Domain Empire

A Rant About A Domain...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
People. :(

Alright, so once upon a time I used to run a website with a few guys. One of them registered a domain, bigmoneywrestling.com, and we owned this name for about 2 years. Last December the domain was to run out, and the guy that originally bought it lost his GoDaddy account details, so we where unable to renew it. I knew nothing about back-orders and wasn't really interested in paying out for one of them, after all, who would want the domain 'edit' :|

As far as I remember the expirey date for the domain was 21st/22nd December 2003. I was planning on keeping a close eye on this name unless it was dropped and became avaliable again, so that I could purchase it. I watched it through December and through this month. Nothing changed with the Whois. I knew the domain goes into a holding status once expired but I wasn't sure for how long before it got deleted. Does anybody know!?

I just checked the domain out tonight, and got the same 'Taken' notice upon search. I decided to type my domain in, and hey, what do you know, it redirected me to a new website. D-: :( I was shocked. I then checked out the Whois information and it tells me the following:

Updated Date: 31-dec-2003
Creation Date: 21-dec-2001
Expiration Date: 21-dec-2004

How could the above possibly work? Can Back-Orders grab domain names during the 'holding' time? How come I'm only getting this information 25 days after it was last updated? (I was using domainwhitepages.com)

I'm not sure if you guys understand excatly what I'm trying to get at, but if you do, I'd appreciate your help on trying to figure this one out for me. :)

Also, I talked to the guy that originally had overship of the domain in his account, which he lost the details to, and he has no idea what has happened.

I own the .net of this domain name, but I was waiting until I grabbed the .com before reopening a fan website for it. Soo much for that idea.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
looks like your friend fond his account info.

•••
Hmmm Some progress I think..

Just chatting with the guy that originally owned the domain.

It seems the website the domain redirects to is a website owned by his family. For some reason, (possibly to do with the server?), 'edit is getting redirected to there...

I have no idea whats up. It's weird.

Last edited:
•••
Complete explanation at http://snapnames.com/deleteprocess.html

Your domain expired 21-dec-2003, at which point your registrar marked it as such, and placed a temporary one-year renewal on it (if you don't renew, they can get a refund).

At this stage, the domain record remains cached for several days at local name servers. Your ISP may even cache it indefinitely until such time as they get new DNS data. Your website and email shall continue working as long as the DNS record is cached. But within the next few days or weeks this cached data will begin deleting throughout the internet, and your domain will gradually become unreachable.

If godaddy uses the max time allowed in the expiration cycle, then your domain should be available on or around 10march2004.

I suggest you edit your post unless you want other domainers to become interested. :hehe:

Also. why don't you try having your friend email or call godaddy? You still have a few days/weeks to recover this domain.

Good luck!

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back