Dynadot

Buy domain name or create website or both?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GrifBon

Impact
This is a one-time effort for me and I'm only interested in one domain name. I have an abandoned app project (software development fell through) and I'm sitting on my creations of a 6 character domain name (it would stick in your brain - rolls off the tongue) and logo that are doing nothing for the past two + years. It would be suitable for service companies, retail, wholesale, etc. I've been doing my research and know that the .com version already exists. So the .app version seems the next best thing or maybe .net or .org? But that doesn't answer what I can do with the logo. The net hasn't given me any answers other than possibly selling my logo to the .com owner (seems to be just a domain owner with no website) and I'd have to pay ZoomInfo to join so that I could contact them. So basically I'm saying this involves more than just buying/selling a domain name. It's more of a complete package. Is my best option to just create an actual webpage and register the domain name? Or at the very least, just buy the domain name at this point? I'm not sure it's worth all the hassle for what could be a small profit. Any advice appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Additional question: in lieu of creating a webpage, could I just create a FaceBook page using my domain name after I've purchased it?

•••
This is a one-time effort for me and I'm only interested in one domain name. I have an abandoned app project (software development fell through) and I'm sitting on my creations of a 6 character domain name (it would stick in your brain - rolls off the tongue) and logo that are doing nothing for the past two + years. It would be suitable for service companies, retail, wholesale, etc. I've been doing my research and know that the .com version already exists. So the .app version seems the next best thing or maybe .net or .org? But that doesn't answer what I can do with the logo. The net hasn't given me any answers other than possibly selling my logo to the .com owner (seems to be just a domain owner with no website) and I'd have to pay ZoomInfo to join so that I could contact them. So basically I'm saying this involves more than just buying/selling a domain name. It's more of a complete package. Is my best option to just create an actual webpage and register the domain name? Or at the very least, just buy the domain name at this point? I'm not sure it's worth all the hassle for what could be a small profit. Any advice appreciated.
^
Trying to get my head around this :xf.smile:

So..
You have a partially developed app for which you have a logo.
The name you had in mind is taken in .com, and you wonder whether it is worth registering the name in another extension, and maybe developing a webpage, to sell the name, logo and partially developed app as a package?

•••
^
Trying to get my head around this :xf.smile:

So..
You have a partially developed app for which you have a logo.
The name you had in mind is taken in .com, and you wonder whether it is worth registering the name in another extension, and maybe developing a webpage, to sell the name, logo and partially developed app as a package?
Yes. (Forget about the app...the software is shelved and I won't use that extension). It would seem having a pre-existing logo would add value to reselling the domain name. I am considering creating a FaceBook page after I purchase the domain name (for a 2 year period) and seeing what advantage that might make if I try to resell the domain. The FB page would say the domain name is for sale and would include the logo images. Hope that makes it a bit more clear. :unsure:

•••
It's difficult to say without knowing the name, but from what you've said I'd say probably no.
You have a logo for a brand you think is saleable, but the logo is irrelevant - it's easy to get a good logo. It's all about the name.

You can PM me the name if you'd rather not post it and I'll let you know what I think.

•••
It's difficult to say without knowing the name, but from what you've said I'd say probably no.
You have a logo for a brand you think is saleable, but the logo is irrelevant - it's easy to get a good logo. It's all about the name.

You can PM me the name if you'd rather not post it and I'll let you know what I think.
Thanks for the input. I already know the name is fantastic, so won't share.

•••

It's now registered! Wohooo! The name is "under1.net". Created a FB page too.
Now I'm going to take a break before I try listing for sale. Thanks again for your input.

•••
I think your issue is already solved; I just want to add that you worry too much about a logo, which you can create or hire someone to create on Fiverr. The difficult part is the domain name.
good luck

•••
I think your issue is already solved; I just want to add that you worry too much about a logo, which you can create or hire someone to create on Fiverr. The difficult part is the domain name.
good luck
I'm not worried about the logo. I created it when I came up with the name two years ago. I'd like to sell it along with the domain name.

•••
So if I'm getting you right, all you really have is a (great) brand idea and a logo?

I'm going to be brutally honest here: it's worthless.

You can't sell brand ideas because they're free, and while an existing logo can be valuable it presupposes that someone wants that particular logo: and you can get a good custom logo on Fiverr for under $30.

•••
So if I'm getting you right, all you really have is a (great) brand idea and a logo?

I'm going to be brutally honest here: it's worthless.

You can't sell brand ideas because they're free, and while an existing logo can be valuable it presupposes that someone wants that particular logo: and you can get a good custom logo on Fiverr for under $30.
You're saying the domain name is worthless?

•••
You're saying the domain name is worthless?
No. I can't do that because I don't know what the domain name is.

But considering it's a non-.com domain that's available for registration, it's very likely worthless.

Suppose you register your brand.app, and put it up for sale. Someone comes across it and thinks, "Wow! This is a really great brand!" Their next thought is going to be, "I wonder if the brand.com is for sale." And if it isn't, they may as well register brand.net or brand.org. The point is, you have no leverage in this situation.

If you really believe in the brand you might want to reach out to the owner of the .com and buy it from him. Because if it is a good brand then the .com will command a high value on the market.

•••
No. I can't do that because I don't know what the domain name is.

But considering it's a non-.com domain that's available for registration, it's very likely worthless.

Suppose you register your brand.app, and put it up for sale. Someone comes across it and thinks, "Wow! This is a really great brand!" Their next thought is going to be, "I wonder if the brand.com is for sale." And if it isn't, they may as well register brand.net or brand.org. The point is, you have no leverage in this situation.

If you really believe in the brand you might want to reach out to the owner of the .com and buy it from him. Because if it is a good brand then the .com will command a high value on the market.
Thanks. I posted the name above...."under1.net". I knew the .com version was taken.

•••
Thanks. I posted the name above...."under1.net". I knew the .com version was taken.
There are a couple of issues with under1 as a brand.

First and foremost it's a mixture of letter and numbers, which makes it more difficult to communicate. Because if you say "under one dot com" people are likely to interpret that as "underone.com." This ties into the second issue, which is that numbers are avoided by convention, and domains with numbers are intuitively perceived as unprofessional, and usually associated with malware- or spam sites. This means that people are less likely to click on links directing to it, hurting the SERP-rankings. Another issue is the versatility of it. The impression I'm getting is "it's under one dollar," but that's fairly limited in its application.

I would've advised against buying under1.com unless paired with underone.com, in which case I'd say that they're worth roughly three figures together (and that's mainly because of underone.com). As for the .net I don't think you could sell it period. Hopefully I'm wrong. But that's my take. Good luck.

•••
There are a couple of issues with under1 as a brand.

First and foremost it's a mixture of letter and numbers, which makes it more difficult to communicate. Because if you say "under one dot com" people are likely to interpret that as "underone.com." This ties into the second issue, which is that numbers are avoided by convention, and domains with numbers are intuitively perceived as unprofessional, and usually associated with malware- or spam sites. This means that people are less likely to click on links directing to it, hurting the SERP-rankings. Another issue is the versatility of it. The impression I'm getting is "it's under one dollar," but that's fairly limited in its application.

I would've advised against buying under1.com unless paired with underone.com, in which case I'd say that they're worth roughly three figures together (and that's mainly because of underone.com). As for the .net I don't think you could sell it period. Hopefully I'm wrong. But that's my take. Good luck.
Thank you and thanks for the input. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. All of this started for me with an organizing app being developed that got shelved, leaving me with a name and art.....everything you need under one umbrella sort of thing.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back