IT.COM

A real newbie question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
ok so im new to the game but i have spent like 72 straight hours filling a notebook full of domains that i want to buy and then i checked my bank balance. so i have to narrow the list of 5000 down to 5... my question is this:

i have found many examples of .coms being sold for anywhere form $850-$21,500 where the .net is available or the .info, or for the $21k one the .us is the only tld available. should i buy these other tlds if the .com is commanding a high enough price? or am i better of buying ie, a 2keyword .com that has 10,000+ exact match searches per month with a CPC of $2 or i have also found MANY one word .biz and .us domains as well.

of the 4 possibilities how do they rank? A. .net or.org or .info of a high dollar .com or B. .us of a super high dollar .com or C. keywordphrase.com or D. one word .biz or .us?

whoever answers this will be my hero.

thank you in advance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Generally speaking, for purely resale purposes ... stick with the .COM's (in your example, "2keyword .com that has 10,000+ exact match searches per month with a CPC of $2"), IMHO. :yell:

PS. Excellent job doing the research and getting your list down to a handful of domains ... most new domainers absolutely KILL themselves with very bad Reg's and year upon years worth of costly :$: renewals! :guilty: :imho:

All the best!
-Jeff B-)

•••
Generally buy .com only. Ask yourself if anyone would really want to build a real business on this domain before buying it. That should be your main reason to invest in a domain. The number of search results, number of advertisers and rates for keywords are all secondary criterias.
There is a good long thread here about .net dropping. Read it. .Net is an excellent choice if you can build websites and understand SEO. But only buy really strong keywords in .net. I would not buy .info or .us.

•••
thanks for the input...

still i cant get my mind past certain very temppting scenarios like where i just found a .biz that gets 1.2 million exact searches per month. yes really!

but its .biz. is that something that renders it worthless. reason i ask is i just saw some recent results from auctions and i see plenty of .net .mobi, .info and .us selling for thousands.

and i just saw b-ball.biz selling for $26,000 so certainly some .biz that can still be hand reg are still worth thousands right?

and even .us? obviously i dont have fly.us but still there are some really great one word .us available and even some very highly searched financial services keyword phrase .us as well.

so i understand how important .com is but when i see a 2 or 3 word .co.uk sell for 5 figures and the .us or .biz is available for 10 bucks how in the world can i not reg that and flip it for at least 500 bucks by friday? if not way more?

you guys know - i dont - so i would really like to know if you would pass up on hand regging for instance a .net domain where the .com just sold for $3500 or a .us domain where the .com just sold for $25,000. i mean how on earth could i possibly lose with either of those scenarios?

thanks again for the quick reply.i think you just saved me the $19.95 i was about to pay for DNF. lol.

i just came across another 3 word keyword phrase where the .com is selling for $50,000 but the .org, .biz and .us are available. am i an idiot if i dont buy these 3 domains or is .com the only thing i should be focusing on???

thanks again.

•••
.com is the only choice for start up investers like yourself. Ask yourself one question, who in the world is going to type .biz? I fell for the .biz trap several years back and realized their is 0 interest from end users and Domainers!

.com is the only choice, I'm sure of this - cause I'm still finding .com gems on a daily basis! If I can find .coms under $100, you can too and you would be wasting your money on other tlds! which is by far harder to sell!

.com = Power, Money, Respect!

•••
before you continue on saying that these domains you've found are "selling" for certain (high) prices, can i just ask whether you're saying that these domains are listed for sale at those prices, or that they have actually sold for those prices?

it was very wise of you to have cut the list down to only five :tu:. for now i'd still suggest that you stick to .coms and see how you the five you have now hold up. if you can move those quickly for decent amounts then by all means branch out a bit and take bigger steps.

•••
I completely agree with the statements above. Especially: stick with .com and limit yourself to 5 to start with. I picked up .info's last year when I was starting off most of these will drop..... luckily I picked them up @ $1 a piece but still.

Also as everyone suggests beware of automatic appraisals stick only to real sales for values and research them to make sure they took place.

If you do go into .org make sure the domains fit the extension. This is also true with cctlds. There have been loads of occasions of people regging an american term in co.uk or vice versa.

Good Luck

•••
The above responses give some great advice on where to start. We just did a beginning domainer guide at Marketophile.com that was basically a summary on this exact topic.

If you're looking at straight "domain resale" always stick with "dot com". That isn't to say that you won't make some great sales on the others (we all have)...but the money is in dot com.

If you're looking into developing however (for monetizing using adsense, affiliate marketing, etc.) those .info, .net, and .org names might be gold.

Good luck and welcome to the business!
As the above poster said....make sure to sleep. Many a dumb domaining decision can be attributed to lack of sleep....trust me:)

Thirty3Down
www.marketophile.com

•••
I am beginning to realize that some of my domains may not be worth the costs of registering them, which is a real bummer.. Have a bunch of domains in the .us, and only a few in the .com area.. Also have all of my domains cloaked, so that no one sees the whois info.. Is that not a good thing? Or should I uncloak them in case someone wants to buy one.

Thanks - Chris

•••
risenson said:
I am beginning to realize that some of my domains may not be worth the costs of registering them, which is a real bummer.. Have a bunch of domains in the .us, and only a few in the .com area.. Also have all of my domains cloaked, so that no one sees the whois info.. Is that not a good thing? Or should I uncloak them in case someone wants to buy one.
a very motivated buyer should be able to still contact you. are your domains currently parked, have a website with a way to contact you, etc?

•••
ok guys thanks for the good advice. actually i havent bought one on this list yet and the list is now almost 25 pages 2 columns front and back so actually over 100 pages worth of domains that i honestly have a hard time deciding which is better than the next. also i do sleep but it was the last 72 waking hours putting together the list.

lastly, while many of these domains i speak of are on sale for $xx,xxx but a strong % (about15%) have actually sold for 4-5 figures for .com. andmany of these are available for .us

still no one has yet to tell me that if a .com sells for $25,000 then i should buy the .us if available for $10. no one has yet said yes "go for it" and i can only think thats because you want to go get it yourself ;)

someone please tell me --- if i spot a .com that just confirmed sold for over 10 grand and i can buy the .info or the .us that i shouldnt do it- or better yet will someone just tellme i would be crazy not to?

because im gonnajump all over these opportunites if only to turn around and sell it for $100 - hell the .com just sold for $20,000 the .info has to be worth 100 bucks and the .us maybe way more.

im not really greedy but i do think that this domaining business with its literally billions upon billions of 2 word combos is run by a few hundred people who couldnt possibly put together all the valuable handreg possibilites - meaning theremust be still serious opportunity to buy and flip - and i dont need the money right now but i dont want to get married to a portfolio. i wanna get in and get out many many times.

•••
giftangel said:
ok guys thanks for the good advice. actually i havent bought one on this list yet and the list is now almost 25 pages 2 columns front and back so actually over 100 pages worth of domains that i honestly have a hard time deciding which is better than the next. also i do sleep but it was the last 72 waking hours putting together the list.

lastly, while many of these domains i speak of are on sale for $xx,xxx but a strong % (about15%) have actually sold for 4-5 figures for .com. andmany of these are available for .us

still no one has yet to tell me that if a .com sells for $25,000 then i should buy the .us if available for $10. no one has yet said yes "go for it" and i can only think thats because you want to go get it yourself ;)

someone please tell me --- if i spot a .com that just confirmed sold for over 10 grand and i can buy the .info or the .us that i shouldnt do it- or better yet will someone just tellme i would be crazy not to?

because im gonnajump all over these opportunites if only to turn around and sell it for $100 - hell the .com just sold for $20,000 the .info has to be worth 100 bucks and the .us maybe way more.

im not really greedy but i do think that this domaining business with its literally billions upon billions of 2 word combos is run by a few hundred people who couldnt possibly put together all the valuable handreg possibilites - meaning theremust be still serious opportunity to buy and flip - and i dont need the money right now but i dont want to get married to a portfolio. i wanna get in and get out many many times.

I made a rookie mistake and purchased myself domains outside of the .com sector and jumped to conclusion and told myself, just because the .com sold for $10K to $50K - the other tlds will also gain value! 6 years later, I can assure you this method of investment is high risk and did not work out! People will not even pay reg fee in some cases! A domain is only good to someone or an end user, if its a perfect match to what they want to sell!

Who cares what sold for what, I can combine a word or letter to a domain name that sells for 100K and deliver it in .com and still not get a bid!

Stick with .com's and don't overspend! Unless you got money to buy premium .com and development!

•••
giftangel said:
the list is now almost 25 pages 2 columns front and back so actually over 100 pages worth of domains
If you are new at this and your list is that long after 72 hours of brainstorming, there is a 100% chance most of those names are garbage and you just don't know it yet.

Thank goodness you didn't go on a registration spree. Sometimes people post their domain lists here or sales sites in their sigs and they might be 100, 200, 300 long and just about all are trash. When they hit themselves that hard, it's because they didn't study at all before starting buying.

giftangel said:
Few .info's break $100. Even premiums can sell for as little as $10. It gets no respect. If you must buy one, keep it extremely generic.

.us is about as shaky as .info is, plus you add the regional element. I like the future of .us, but I'm not paying renewal fees waiting for them to take off.

giftangel said:
this domaining business with its literally billions upon billions of 2 word combos is run by a few hundred people
Currently Active Users: 1093 (348 members and 745 guests)

And that's just right now on this board alone.

giftangel said:
i see plenty of .net .mobi, .info and .us selling for thousands.
You are mistaken about "plenty" of .mobi, .info and .us selling for thousands. .mobi is a total joke and .us has apparently had only a few verified sales this year.

giftangel said:
and i just saw b-ball.biz selling for $26,000 so certainly some .biz that can still be hand reg are still worth thousands right?
You didn't see it selling for that outrageous price. .biz has taken a big dump. It's waaaay worse than .info.

giftangel said:
when i see a 2 or 3 word .co.uk sell for 5 figures and the .us or .biz is available for 10 bucks how in the world can i not reg that and flip it for at least 500 bucks by friday? if not way more?
If it were that easy, any time a huge sale was reported all the other extensions would be taken quickly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back