Domain Empire

news A teenage girl in China spent $64,000 on mobile games

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameInbox

Top Member
Impact

A teenage girl found her mom's debit card and spent $64,000 on mobile games, wiping out her family's life savings​

1686633916003.png

• A teenage girl in China spent her family's life savings on mobile-game transactions.
  • She spent some $64,000 from January to May through her mother's debit card.
  • She told the outlet that she deleted the chat and transaction records to hide them from her mother.

A 13-year-old girl in China spent around $64,000 of her parents' money on mobile games this year, wiping out their savings account without their knowledge.
https://www.insider.com/teenage-girl-moms-debit-card-64000-mobile-games-family-savings-2023-6

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Careless and irresponsible parents. They never had an eye on the girl or the money saved.
Now they all learned a lesson by donating a huge amount to the gaming industry.

•••
Careless and irresponsible parents. They never had an eye on the girl or the money saved.
Now they all learned a lesson by donating a huge amount to the gaming industry.
I wouldn't put the blame on the parents, they're working parents and kids can be sneaky.

I would blame their bank or debit card-provider for not relying on an authentication app for online purchases. I don't know China's legal system, but these purchases should be considered valid since they were not made by the debit card owner, furthermore they weren't not even made with the owner's consent or knowledge.

Last edited:
•••
I wouldn't put the blame on the parents, they're working parents and kids can be sneaky.

I would blame their bank or debit card-provider for not relying on an authentication app for online purchases. I don't know China's legal system, but these purchases should be considered valid since they were not made by the debit card owner, furthermore they weren't not even made with the owner's consent or knowledge.
But it was happening for months. Not just once or twice.
And, yes, card payments should have otp process everytime when the amount is above a particular limit, so that it will bring it to the owners attention immediately.

•••
But it was happening for months. Not just once or twice.

And, yes, card payments should have otp process everytime when the amount is above a particular limit, so that it will bring it to the owners attention immediately.
I'm not sure how this works in China. But the article says that the daughter did delete the transaction history, and she did manage to keep her parents in the dark. And the fact that the parents didn't know is enough for me to side with them.

The parents are not liable to check their account balance every few days. Sure, they should do it, but they shouldn't have to do it.

•••
I'm not sure how this works in China. But the article says that the daughter did delete the transaction history, and she did manage to keep her parents in the dark. And the fact that the parents didn't know is enough for me to side with them.

The parents are not liable to check their account balance every few days. Sure, they should do it, but they shouldn't have to do it.
Agree. But it's a hard lesson they
have learned. With huge amount I would always go for a better bank that provides more features to avoid these kind of unexpected things. Many debit cards come with online limits settings which customers can easily use to avoid unknown withdrawals/spendings/misuse of cards etc.
It's a lesson for other people as well, though it's not the first time these kind of things are happening.

•••
I post it, as some people have games addiction/hobby spend time on it, some domaning :ROFL: ...
and they spend money on it (use only you own risky capital!)

Last edited:
•••
Only let your children have access to low limit credit card.

•••
•••
$64000 in 4 months..!!!

What was that app for Gambling/Binary Trading/Sports Betting/NFT? Anything left?

sounds something addictive.

An app allowing minors and letting them use cards. Cases like these are now becoming news around the globe.

If technology is the problem then technology is the solution. I am sure there are many ways to reduce such incidents with the help of tech.

•••
Future problem may be your virtual family spending all your money. :unsure:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back