IT.COM

A warning to domain squatters everywhere. Meatloaf sues Squatter

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Guy didn't realize that he was doing something wrong using meatloaf.org - I'm talking here about the domain name
He is not a squatter IMO
Why Meat Loaf didn't go for a .com? Ah cause he can't take it because of the generic term.
It's better and easier to take domain from poor performer.

Anybody could check - http://web.archive.org/web/20090515153720/http://www.meatloaf.org/ It's clearly written: To Hell and Back - Tribute to Meat Loaf

Last edited:
•••
Meatloaf sucks and now i hate him too... what a jerk.

•••
I don't think this is a case of cyber squatting, the guy was a tribute artist and ran the site for over 12, years - this was a case of another forgotten "star" who wanted to make news.

The sad part is a .org ? and he went after someone that idolize him to the point to be a tribute act .. that is the lowest point on this dingbat career.. what a lowlife - picking legal fights with people working to keep his music relevant (somehow) .....

•••
I don't think this is a case of cyber squatting, the guy was a tribute artist and ran the site for over 12, years - this was a case of another forgotten "star" who wanted to make news.

The sad part is a .org ? and he went after someone that idolize him to the point to be a tribute act .. that is the lowest point on this dingbat career.. what a lowlife - picking legal fights with people working to keep his music relevant (somehow) .....

He should pay licensing fee though.. Or have royalties cleared.

ML is still a douchebat.

•••
Technically he was trading off his name ,so normally you would expect any domain to be transfered,however, i don't see this as black and white, the guy was a tribute act and idolised Meatloaf, a quick explanation of the ins and outs of domaining and cybersquatting,some free all access tickets and a meet and greet would have been the way forward, not suing the guy .

I agree with DU, Meatloaf is a has been douchebag for taking it this far.

•••
Agree with you guys.
From tomorrow - I am vegan

•••
Celebrity cases run the gamut, anyone saying or believing there is only one way with all of these has not studied history.

Oliver Stone purchased his name for $6000 and signed a copy of the script of his upcoming movie at the time.

Read more here

•••
A "squatter" is someone that is doing something illegal. The term is used all too often for domain investors even when there is zero trademark infringement.

In this case, there could have been. But rather than hammer on someone that seems to have been a fan, any concerns could have been negotiated first to see if an agreement could be reached.

Don't get me wrong, everyone needs to protect their rights. But too often the lawyers tell people and companies that they need to squash this abuse and extract the proper measure of blood. Sometimes they should.

But in most cases a domain owner will respond when you contact them with concerns that are reasonable. In this case, the small gains appear to be outweighing the negative PR and the former domain that was a "tribute" now redirects to meatloaf.net where it may bring some traffic, but most will know about the official site anyway. Why decrease the amount of promotional content about yourself in this manner?

It makes no sense to me and I posted a message that says as much on Meatloaf's Facebook page. I would have contacted him via his web site, but like so many larger sites, there is no facility for doing that. No contact form, email address, or phone number. Nada.

Have an opinion? Go to Meatloaf's Facebook page and let him know. I am sure he will be interested either way you feel about this, but be professional, ok? :)

•••
My mom use to make the worst meatloaf ever....

•••
•••
Meatloaf....

Terrible name.

Terrible singer.

And oh yeah, I forgot about his successful acting career. Lol.

I can't wait to see the non-profit site he uses with the .org.

What a tool.

•••
Someone makes a living being a meat loaf tribute singer? didnt he have only one hit? lol

And was doing it for 16 years? D-:

£18,000 causes him to go bankrupt?

Hand to mouth concert living.

Oh yeah on the domain thing, what you expect with using artist name dot extension.

Goodluck with the Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy Tour meat loaf dude.

•••
Go to Meatloaf's Facebook page and let him know. I am sure he will be interested either way you feel about this, but be professional, ok? :)

OR use a 99 c coupon to register MeatloafSucks.com (marvinleeaday.com because that's a non commercial name - his real one) and let him know what you think.

Review Paypalsucks.com for advice.

Do it professionally - hire a Namepros Designer/Logo.. lmfao

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 AM ----------

Someone makes a living being a meat loaf tribute singer? didnt he have only one hit? lol

It was an album though.

•••
•••
you can have a website about apples or windows, but if its in the domain and about computers it would clearly be an issue.

look at how many names you see for sale with iphone or something in it.

The rules are somewhat clear, but as more and more break them courst will get involved and their decisions will likely be awful and fair from uniform.

•••
Why Meat Loaf didn't go for a .com? Ah cause he can't take it because of the generic term.
It's better and easier to take domain from poor performer.

The important thing is not that the TERM is generic, but that the .com is being USED generically. The .org was being used in connection with his name.

That said, I doubt there was any need to take this as far as he did. Probably talked into it by a lawyer looking for a paycheck.

(Unless the tribute singer's act was really bad???)

•••
(Unless the tribute singer's act was really bad???)

I would have thought that would be a pre requisite for any meatloaf tribute act,otherwise it's completely unrealistic.:D

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back