IT.COM

A question about Premium Domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hostkobo

Established Member
Impact
Hi,

Up till now, I thought that premium domains are just expensive domains already registered by an individual / company and listed just "for sale".

Then I saw this:

'lagos.party' on Godaddy goes for "$6,499.99 for the first year and then $39.99 when you renew."
telephone.party goes for $3,249.99 for the first year.

I searched for another domain.party and it was at $19/year.

Does this mean that someone has pre-registered these premium domains somehow with Godaddy, and maybe has paid some xyz-dollars for the initial 1-year registration cost to be this much $6,499.99?

If not, if the cost is set by Godaddy, is there any general criteria / rules of judgment used to arrive at such a cost?

regards
HK

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GTLD prices seem to be jacked up for keywords with heavy demand/a lot of extensions taken. Wonder how many are actually acquired, though.

•••
These are both Registry reserved domains. You can buy at Dynadot lagos.party for $6000, telephone.party for $3000, with renewals of $23.97 each. Must be some kind of crazy Registry (Famous Four Media) to reserve those domains.

domain.party is an actually registered Registry Reserved Domain by Famous Four Media. When these nGTLDs first came out you couldn't register domains left of the dot, if there was a top level domain of the same name, right of the dot.

There are probably different terms to define Registered and Unregistered Registry Reserved Domains. But I don't know what those terms are.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back