knowing all the facts.

IMO

19. Windoms

Windoms Top Contributor VIP

@jberryhill have you contacted them?

20. Steven McEvoy

Steven McEvoy StevenMcEvoy.com VIP

My question is how did it get approved in the first place... what a waste of money.

21. oldtimer

As I said there might have been some kind of an agreement or understating between all the parties involved, absent that I believe that it was a big mistake to run such ads (It appears that they have been stopped now).

IMO

22. oldtimer

On the subject of people doing wrong kinds of ads,

Well now those car insurance companies have moved from Rats to Ants by comparing the elderly among us to Ants and giving us the subliminal message that they are a nuisance and need to be exterminated too.

The problem is that these are not just some funny and harmless ads, they show how the status quo needs to resort to killing in order to preserve its power and protect its interest. And yes they do kill in so many ways and the people who follow them like sheep are knowingly or unknowingly taking part in all those killings too.

We have come to a major crossroads in the history of humanity, the question is are we willing and able to ascend to a higher level of thinking and existence and can we find common grounds over the Universal values and principals that are derived through logic and compassion or are we going to allow those who are benefiting from the status quo to brainwash us into being subservient to them and letting them use us as slaves to become even richer and more powerful and gain even more influence over our lives.

Perhaps we need to scrutinize the advertising industry a little more going forward. We can't allow a few people behind the scene to control us for their own benefit any longer.

IMO

23. Grego85

Grego85 Quality.Domains VIP

What about Namepros enabling this whole thing by offering a space to advertise TM infringing domains, just for a profit?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  24. bmugford

bmugford www.DataCube.com PRO VIP ICA Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Yeah, pretty ridiculous in my view.

Brad

25. theodore_zhou

theodore_zhou DNN.ME,WCC.ME,VXDF.COM,TJVQ.COM,ZYHY.COM for sale.

sedo shows this domain is sold

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice